My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened to the strong brotherhood ?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
GloryDays_01.JPG GloryDays_01 (2).JPG

CLewey44

It could be considered inconsiderate but then again, is it inconsiderate to just leave a guy sitting there alone? Would actual family members do that? I don't think so. He wasn't married and if he was, what kind of wreck is his wife? You could call and/or text and say "Hey, me, Bob and John are going to come over for a minute, is that ok?" Or not even walk in just come by face to face and say we're sorry for your loss and if he didn't invite us in, that's fine too. I've noticed when people have deaths in the family, people stop by where I'm from and I would think Masonic family would be ones that would stop by too.

As for the Glory Days, I don't know of the Glory Days but maybe they are ahead of us and we should be doing those sort of personal things. IDK, surprised me a bit.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Well, you don't know he was alone or what his preferences were. Perhaps those who knew him better did.

I'm from Oklahoma, but not of your generation.

I guess my point would to judge a little more softly.

CLewey44

I don't think I'm being harsh but I did expect something more maybe. Again, I'm just as guilty for not going against the grain or anything. It was a little off-putting and I guess I would say to err on the side of showing more concern than not enough in those high crisis situations but then again that's what I deal with every single day as my trade.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Oh, I didn't mean to say you judged harshly, just to judge more gently.

Those of us who have had careers dealing with crisis, may not consider this "high crisis." A tragedy, a heart break, a low point in life...but not "high crisis." After a few decades, you may find you respond differently to these events.

I'm reminded of an old fable: The carrier CAG receives a death notice for Seaman Jones' mother. He calls in the the COB and tells him to let SN Jones know, but to do it gently. The Chief tells that division to muster on deck. They do so. He tells them,
"Everyone with a mother take one step forward."
"Not so quick, Jones."

So, maybe I'm just reflecting my own life experience. The point: perhaps judge others more gently, be it whether you think they don't take Masonry seriously, or don't demonstrate the strong brotherhood you wish to see.

CLewey44

Perhaps.... but they show aspirational values if they are, but personally I've seen a lot of benevolence by Freemasons.... see below :)

If it is, it shouldn't be. The values of Freemasonry should stand outside any corruption or degeneration of society. That does not mean to become judgmental, it means to worry about how you act rather than allow others poor conduct to dictate yours.

Traveling Man, I never worry about seeing these stories nor should you. You should worry about creating them.

I've seen funerals packed out by Masons supporting family. Last time we had a working at our building, 27 guys showed up (Jan this year). Late last year in Nov I helped about 30 brothers tidy a Masons garden and house so he could sell it to move into a nursing home. I've seem a group of "average Joes" at an Installation raise $2K in a night to pay for a country brother to stay in the city when his child was sick and in hospital. I've seen dues and bills paid, hell, I've even see a brother pay for a new kitchen for an old lady in distress who had no relations and nor masonic connections. I've seen brothers housed, I've rushed to hospital when a brother was admitted so I could be with his wife while she waited for news on his injuries... etc etc etc...

All well and good. It is great to witness these things, but even better to create them. There is only one persons behaviour you can control, yours. You can influence others, but only control your own. With that in mind (as I've said before here), honour these old stories, but look for opportunities to create new ones. Those opportunities abound. We have a line here in our ritual "...... it instructed you in the active principle of universal beneficence and charity, to seek the solace of your own distress by extending relief and consolation to your fellow creatures in the hour of their affliction.... ". It is instruction I live by.

What others do is less important than what you do, and in being the best you can you provide and ashlar for others to emulate. Doing that through charity is a core to the first degree and indeed our whole system.

Spot on Bloke, spot on. You're right, as individuals we need to make it a point to make those things happen. And not for the glory or the credit but for sake of the person in need, period. That sort of positive actions and energies definitely gets paid forward and brings about nothing but good. Setting a good, positive standard should be the standard. Practicing fortitude is sometimes one of the more difficult virtues to master and sometimes it takes a lot from our busy schedules and money from our ever dwindling pockets to provide charity or brotherly love.

jermy Bell

I've seen a lot go on in my lodge,and now in other lodges we visit. They come in, take 3 obligations, don't participate in anything, but maybe show up for meetings ,we seen some of the newer ones come in and run everyone off,

Canadian Paul

All our lodges here must have an Almoner's Fund into which 10% of all Annual Dues are paid. By virtue of my Office in the lodge I know of three elderly, not well off brethren whose Annual Dues are paid by the Almoner from that fund. This is all done in strictest confidence.

A few lodges here will do a 'masonic service' for a deceased brother but mine does not. We will offer the family to provide pall-bearers and/or a Guard of Honour for the burial service at their church, which we will attend in regalia. We also will do our masonic ritual at the graveside.

My Scottish Rite Rose Croix Chapter offer the family a Memorial Service at the chapel on the funeral home of a deceased member, again, in regalia.

I have participated in all of these events and have found the gratitude of the families extremely moving. I am also impressed by the number of fellow freemasons who attend the funerals of brethren of lodges other than their own.