My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suit or Tux

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
From the Internet Lodge 9659 FAQ;
Q: What is appropriate dress?
A: See the summons. Dark suit with white shirt is appropriate, or you can wear morning dress (short black coat with striped trousers).
Q: What tie is appropriate?
A: See the summons. Black, or Craft or Provincial (East Lancs) tie is permitted. You can obtain an East Lancs tie from the Tyler.
Q: Are brown shoes permitted?
A: What are brown shoes?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
We don't have an official dress code at my lodge, but we do have an understood standard of dress.
Same here, golf shirts and slacks.
We have turned people around at the door when they showed up wearing shorts.
I once attended an officer installation and the Brother being installed as Junior Warden was wearing jean shorts and a sweat shirt with the sleeves cut off. I couldn't believe it.

dfreybur

Premium Member
The thinking behind this is it puts everyone on the level. It's hard (for most guys) to tell the difference between a $100 tux vrs $1,000 tux. I've had mine for 13 years, they are the most hard wearing suit I've ever owned and it is still in good order... the pants also allow for wide adjustment over the years due to the side clips...

I'm a member of a dress up lodge, so I own two. One even fits. Time, patience and perseverance will accomplish all things, including a tux "shrinking". ;^)

I'm a member of a dress down lodge. I have a ton of polo shirts and a couple of denim shirts with Masonic logos.

As long as I know the uniform I'll do fine. I've been at meetings where since the Brothers adhere to the local dress code I couldn't tell at a glance the Brother who had to save up to pay his dues from the Brother worth millions. One wore a suit off the rack at a thrift store, the other wore the oldest suit in his closet. It's a subtle extra way to be on the level for lodges that are not dress up lodges.

Then again dressing in black and white is very sharp. There's a saying that a lodge is, or should be, tiled in those colors. It's a pun in addition to being a moral allegory.

Elexir

Didn't say I wouldn't wear a suit. But I don't wear one in my usual profession and to be honest don't care wearing them much at all. But some occasions suits are required.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Okay.
I was just curious, I dont usuly wear one myself in my line of work myself but here we only have the choice between tails and a dark suit for most meetings

I agree with you. Suits are not required at a regular business meeting at either of the lodges that I belong to. If this were voted on and the result was that suits are then required I would still attend these lodges but I would have voted against it.

Ah, fair enough.
We dont really have meetings that focus on anything else then degree work so then normal clothes wouldnt fit.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
We dont really have meetings that focus on anything else then degree work so then normal clothes wouldnt fit.
The majority of our meetings are regular business meetings. However, when we have ritual work all officers, and most members and visitors, are dressed in coat and tie.

Keith C

Our lodge is coat and tie for brothers, Tailcoat, tuxedo shirt, black waistcoat and black tie for elected officer positions (WM, SW, JW, Sec, Treasurer) The Tyler who is the immediate past master also wears the same, and some of the appointed officers do as well. I have no idea sartorially, how they came up with that combo, but it is something I intend to research.

When I first contacted the lodge the letter I received inviting me to a dinner specified "Dress is Jacket and Tie." Since dress codes have relaxed at work and my church I actually did not have a suit that fit, just slacks and sport coats. My friend who belongs to another lodge advised me that a suit would be more appropriate, so I actually went out and got 2, which have served me well so far, a medium grey with a subtle stripe pattern and a dark blue. If I am asked to take a chair I will get the appropriate tuxedo.

The dress in lodge helps to set apart Freemasonry in my mind as something worthy of special respect and effort. I miss this in my church where it has gone from suits & ties, to slacks and polo shirts, to jeans and football jerseys. I know I am getting to be a crotchety old man, but I think some extra effort should go into preparing yourself for communal spiritual experiences.

CLewey44

Our lodge is coat and tie for brothers, Tailcoat, tuxedo shirt, black waistcoat and black tie for elected officer positions (WM, SW, JW, Sec, Treasurer) The Tyler who is the immediate past master also wears the same, and some of the appointed officers do as well. I have no idea sartorially, how they came up with that combo, but it is something I intend to research.

When I first contacted the lodge the letter I received inviting me to a dinner specified "Dress is Jacket and Tie." Since dress codes have relaxed at work and my church I actually did not have a suit that fit, just slacks and sport coats. My friend who belongs to another lodge advised me that a suit would be more appropriate, so I actually went out and got 2, which have served me well so far, a medium grey with a subtle stripe pattern and a dark blue. If I am asked to take a chair I will get the appropriate tuxedo.

The dress in lodge helps to set apart Freemasonry in my mind as something worthy of special respect and effort. I miss this in my church where it has gone from suits & ties, to slacks and polo shirts, to jeans and football jerseys. I know I am getting to be a crotchety old man, but I think some extra effort should go into preparing yourself for communal spiritual experiences.

You're not a crotchety old man and I 110% agree with you on all of what you said. Somehow we have became too casual for the 'everyday man' but in reality, we're not everyday men and we should look accordingly while in lodge. I don't know how many times I've been in lodge and be the only one wearing a suit, much less a tie. I didn't care though despite the 'whatchoo so dressed up fer?' remarks.

Carl_in_NH

Site Benefactor
Our lodge is coat and tie for brothers, and tuxedo with bow tie and tuxedo shirt for officers. Some brothers who are officers often don't have a tuxedo of their own when they first join the line. No matter, dignified in dark suit and tie is just fine until they can save up and arrange for a tuxedo.

We also have some traditions which might look different to another lodge. When the heat of June rolls around we have 'Hawaiian Shirt Night' on our Stated, which is very welcome in our non-air conditioned lodge room. We also typically have a family cookout for this Stated as well, so we're out in the heat and enjoying the weather as it rolls into Summer, and this apparel seems quite reasonable for the conditions if not completely in line with our normal dress. For June meetings, I've been in the lodge room when temperatures were in the mid-90's, and I wouldn't like to be wearing a tuxedo. Dark for July and August, and hopefully the weather breaks a little before we return in September in full tuxedo again.

Our other 'oddity' is our annual meeting - when we conduct both yearly lodge temple association meetings and our annual election of officers - is business suit for everyone - no tuxedos for officers.

Just some interesting traditions which we observe.

I must say I've never seen anyone attend one of our meetings in tee-shirt and jeans - but I have seen it in other lodges and even Grand Lodge on more than one occasion. That to me just doesn't show proper decorum. It could simply be that the brother in question just got out of work and the only way to make the meeting was dressed in work clothes - but if I were in the same position I'd try and plan ahead with a change of clothes in tow. The craft deserves better than tee-shirts and jeans.

Carl_in_NH

Site Benefactor
There's always planning ahead and leaving a suit or tux at the lodge in advance - ride in on your bike and change. Change back before heading home - or don't ride that day, drive a cage on lodge day. We've had several members leave a change of clothes in the candidate preparation room when the occasion arose and they knew they wouldn't be able to arrive prepared for the meeting.

There's always a way to make it happen if you so choose. Where there's a will, ...

Bloke

Premium Member
Wearing a suit or tux while riding my Harley would be interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Our last WM arrives on a motorbike in leathers - he has his tux in a suit bag on the back, again they are so durable, you can lightly roll it into your backpack and it comes our uncrinkled.... our current WM arrives on a bicycle in his tux - how that's a sight because he's also almost always got a six pack under one arm :)

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
In my lodge the officers are expected to wear tuxedos at all meetings. The master may waive this at his pleasure if the situation dictates.

The Grand Lodge of Maryland AF&AM has the following codified: "When attending the meetings of his Lodge, the Master should present a neat appearance and thus set a good example for his brethren. The proper apparel for all Masonic occasions is dark clothing and the fashion for the Master in these modem times is a dress coat and silk hat, black vest and tie."

I personally prefer tux over suit as I think the tux is more comfortable.

Carl_in_NH

Site Benefactor
I spoke with our SD the other night and asked him about suits (he has no tuxedo just yet) and riding his Japanese café bike to the lodge, which he does every chance he gets. The majority of the time, he just wears the suit with a light jacket over it to keep the wind from taking the suit jacket and tearing it up. Other times, he loosely rolls the suit components up and carries it in a backpack. It seems to survive the transport method without complaint.