My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shriners, Scottish Rite or York Rite

Scottish Rite, York Rite or Shrine

• Scottish Rite

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • York Rite

Votes: 46 30.7%
  • Shrine

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Grotto

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • OES

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Lodge only...no time for anything else.

Votes: 41 27.3%

• Total voters

Beathard

Premium Member
I had the same question. Nola is a city near Napels, Italy. It is also an abbreviation for New Orleans. No idea what the reference is here.

Jacob Johnson

I suppose if I could only choose one, it'd be blue lodge... if i could only choose one appendant body, it'd DEFINITELY be AASR.

Tony Siciliano

Premium Member
Yeah, sorry guys.

New Orleans, LA (NOLA). There are only 5 or so "Scottish Rite" symbolic Lodges ("Red Lodges") operating in the U.S. They are all under the jurisdiciton of the GL of Louisiana.

Here's a little write-up on it.

Last edited:

JJones

I voted York Rite. I've been a member for several years and I'm just now starting to appreciate the significance of the York Rite degrees. If blue lodge was a 3 layer cake then the degrees from York Rite would be the icing. :)

SWATFrog

Premium Member
JJones said:
I voted York Rite. I've been a member for several years and I'm just now starting to appreciate the significance of the York Rite degrees. If blue lodge was a 3 layer cake then the degrees from York Rite would be the icing. :)

So mote it be

chadwalker67

I would really like to join the Grotto especially because they do so much for Special Needs children. I'm proud to be a member of the OES, Scottish Rite, York Rite and Shrine but next to Blue Lodge it's the York Rite for me.

Mac

Premium Member
I've appreciated all the further light the Scottish Rite has to offer, especially in the form of guided self study.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Kinda what they call the money shot out in the high mountains ... ain't it?

Brothers I love the Scottish Rite.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Third Thursday night at Holland 1, starting with dinner at seven and lodge at eight PM. Dark in August.

Check out the Houston Valley website for calendar. We have a reunion coming up in September as well.

If you aren't in, get with me and I'll get you petition. Light is available for those who search.

Wingnut

Premium Member
If you can only do one, Blue Lodge. Without it there are no others. If you dont count blue lodge and mean one OTHER... Scottish Rite. The University of Masonry. Want more light? Join Scottish Rite... Lite beer? Shrine

MikeMay

Premium Member
You will! You're looking too closely for more light.

I did. Austin Valley had their Lodge of Perfection on Nov 5th. Now I'm waiting on my second Master Craftsman Lesson to arrive. Man, talk about drinking from a fire hydrant...that's a lot of light!

Timothy Fleischer

I have been a Mason for over 15 years, involved in my hometown Lodge (Salado #296). I have been giving a great deal of thought to the other bodies, but not sure if I am willing to make the commitment in time and/or money.
I may yet join York or Scottish Rite (or both).