My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sons of Light Worldwide MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

scialytic

Premium Member
This is nothing more than another distraction from what we need to be doing as Freemasons, working on the internal temple and learning the ancient mysteries passed down to us by our forefathers. We need to be leaders in the community, and upright citizens. Not make our hobbies into apendent bodies and distract further from the Work.

This is exactly what will help membership retention...attending Lodge and leading by example. Very few people are interested in attending any function where the Tiler has to speak in two tones of voice and hop in and out of the door to Tile the Lodge. If Brothers would apportion their time accordingly to spend some at Lodge instead of (only) extra-Masonic meetings/functions, those Brothers on the fence may become dedicated leaders of your Lodge someday--instead of leaving--and remaining Entered Apprentices for the rest of their lives.

chrmc

This is exactly what will help membership retention...attending Lodge and leading by example. Very few people are interested in attending any function where the Tiler has to speak in two tones of voice and hop in and out of the door to Tile the Lodge. If Brothers would apportion their time accordingly to spend some at Lodge instead of (only) extra-Masonic meetings/functions, those Brothers on the fence may become dedicated leaders of your Lodge someday--instead of leaving--and remaining Entered Apprentices for the rest of their lives.

Exactly this. As I've said in previous discussions I enjoy many things outside masonry, but I would never want to make them a masonic body. I cannot understand the need to do it for motorcycle clubs. If anyone wants to organize a ride for their lodge, or even lodges in the area I'm sure that would be fine, but why have a masonic MC club?

As the two previous posters say masonry is about working on the internal temple, and also becoming a better man. What part of riding a bike (or playing golf, hunting, yachting, cooking etc.) accomplishes that?

widows son

Premium Member
Great points. I've never associated owning a motorcycle with being an outlaw. It's a vehicle. That's like saying owning a camero or a charger puts you in that "1%"

scialytic

Premium Member
As the two previous posters say masonry is about working on the internal temple, and also becoming a better man. What part of riding a bike (or playing golf, hunting, yachting, cooking etc.) accomplishes that?

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!!! I still want my Masonic Golf Club: "Sons from Dimpled, White-Balls" to be a recognized Masonic Body! I thought we were only blocking Motorcyclists! I think this thread is getting a little off course!

Vikti

For me, I have 4 other people under my roof and between work and home I have very little personal time to do my memory work. I'm one of those people who can't remember anything unless I at least mumble what I want to remember. That leaves me with 2 places I can do my work, at the lodge or shooting down the highway at 70 mph. Ask anyone who has done a few 200+ mile rides, you can get a lot of thinking done. As far as the rest of the biker culture goes, I really can't tell you the whys, either your a biker or your not.

Every few weeks or so I read a posting from someone concerned about membership numbers. I've spoken several times with a group of Christian bikers called the Circuit Riders who sometimes recruit people and helps them improve themselves in their own way, why not Masonry. I can see why Grand Lodge is concerned about Masonry getting associated as a bad group because there are some people out there who see someone riding a motorcycle wearing a leather vest and assume that he's a bad man up to no good and that's all they want to see, nothing else. But who's to say there aren't good Masons-to-be out there but they haven't seen a venue comfortable to them to approach us for membership.

Damon

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
For me, I have 4 other people under my roof and between work and home I have very little personal time to do my memory work. I'm one of those people who can't remember anything unless I at least mumble what I want to remember. That leaves me with 2 places I can do my work, at the lodge or shooting down the highway at 70 mph. Ask anyone who has done a few 200+ mile rides, you can get a lot of thinking done. As far as the rest of the biker culture goes, I really can't tell you the whys, either your a biker or your not.

If so very much time is taken up in your life simply by motorcycles, maybe you need to decide whether it's more important to be "a biker" or put in the effort for the "memory work". My Obligation in no way instructed me that Freemasonry was to bend itself around my hobbies and avocations. I don't demand Masons recognize some kind of appendant body for masonic fencers, brewers, or any of my other interests.

But who's to say there aren't good Masons-to-be out there but they haven't seen a venue comfortable to them to approach us for membership.

And who's to say that this is the real reason for membership problems? The perception of the Masonic membership issue is badly distorted away from reality. We look at the raw numbers and boohoo about loss of the Golden Days of the 1950s. So, gimmicks are tried, recasting and dressing up Freemasonry in "modern" or "more open" costumes. They won't work.

First, the actual peak of membership in the USA, adjusting for population changes, was 1927. That's right, 1927! Put that in your pipe and smoke it. When adjusting for total population size, we were already in decline, but two elements masked it.

1: Total increasing population gave a larger overall pool.
2: WWII created a gigantic cohort of men already well-conditioned to seek out fraternal organizations. Once that cohort of men had reached a certain age, they were no longer interested, and the original trend reasserted itself.

"Relevance" and fashionable appearance have nothing to do with Masonic membership. Something else is going on, and it's been going on for a very long time.

jvarnell

Premium Member
I think what Vikti was saying is that the road time helps him rember. everyone learns and rembers deferent and Vikti must be more a right braind persion like me. I also remember better if i work with my mintor then hop on my bike ride and repeat it to my self. It is called "the psychology of motorcycle riding" some get it some don't. And the part about riders and the Mason's is that more people see a Masonic back patch than see the licens plates some have or even ring. It has nothing to do with fashion.

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
I don't buy what you are selling. So the Christian Motorcyclists Association (CMA) has beat-ins for members and is a bad group?

Wait...you mean beat ins aren't supposed to be a part of lodge initiation? :7: I have a bone to pick with my Lodge!

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
Brother Vick I was on the fence with this whole issue at first but one statement you made really hit the nail on the head. "We need to be leaders in the community, and upright citizens. Not make our hobbies into apendent bodies and distract further from the Work." That and the point you made about being not showing up to Blue Lodge anymore once they join an appendant body say it all...we can have our hobbies, we can ride our bikes, but we do we really need to make appendant bodies out of every hobby we have...I don't think we do...the more groups we "officially" join outside of Blue Lodge, the more time that is taken away from the Lodge.

jvarnell

Premium Member
Brother Vick I was on the fence with this whole issue at first but one statement you made really hit the nail on the head. "We need to be leaders in the community, and upright citizens. Not make our hobbies into apendent bodies and distract further from the Work." That and the point you made about being not showing up to Blue Lodge anymore once they join an appendant body say it all...we can have our hobbies, we can ride our bikes, but we do we really need to make appendant bodies out of every hobby we have...I don't think we do...the more groups we "officially" join outside of Blue Lodge, the more time that is taken away from the Lodge.

I agree with the idea that it might be a hobby but the WS edict bans the patch on there backs and texas masons that wear it can be disaplined. This will be the same with this body because they require the members be MM. Like SeeKer.MM said if it is apart of the Blue Lodge it may keep more MM coming to lodge.

All this is my last public statment about this. I am tired of playing go fech another rock that was not the one I ment.

Morgan B. Cook

Morgan we would love to see you at lodge in Belton #166 - Second Thursday Stated meetings the other Thursdays are Called or practice.

Thanks. I moved to Belton a little over a year ago, and have attended one meeting. Its hard for me too with work because I am on call a lot, (Funeral Director). I really am wanting to attend more, and will be planning on joining the Belton lodge. I am also interested in the Salado Lodge as well.

chrmc

Like SeeKer.MM said if it is apart of the Blue Lodge it may keep more MM coming to lodge.

But see that's the point. Motorcycles shouldn't be what attracts people to the blue lodge. It should be what attracts people to a motor cycle club. What should attract men to blue lodges is quality and meaningful ritual work where they can see a path to follow to become a better man. I don't think we're loosing members in blue lodges because we don't have motorcycles or good food. I think we're loosing members because we often don't even have Masonry there any more.

As a smart PM from my lodge once said. Remember, you can get charity work, companionship and education many places. Masonry is the only place that offer - masonry.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Very good point indeed. Sort of puts this discussion "back on the road."

Thanks chrmc: sound logic.

chrmc

Thank you. I know it's not how to get the Blue Lodge back on track where discussing here, and don't want to steal the debate, but I highly encourage people to read the paper "Laudable Pursuit" which the group Knights of the North put out some years ago. It deals with a lot of the challenges we see in the lodges today, and I personally think it offers many good solutions.
The link to it is http://traditionalobservance.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/KOTN_-_Laudable_Pursuit.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.