My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Sad Sight

owls84

Premium Member
My question is, Should this not be a job for the Masonic Service Bureau? I mean everyone I go to it is nothing more than an opportunity for people to get up and say all their titles and such. Should these meetings be better served by taking Lodges in their district and helping clean them up?

I have asked this question around and have received answers like "It costs too much money and the MSB just don't have any." Well what if they did fund raisers like a Lodge does. Just sad that we have the resources but just don't use them to their fullest.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Bro. Chris Hodapp wrote this article some time ago. I think all lodges should seriously consider these points:

Ideas For Worshipful Masters by:
Chris Hodapp, PM, Broad Ripple Lodge #643
Originally published in 2002,

"So here are some of the things we have done over the last few years at Broad Ripple Lodge, some of which were started by PGM Roger Van Gorden, our Master in 2000. Bear in mind that most of these suggestions are not original."

"Let me reiterate: our PMs and general membership have left us alone to have our way with the place, and the PMs and older members who regularly participate have been totally supportive of us. We have NOT had to deal with sideline insurrections over ANYTHING we have tried. I have heard horror stories from other Masters, and I am releived to say I have none."

1. ALL Stated Meetings were Table Lodges for a year.

2. Redecorated Lobby and entry area. (Ratty furniture, no art, and accessories from when Truman was president make a terrible first impression on potential new members. If you think it's ugly, how will a new member see it? If you don't know, ASK YOUR WIFE!)

3. Landscaped front yard. (Ours was full of rocks and overgrown shrubs.). If your building looks tired, unkempt and decayed, what does that say about Freemasonry to a potential new member? What does it say about your own pride of membership?

4. Professionalized look of website and kept it up to date. If a potential member sees that your site is dated 1997 and none of the hyperlinks work, they'll move on.

5. Monthly Trestle Board with photos. Make Lodge look fun, and if they don't come, they're missing great experiences.

6. Stopped charging for meals, including Thanksgiving. Catered or convenience food rather than the same few brothers chained to the kitchen. They will burn out.

7. Added stereo system and big screen TV to dining room. (Football and basketball nights next year after Craft practice. Make Lodge a place to hang around in, not eat, meet and flee)

8. Purchased motorized stairclimbers to assist our older members (we have lots of steps)

9. Started Masonic Angel Fund for local kids (see our website for details)

10. Made $100 donation to Masonic Home Foundation for every month a member (or members) died.

11. Poinsettias hand delivered to Lodge Widows at Christmastime by Master. They'll love you forever. Get them on your side and their grandson may join.

12. Started Annual Chili Cook-Off with permanent trophy at Lodge. The noisier the rivalry gets, the better. Encourage outlandish claims and bragging rights...

13. Presented Lifetime Achievement Award to older member 64 years a Mason who comes to every meeting and degree. These men built our Lodges. Acknowledge their achievements publicly.

14. Insisted on post-meeting gathering at local tavern for members, spouses, friends. Do NOT hang out in the parking lot of the Lodge *****ing after meetings. That's not how to forge new friendships.

15. Regular dialogue with OES Matron. Kept them involved in our public events.

16. Sought out degree help from other Lodges. Liberal use of honorary memberships for regular visiting helpers.

17. If you are a young Master who does not know all ritual for all degrees, learn ONE of them well, and have your Wardens do the same for the other two. Performing a smaller number of parts well is more important than stumbling through many of them badly. Do NOT get pressured into doing more than you are able by the "In MY year you had to know all of these degrees" crowd. If they know it all, ask THEM to take a part. Remember: a man gets to hear each of his degrees for the first time ONLY ONCE. If you can't do it properly with feeling and meaning, GET SOMEONE WHO CAN.

18. Joint Lodge picnic with other Lodges

19. Let a Lodge from a Temple that goes dark in summer hold Craft practice at our place. Joined in with them.

20. Dramatically expanded library. Write book reviews of new ones and promote it in your Trestle Board.

21. Started book exchange open to everyone in Lodge family. Bookshelf in the dining room.

22. Officers chairs left empty for two years rather than push new members into them immediately.

23. Make sure Lodge name is seen out in the community. Business cards, pins, jackets with S&C and Lodge name, who to contact for info on door of Lodge along with web address. If the building is closed, how will a new man find someone to ask?

24. Extend invitations to Prince Hall Lodges for visits. Current leadership within Prince Hall Masonry in Indiana requires that the PHA Lodge get permission to visit from their Grand master, so check with the Master of the PHA Lodge you contact for their latest rulings on this matter. (NOTE: In 2004, we assisted a group of PHA lodges with their annual Thanksgiving Dinner for the poor, and in 2005, we made Indiana Masonic history by conferring the Master Mason degree on two Prince Hall candidates.

25. Always keep petitions in your car. Let me say that again: Always keep petitions in your car.

26. If 200 members stay away, get new ones who won't! If only seven show up, have fun with each other.

27. Made up a new member's notebook, containing:

- Introduction to Lodge etiquette
- Lodge history
- List of Masonic websites, research, recommended book list
- Lodge directory of all members, their addresses and phone numbers.
- Introduction to Freemasonry for a Mason's lady
- List of all Lodge widows
- List of all Lodge Committees
- List of area lodges to visit
- Lodge By-Laws.
- Brochures from the York Rite, Scottish Rite & Shrine - not petitions from them (discourage joining them for 1 year).
- Our Lodge Masonic Angel Fund brochure
- The latest Lodge Trestle Board (newsletter)
- Three petitions and Grand Lodge Masonic brochures and DVD
- Masonic License Plate form

28. Freemasonry IS NOT RITUAL. If you can do all parts flawlessly, yet never have candidates and no one comes to meetings, how will the ritual save your Lodge?

29. Plan with your Wardens so there is continuity for years to come - stop reinventing the wheel every year. Do NOT hide good ideas from your Master so you can claim victory during your year. Do NOT pass on problems to the next Master. Solve them now!

JBD

Premium Member
I have visited lodges both urban and rural in Texas. I have visited same in AR and AL.
I am reading through this and seeing the GL taking a good finger pointing from many of the posters. Enough already.

This situation was not caused by GL; it was not caused by one or another body or lodge or Grand anything. It was caused by Masons. Tom made a good point - he said he was going to scour the GL Laws - that is what needs to be done - but only as a starting point.

All of us have something to provide our Lodges, other Lodges, the GL and Masonry in general. WE just have to do it, quit talking, quit bellyaching and DO IT.

Ask Tom and Rhit and a few others here what can happen when you just say - its our job, we are taking it on - they are shining examples of what can go right. The Bible speaks of "teaching for doctrine the commandments of men", in the corporate world, I have seen in my years, numerous companies stagnated with "that's against ______(policy, the law, the directive, the bosses wishes)" when none of that was true. It was simply people teaching their commandments, either benignly or not, to preserve that which they understood. I think the same is true in our Fraternity.

There are plenty of older Masons (both in terms of years and years in Masonry) who do not fit the mold you are talking about. You need to search them out for advice and let them guide you past the mine fields and deal with their contemporaries for you. If your lodge needs a website, build it, don't publish without the WM approval and make sure it is in the guidelines for GL. If the plants need trimming, trim them, if the building needs painting bring it up in Lodge and be the first to volunteer and the one to coordinate it.

There are Lodges out there in rural areas that survive because they are relevant to the community. There are a good many of them. You do not have to put on the fish fry/BBQ cookoff, chili cookoff or what not to participate in it as a Lodge.You also have to remember what sells in Plano, Ft Worth, Alamo Heights, or Galena Park may not sell in Iraan, Lipan, Kerens or Shamrock - each Lodge needs to develop their own plan. Each needs to develop their own place in their community.

I also agree that we MUST be wearing our S&C or other emblems as much as possible - it doesn't hurt and it does help - real conversation starter. Just remember if you are wearing them, have them on your car or home or head - you have taken on the responsbility of all us to exhibit true Masonic images in our words, deeds and driving habits.

If you are approached with the "my Dad/Uncle/Grandfather was Mason" thing, the correct answer it NOT - "Oh, really, thats neat/cool or whatever other answer my come to mind. The CORRECT answer is a question. The CORRECT answer is "well then why aren't you?" You did not ask them to be a Mason - no violation of tradition or GL law, but you do now have a opporunity to follow up their response of "I dunno, just never got around to it" or "I dunno" with "Here (as you reach in your stash to grab a petition), let me help you fix that. Or some such exchange.

Bottom line? Quit complaining, quit saying the old guys/GL law or something else is stopping you. What is stopping you is you.

OK, anyone know where I can find the /rantoff button?

owls84

Premium Member
Here is my take though Brother, I have made efforts to put in place a committee that looks to take after Lodges like this. But how can I look after Lodges Like this when my lodge has problems of their own? We have services in place where things like this could be corrected but we have gone so far from the meaning of groups or committees everyone forgot the purpose of being there.

When you hear me say something about GL it isn't because it is their fault for the issue but if you take a step back and see that there are lots of lodges in this same shape should you know say "if it is one or two I understand but this is probably 50+ lodges out there." Does our laws not say that it is for the DDGM to report the condition of the Lodge to the GM during his visitation report? Why do you think our Brothers put this in there?

As far as the "old" guys taking the blame I don't agree with that but you also have to understand that several of the "younger" members myself included have witnessed the "old" guys hit the East and grab a rocker. They are no longer active and have the additude "I have paid my dues." What I am seeing though throughout Masonry in Texas is a renewed spark and Masons ARE taking more of an active roll. All I am saying is why do we continue to spin our wheels with ineffective programs and organizations that don't do what they were intended to do. You can not tell me that if you looked at Masonry in Texas as a business and you the owner that you would be happy with your employees.

Now that being said, since we do not have effective organizations and things of that nature it is OUR responsability as Masons to help lodges like this out and I agree just sitting and complaining won't help but neither will going to meetings and introducing myself as an officer of a lodge that doesn't do anything but pay bills. It should be a huge Honor to call yourself a Mason and even more to call yourself a Pastmaster and I ask everyone, "do you feel it is right now, if not we need to figure out where we can fit to change it and make it so again. Because I can't change GL that has to come from the "old" guys."

JBD

Premium Member
I cannot disagree with much that you say Brother, the point I am making is that before we remove the mote from our brother's eye, we remove the beam from ours.
One lodge at a time if we have to is how we change things. Younger guys, younger Masonically and chronologically. Look what happened in 148 in just a few years. Look at Panther City and how it has evolved - then look at the aging lodges. It isn't the GL that is choking them off, it is the members who all took up rocking.

What has happened is that ritualists have taken control and they are more interested in the past than the future. I think the GM that is in place now is more adminsitrator and builder and marketer than ritualist - and it shows, he lets the ritualists insure the GL stays true to the Masoni roots, but he provided a spark that is sorely needed. The question in my mind is will those that follow move to growth, be a visionary or let the ritual be the driving force?

We have a Committee on Work whose specific charge is to preserve the work. It is but one of the many jobs of the GM. Just like any corporation, the organization tends to look like the CEO - it is true here as well.

Wingnut

Premium Member
I hate to say it but sometimes lodges need to fail. If the demographics of the community doesnt show any growth or a decent size population to draw members from, it might be better if the lodge merged with another. Concentrate the resources.

That said, I hate to see any lodge fail and wish we could help. I would suggest that the first group to help would be the lodge itself. They have to want help and be willing to help themselves. Secondly the DDGM and MWSA. They are the closest to the issue and may have the combined resources to help. Not to mention as several of us well know, a good source for Masons that have the fire to help them out, become plural members, help with breathing new life into the lodge.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
As many of you know, I'm a huge proponent of having my fellow Brothers visit other lodges, especially rural ones. Tonight I decided to travel to Prairie Lea Masonic Lodge #114 in Fentress, TX.

114_pic.jpg

As you can see, the building is very old and the Lodge only has 28 members total. I hopped in the truck and headed that way, but was sad to see that there were only 4 people there. As I sat in the old wooden chair, they began to describe the condition the Lodge is in, not physically, but membership. There was an elderly gentleman that came up to me with a warm grin, and said "My father was raised in this Lodge many years ago". It's such a shame. I've stated numerous times that Freemasonry is going to bottom out soon if action is not taken. These HISTORIC rual Lodges are dying off. When you see a Lodge that has been around for 130+ on the brink of extinction it brings a profound sense of urgency to our Brotherhood. As I sat in that old building, I looked around at the walls, ceiling, chairs, tables and wondered how many nervous EA's, Worshipful Masters, and rituals they have seen. I'm just frustrated at the complacency and business as usual in Texas Freemasonry. The next generation needs to break loose and bring DRASTIC change, not to the rituals or work but on the outside. We are here because we love the craft, but HOW do we make it so others want to join? What are we, as Texas Masons, doing wrong? What would you suggest to the powers that be to change things? Let the discussion begin...

Chalk Mountian Lodge rose from the ashes there is nothing to say this one cannot do the same. I bet if you told a member their to find some REALLY AWESOME Texas history from Prairie Lea Masonic Lodge #114 you could post it Brother Blake and maybe induce a few Brothers to join. You would be surprised what an affilation can do for a lodge.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I hate to say it but sometimes lodges need to fail. If the demographics of the community doesnt show any growth or a decent size population to draw members from, it might be better if the lodge merged with another. Concentrate the resources.

Sad to say, but I agree 100%

Luke

If people want to know about masonry all they have to do is spend some time on google. Yes I said it. Weather you find the good or the wrong you will find something. This raises questions that can not be confirmed or denied with out the aide of a Freemason. If we would get up off our expletive 's and do something to show everyone else where our lodges are they can get that aide. My brother and I are the only Freemasons in my family (even if he is in a fake lodge). I went to a lodge with out being held by the hand, and not knowing anyone, because I wanted to.

Do we want instant satisfaction just like the rest of the country? Well too bad! Everything good takes time and effort. I agree with a very low percentage of replies to this thread but the ones I do agree with I really agree with.

Wingnuts posted poem by an unknown author is an excellent example. He also said that sometimes lodges need to fail. I agree because if a lodge fails near me it would motivate me to do anything and everything I could to keep mine going. Not that I wouldn't help another lodge.
cemab4y reposted a list of things each lodge could do. Very helpful. I've printed it and plan to bring it to my next meeting.
JBD stood up for the GL and put the problem back on the individual lodge where it belongs.
Nate C, third page, fifth post down.
Bill_Lins77488, page two, second post
Joey agreeing right after above
TCShelton page two ninth post.
rhitland Gave an awesome suggestion page five eighth post

There are others but now I'm tired and must get some sleep.
The point is don't complain about what someone else could do differently, do what you can do differently and lead by example.

Goodnight brothers.

JBD

Premium Member
Brother Luke -
I appreciate your EA zeal, but lets wait the time with patience just a little until you have additional light, some experience in the Craft, and learn to temper your language use. There are things that can be changed, things that should be changed and things that may appear to be illogical but with further understanding you will understand.

Fortunately most of the brothers on here are not the old guard. They are the new guard, the new face. They possess technological savy, an understanding the generational differences as want to move the craft forward from where it is in a coordinated, deliberate fashion and not with a shotgun approach. You have been a Mason about 6 weeks. Lets wait until you have been a Master Mason six months - in the mean time absorb all the Masonic knowledge you can and understand your journey has only just begun

Robert Marshall

Secretary, Waco 92
Premium Member
Brother Luke -
I appreciate your EA zeal, but lets wait the time with patience just a little until you have additional light, some experience in the Craft, and learn to temper your language use. There are things that can be changed, things that should be changed and things that may appear to be illogical but with further understanding you will understand.

Fortunately most of the brothers on here are not the old guard. They are the new guard, the new face. They possess technological savy, an understanding the generational differences as want to move the craft forward from where it is in a coordinated, deliberate fashion and not with a shotgun approach. You have been a Mason about 6 weeks. Lets wait until you have been a Master Mason six months - in the mean time absorb all the Masonic knowledge you can and understand your journey has only just begun

Agreed, agreed.

Brother Luke, I agree with all of the same people you posted, but the confrontational approach is unneeded. We're all brethren here and it is best to avoid contention. JBD worded it very well and I think you'd be very happy in the long run if you'd absorb it.

LRG

Premium Member
I cannot disagree with much that you say Brother, the point I am making is that before we remove the mote from our brother's eye, we remove the beam from ours.
One lodge at a time if we have to is how we change things. Younger guys, younger Masonically and chronologically. Look what happened in 148 in just a few years. Look at Panther City and how it has evolved - then look at the aging lodges. It isn't the GL that is choking them off, it is the members who all took up rocking.

What has happened is that ritualists have taken control and they are more interested in the past than the future. I think the GM that is in place now is more adminsitrator and builder and marketer than ritualist - and it shows, he lets the ritualists insure the GL stays true to the Masoni roots, but he provided a spark that is sorely needed. The question in my mind is will those that follow move to growth, be a visionary or let the ritual be the driving force?

We have a Committee on Work whose specific charge is to preserve the work. It is but one of the many jobs of the GM. Just like any corporation, the organization tends to look like the CEO - it is true here as well.

Great work brother

Luke

All I was saying, whether I am a young mason or not, is that we don't need to knock on doors or put letters on cars. My intention was not to be taken as confrontational. I was just stating my opinion "lead by example".

Robert Marshall

Secretary, Waco 92
Premium Member
All I was saying, whether I am a young mason or not, is that we don't need to knock on doors or put letters on cars. My intention was not to be taken as confrontational. I was just stating my opinion "lead by example".

Now, this, I whole-heartedly agree with.