My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widows Sons crossing state lines

Companion Joe

Premium Member
If one were to be cheeky one could comment that they are only important because you want the recognition and show to others that you've obtained that honor. No one makes you put them on if you don't like it.

I totally get it, and most of us probably still struggle with the same thing, but if we look at it from a Masonic perspective it's a classic sign of the Ego still talking that hasn't been overcome.

I've earned the honor, so I am qualified to wear them.

chrmc

I've earned the honor, so I am qualified to wear them.

Absolutely. Never implied that you hadn't and that they aren't fully deserved. But in your original posted you commented on how you didn't like wearing all three of them, and as I replied, no one is forcing that.
I totally get why we all like to show off the accomplishments that we have earned, but you have to agree that it is the Ego talking when that happens.

Why else are you wearing the pins when you don't to?

Keith C

If one were to be cheeky one could comment that they are only important because you want the recognition and show to others that you've obtained that honor. No one makes you put them on if you don't like it.

I totally get it, and most of us probably still struggle with the same thing, but if we look at it from a Masonic perspective it's a classic sign of the Ego still talking that hasn't been overcome.

You put it far better than I.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Absolutely. Never implied that you hadn't and that they aren't fully deserved. But in your original posted you commented on how you didn't like wearing all three of them, and as I replied, no one is forcing that.
I totally get why we all like to show off the accomplishments that we have earned, but you have to agree that it is the Ego talking when that happens.

Why else are you wearing the pins when you don't to?

Nobody forces anyone to wear anything with a S&C on it either. When one wears a Masonic ring in public is it because their ego wants the recognition of being a Freemason?

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Just travel through a state, as compared to relocating there? I can’t imagine any GL taking action. Simply because UT doesn’t allow WS, or UGLE doesn’t allow OES (for which we give thanks :)), doesn’t mean they impose that restriction on members of other jurisdictions. Many of the US GMs who visit UGLE Communication are in OES.
Glen cook, why are the OES not recognized by the UGLE and why do yall give thanks ?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using My Freemasonry mobile app

chrmc

Nobody forces anyone to wear anything with a S&C on it either. When one wears a Masonic ring in public is it because their ego wants the recognition of being a Freemason?

Yes, to a certain extent. But also because of pride. However I think the important difference is whether it is something that shows an affiliation or a distinction of honor. One shows "see what I'm a member of" and the other is more "see what I've accomplished." It's some of the same parts of the ego that drives it, but I think there are vital differences.

I do however think you're sidestepping some of my original questions ;)

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Glen cook, why are the OES not recognized by the UGLE and why do yall give thanks ?

“The Board is also aware that there exist other bodies not directly imitative of pure antient Masonry, but which by implication introduce Freemasonry, such as the Order of the Eastern Star. Membership of such bodies, attendance at their meetings, or participation in their ceremonies is incompatible with membership of this Grand Lodge.”

The Thanks comment was an apparently poor joke.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
“The Board is also aware that there exist other bodies not directly imitative of pure antient Masonry, but which by implication introduce Freemasonry, such as the Order of the Eastern Star. Membership of such bodies, attendance at their meetings, or participation in their ceremonies is incompatible with membership of this Grand Lodge.”

The Thanks comment was an apparently poor joke.
I figured you were joking but at the same time I could understand why one would only want to be a apart of just masonry

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Yes, to a certain extent. But also because of pride. However I think the important difference is whether it is something that shows an affiliation or a distinction of honor. One shows "see what I'm a member of" and the other is more "see what I've accomplished." It's some of the same parts of the ego that drives it, but I think there are vital differences.

I do however think you're sidestepping some of my original questions ;)

I'm not intentionally sidestepping anything. If it's about wearing multiple pins, to me it's a style issue. I wear nice suits to Masonic functions. Putting a bunch of pins all over the lapel of a suit is tacky. I don't wear running shoes or caps when I wear a suit either.

KYCH and RCC pins show affiliation. The KYCH priory and the RCC conclave are separate bodies to which members belong. You can't apply for membership. You have to earn it. Perhaps the real issue is not ego but envy.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I would ask you, what is the purpose of wearing all of these pins in a Blue Lodge Meeting?

The same pattern as a Scout wearing a sash of merit badges or a military member wearing a placard of medals. They are conversation starters. They are a record of earned achievement. They show an one-going pattern of being active in the order. They are a walking resume.

They also require education by the person viewing them. If you don't know the difference between a Silver Star and a Good Conduct, who's issue is it that you think the medals on the Master Chief PO's placard make him a "pin collector"? Or Eagle versus a single-hobby merit badge. Or a Golden Trowel pin versus a pin that commemorates visiting a lodge.

Given the educational requirement aspect they can also range from an inside joke through an old boys club. Sort of like the childrens' game duck-duck-goose, the two types of bird sure look a lot alike and it makes for a fun game.