My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking I picked the WRONG Lodge!? :(

Radical540

Chain of command. I'm in favor of using it. Your top line signer or assigned mentor, your WM and/or other officers.

(not sure what a "top line signer is", but my "mentor" is the WM.) As mentioned that lodge is very small, and other than myself and another recent EA, all the other members are officers-- at least the ones that come to lodge meetings.

Radical540

This truly excellent feedback! It's really putting things into perspective for me. What I'm realizing that you can't always take everything you read as gospel. Many of the books I've read convey they Craft much, much differently than the real-world experience I've had thus far. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the journey- and I think it would better serve me personally if I merely adjusted my expectations a little (or a lot).

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
1) I have found that Lodge is like any other organization. You will find those that are harder to talk to than others. It is why you shop around before handing in your petition.

- Get your degrees under your belt and travel. The easy option is to travel and visit. The extreme option is to travel, visit, petition, join another lodge and demit from your mother lodge if you feel it is not for you. It is one thing to help a lodge that needs it but it is another thing entirely if you think you need to get in line to change a lodge into something it doesn't want to be. I hope that makes sense.

2) December is a weird time of the year. Especially if your lodge switches officers after the new year and December is the last meeting for the current WM before he moves on to be the rookie Has Been. Not much is going on at the end of the year as the money is spent and the required tasks are done.

- It is dark and cold this time of year. Older brethren will not go to lodge because of body aches or just not being able to drive at night.
- The lodge does not have a lot going on and survives on dues alone. Masons need mental stimulation like any other organization. Boring lodge meetings suck.
- Sadly, some of the issues that others have with the sitting WM have come to a head. These brothers do not show up to meetings as a form of protest. If said Brother(s) has/have a large enough following it can lead to an empty lodge room. They forgot the rule about peace and harmony (btw, ignoring personal issues by not attending lodge is not how one keeps peace and harmony.)

I'd say more but it seems to be covered by everyone above.

Edited: One more point about attendance. You say the lodge has 30 members?

I am willing to bet that every officer of that lodge is a past master and has been through the line several times. That gets old fast.

I'm saying this in jest but serious at the same time. The lodge room could be empty because the brethren don't want to be nominated for an officer position.

Be careful because you might find yourself sitting as a decon or a warden the day after you're raised and turn in your proficiency!

Last edited:

Radical540

Bro Steve,
When you say "dark" are you referring to lodges going "dark", as they do in the summer?
That brings up an interesting question- If lodges "go dark" in the winter, and also in the summer (Jun-Aug ?), exactly what months of the year are (most) lodges actually "in session"?

Last edited:

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I was referencing how it is dark at night before a stated meeting versus the spring and summer when it is still light out.

Socialization is much easier in the warmer/lighter months. Lots more people come out when they can hang out before (because it is light) and after a meeting (because it is warm) Some members speak more about masonry before and after a meeting than during a meeting so when that is not available they might just stay home.

Last edited:

rfuller

Premium Member
All of these are excellent suggestions. I was in your shoes 10 years ago. Tonight I'll be giving my lodge's first lecture in at least 10 years. Change takes time. Sometimes it takes a few new faces with new perspective to get the ball rolling. My lecture tonight is actually about this exact thing, but it seems like you are on the right path.

Before you get too antsy and jump ship, I think you need to buckle down and get through those degrees. Your zeal is commendable, but don't forget why Entered Apprentices wear their aprons the way they do.

All that said, I'd like to echo a few things, and point out a few more. First, every lodge has it's own personality. Some lodges are dark this time of year and flourish in the summer. At my lodge, it's the opposite. December was our biggest turnout without a crisis to be discussed. In June, we had to make all kinds of last minute phone calls to get enough brethren to open this year's Lodge of Sorrow.

I would also give the Brethren a chance to get to know you better. And I would try to get to know THEM better as well. Some lodges have problems with people never turning in their EA proficiency and never being heard from again. Some lodges rarely have EA's and don't know how to interact with them due to fear of revealing something from the other degrees, using the wrong due guard, etc... And a degree is hard to put on in December. One of our EA's turned in proficiency in December, and we told him he's going to have to wait until February for us to have a proper degree team. Our brethren have all kinds of outside obligations this time of year. In fact, we're voting on changing our floor practice night to allow for more people on our degree team. Things change, and sometimes lodges have a hard time keeping up with that change. It's all part of the process.

Be patient. You're a Freemason for life. Being a Mason is a pursuit. Maybe it's not the lodge for you. But maybe you haven't given it a chance yet. And maybe you are their only hope for change.

Good luck, brother. Let us know how things are going as they progress.

CuAllaidh

I agree about perspective.

I'm also the new guy @ my (small) Lodge and it can be very easy to be disappointed. We read about how grand Freemasonry is and see awesome photos of beautiful Lodge rooms...it can be kind of a let down when expectations aren't met.

Exactly... the lodge I joined holds meetings in the local legion hall, its hardly a grand lodge room. I have to admit it WAS a bit of a let down, and that might be (in part) why I didn't feel as included as I felt I should be. Like I said it took a few meetings.

DJGurkins

Floresville #515
Premium Member
Our lodge meets once a month every month. We have practice every other week except around Christmas Eve and New years Eve past they fell on our practice nights so we all spent it with our family's. We have a policy that rather than not come to lodge because you are not properly attired, Show up as you are and we all welcome you as usual. We remember the lesson The internal not external makes a mason. Some times that is a hard lesson to learn because of the past when everyone always dressed up. Anyone remember going to the movies as a kid and having to put on your nice clothes.

dfreybur

Premium Member
not sure what a "top line signer is", but my "mentor" is the WM.

Think of the physical petition paper. It had at least two lines for recommenders to sign on. The first to sign usually does so on the top line. In most lodges there is a presumption that he will be your mentor. In rare cases a brother will sign on the second line and ask another brother to sign on the top line because of this tradition.

Radical540

All of these are excellent suggestions. I was in your shoes 10 years ago. Tonight I'll be giving my lodge's first lecture in at least 10 years. Change takes time. Sometimes it takes a few new faces with new perspective to get the ball rolling. My lecture tonight is actually about this exact thing, but it seems like you are on the right path.

Before you get too antsy and jump ship, I think you need to buckle down and get through those degrees. Your zeal is commendable, but don't forget why Entered Apprentices wear their aprons the way they do.

All that said, I'd like to echo a few things, and point out a few more. First, every lodge has it's own personality. Some lodges are dark this time of year and flourish in the summer. At my lodge, it's the opposite. December was our biggest turnout without a crisis to be discussed. In June, we had to make all kinds of last minute phone calls to get enough brethren to open this year's Lodge of Sorrow.

I would also give the Brethren a chance to get to know you better. And I would try to get to know THEM better as well. Some lodges have problems with people never turning in their EA proficiency and never being heard from again. Some lodges rarely have EA's and don't know how to interact with them due to fear of revealing something from the other degrees, using the wrong due guard, etc... And a degree is hard to put on in December. One of our EA's turned in proficiency in December, and we told him he's going to have to wait until February for us to have a proper degree team. Our brethren have all kinds of outside obligations this time of year. In fact, we're voting on changing our floor practice night to allow for more people on our degree team. Things change, and sometimes lodges have a hard time keeping up with that change. It's all part of the process.

Be patient. You're a Freemason for life. Being a Mason is a pursuit. Maybe it's not the lodge for you. But maybe you haven't given it a chance yet. And maybe you are their only hope for change.

Good luck, brother. Let us know how things are going as they progress.

Great response! Thanks Brother Fuller!
Here's where I think my "expectations" have perhaps gone awry.....
First....as I already mentioned, perhaps I've READ too much, and taken my reading a little to literal. I need to adjust my thought processes and expectations. Thank you all for making me aware..
Secondly, having been raised by a very religious mother, I took to the notion that attendance in masonry proceedings was of the same "you BETTER be there" mentality as going to Sunday mass and all holy days of obligation.
I know now, that it's not that stringent at all. Unfortunately for me, (whether it's a blessing or a curse I don't know) I'm the type that when I commit to something I wholeheartedly COMMIT, always punctual and I'm never sick at sea. Right now I work full time, and I'm also in school FULL-TIME too; on top of being married, I have a son & running the household. So I kinda of look at it as "if I can make it happen, why can't you?" But that is the million dollar question I'm sure. But I digress....

All in all, it's been a matter of adjusting my perspectives as well as my expectations-- which I can easily do! :)

Radical540

Think of the physical petition paper. It had at least two lines for recommenders to sign on. The first to sign usually does so on the top line. In most lodges there is a presumption that he will be your mentor. In rare cases a brother will sign on the second line and ask another brother to sign on the top line because of this tradition.

Got it! Understood. (didn't know that, since after I turned it I never saw it again)

Browncoat

Additional perspective:

There are 2 Lodges in my town. One is a Masonic Temple...it's a beautiful building inside and out. It's not a cathedral, but the Lodge itself is very large and very nice. Most of the members are local businessmen, white collar types. It's pretty much everything I had preconceived what Masonry would be. The other Lodge is in a rural area. It's a bit run down and very small, and there is wood paneling on the walls downstairs. The members are mostly blue collar guys, and membership is a lot less.

I chose the Farmer's Lodge. The Brothers there were much more personable, and I would have a better opportunity to become involved, maybe even be an officer someday. In short, I think in the grand scheme of things, I'll get more out of and be able to put more into a smaller Lodge.

Radical540

Additional perspective:

There are 2 Lodges in my town. One is a Masonic Temple...it's a beautiful building inside and out. It's not a cathedral, but the Lodge itself is very large and very nice. Most of the members are local businessmen, white collar types. It's pretty much everything I had preconceived what Masonry would be. The other Lodge is in a rural area. It's a bit run down and very small, and there is wood paneling on the walls downstairs. The members are mostly blue collar guys, and membership is a lot less.

I chose the Farmer's Lodge. The Brothers there were much more personable, and I would have a better opportunity to become involved, maybe even be an officer someday. In short, I think in the grand scheme of things, I'll get more out of and be able to put more into a smaller Lodge.

Thanks Browncoat! Now that you put that perspective out there; I respectfully feel I would prefer the opposite.

Now I'm not trying to segregate professions at all; but as they say "birds of a feather, flock together" -or- "while in Rome, do as the Romans". That being said, most of the guys at my lodge are more blue-collar types with little education beyond high school; not to say that's bad in the least, and I could careless honestly- it's just the facts. Myself, I've also worked in a white-collar profession, and in May 2014, I'll complete my Master's degree.
You're definitely on to a perspective I've yet to hear or consider....... Thanks for throwing this perspective out there...

Radical540

Greetings Brothers...
  • Back in January 2014, I started this post. Here we are now in (almost) June 2014. The situation of my lodge has taken a drastic turn. Due to lack of attendance and participation, our WM has been forced under duress to seek a "merger" with another lodge that shares our same building. (I found it interesting that I seemed to foresee this way back in January - even as a new EA with little experience whatsoever.) I must say though, I for one am happy this is transpiring; and for a few reasons. 1) The lodge we will (likely) be merging with has a much higher level of cameraderie that our current lodge; they take being a Mason VERY serious. 2) They meet every Wednesday instead of just once a month. 3) They follow the prescribed masonic dress code, 4) They have enough brother to actually perform degree work!! and lastly........5) Fortunately, (or unfortunately depending on your outlook) this merger will likely drop/lose the dead-weight" that belongs to our current lodge. I wish I didn't have to come across like that, but if you can't make it to a single meeting for a few hours once a month.....we won't miss your ultimate departure. I've heard all the "explanatory" excuses on this forum and at lodge - but the bottom line to me is that once a month isn't much. (no further explanations necessary). If you call yourself a bowler, you gotta show up to league every week, otherwise you're not much of a bowler. Or better...just because I have a bag with some golf clubs in it - yet I never use them, doesn't make me a "Golfer"! People can truly make time when they want to. (As Jon Taffer from the TV show "Bar Rescue" would say: "....I don't embrace excuses, I embrace solutions...."
  • I received my FC back in February, but unfortunately myself and other brother have been unwittingly "dormant" in our FC status because our lodge brothers don't seem to be able to make time for degree practice sessions, much less an actual degree.
  • Nonetheless......I'll post more as the inevitable merger evolves....
Cheers Brothers!

JFS61

Premium Member
Got it! Understood. (didn't know that, since after I turned it I never saw it again)

This may be a part of the problem (at least the way that it reads from your description), is that you joined a lodge without knowing any of the brethren beforehand, as one is usually friends with (or at least acquaintances) at least with your top line signer (and most, if not all, of the recommenders). If so, that would explain the somewhat cool reception by many of the brethren towards you (especially if you're just an EA), as they just haven't had the time (or opportunity) to get to know you yet.

As others have said, give it time, and if you still feel the same way after having gone through all the degrees, then would be the time to start looking for another lodge (but not until then).

Radical540

I think my "update" reply must be getting misconstrued...
My lodge is being merged because none of the existing Master Mason can manage to show up to regular meetings....
Nothing more, nothing less....

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
At the bottom of your post, to the right of the time & date of the post, click on "Edit".