My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Did You Decide To Join Freemasonry?

fmasonlog

I wanted to be part of a brotherhood where religion did not segregate one another and change the world. Sadly, there is race and religion issue.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I sat in a State GL lodge last week with a black WM and Indian(india) Marshal and sat next too an Iraqi born brother, who while not a citizen of the US, still said the Pledge of Alligience to the US flag at opening!

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry mobile app

The Traveling Man

Some of the reasons I joined were Brotherly Love, Relief, Truth, Wisdom, Strength, Beauty, Making good men better, Brotherhood of Man, and Fatherhood of God. I had heard about these and over the years became more and more interested.

Keith C

What made me decide to petition?

Firstly, My Grandfather was a Freemason, Shriner and belonged to the Grotto. I always was curious as to the meaning of the plaque that hung in his office area that said "Past Monarch - Order of Veiled Prophets of the Enchanted Realm." He never really explained it to me but did say it was related to Freemasonry. I know when I was 12 or so he tried to convince my Father to get me involved with the Demolay, but that never happened. I have no idea why my Father never became a mason and he never discussed it at all. I have always thought that Freemasonry must be a good group of people, as My Grandfather was one of the best men I have ever encountered.

Fast forward many years. I was serving as an Elder of my church and another Elder always seems to have the same opinions as I do, but is much better able to gain consensus and is one of the best examples of how a man should behave in life. One elder's meeting I noticed he was wearing a tie with square and compasses designs on it. I realize that this is a masonic symbol and ask him about it. He explains that yes, he is a Freemason and extols some of the virtues of Freemasonry. I ask him what someone needs to do to join, he replied "You just did it..You have to ask."

He pointed me to the Grand Lodge Website where I could download a petition form and search for Lodges in the area (He is a member of a Lodge in Philadelphia, which due to his work arrangements is do-able, for me I needed to find a more local Lodge.) I found a local lodge, called the Secretary and arranged to attend a dinner and to get to know people.

I am so happy my curiosity got me to ask.

Elexir

My reason for joining freemasonry was an intresst in history, esoterism and religion mostly.
For me its a nice journey, especially since many of the people involved in reaserch are either clergymen or professors that actully dive into the history of freemasonry in general.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
I once thought Freemasons were harmless devil worshipers. This coming from someone whose father and both grand fathers are Freemasons. Then my maternal grandfather passed away. At his funeral there were dozens of men there. I looked at these men, who I had known my whole life, and thought "these are not evil men". So I read tons for about two months and then petitioned. I have never been so wrong about anything in my life. Our fraternity is the greatest institution built by men. My only regret is I never had the chance to attend lodge with him. When my other grandfather passed away laying his apron atop his casket was the hardest thing I've ever done. Sorry to be long winded.