Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Sports and Outdoors' started by SC Heston, Apr 27, 2011.

1. SC Heston

SC Heston Premium Member

Excellent idea!

Thanks!

2. kriskirkland

kriskirkland Registered User

K5KRK
    General
    HF/Digital (PSK31/APRS)
    First Ticket 2008

3. mitchat

mitchat Registered User

KECDJ, Amateur Extra Class
    also Commercial GROL with Ship Radar Endorsement, PG00028247

Not very active, mainly use VHF repeaters in DFW area

S&F
    Mitch

4. mitchat

mitchat Registered User

Ooops! Brothers, that call is KE5CDJ

5. Rescue51

Rescue51 Premium Member

How does someone get into this? My Dad talked about doing this when I was a kid, but never did. It sounds interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Freemasonry

6. mitchat

mitchat Registered User

Rescue51,

An earlier post in this thread by Ol' Kev has some good links about getting started in amateur radio.

Mitch

7. Rescue51

Rescue51 Premium Member

Thank you. It sounds really interesting. I'm going to look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Freemasonry

8. cemab4y

cemab4y Premium Member

First licensed as WA4YRA in 1976. (The YOUNG RADIO AMATEUR). BiCentennial call sign AA4YRA. All American four Young Radio Amateur. Received German radio license DA1NR (Dirty American one Nasty Radio). Then PA9BBN, F0IHZ, WA4YRA/LX, WA4YRA/OE7. I was the first person to go from Novice to Extra class, all outside the USA.

Received US Call sign AB4Y, in 1978. Operated 80-10m SSB/CW/RTTY. 2m FM 450MHZFM. Also 2mSSB. Operated OSCAR from Bowling Green KY, Mode B 450MHZ uplink to satellite, 2mSSB downlink. Operated Mode J, 2mSSB uplink, 432MHZ ssb downlink.

Transferred to Africa in 1983. F/AB4Y in France, and AB4Y/ZS in South Africa. Operated HZ1AB in Saudi Arabia 1991.

Been working in Iraq and Afghanistan for the past nine(9) years. NO QRV in YA/YI.

73, de Charles E. Martin AB4Y

9. Benjamin Baxter

Benjamin Baxter Moderator Staff Member

w0bax
    I got my tech in 2010 and in 2011 was when I got my general I think. I would have to look for the months. :screwy:
    Usually 2m or 70cm
    Some 10m and 20m if I get my antenna back up. Storms in Granbury took them down when the tornadoes came through.

Freemason Connect Mobile

10. otherstar

otherstar Registered User

First licensed as a Novice in 1989 as KB0FFL. Upgraded to Advanced with the same call in 1994. Upgraded to Extra in either 1999, 2000 (whenever the code speed was reduced from 20 WPM to 13 WPM). My station is currently off the air (until I get outside and re-hang on half of a dipole). I spend almost all of my on air time working SSB casually either rag chewing or chasing DX. My favorite bands are 10 (when it's up), 17, and 20 meters. (I favor 17 meters over the others by far)

73 de AC5XL

11. Txmason

Txmason Registered User

How can I get started in ham radio?

"Without exertion there can be no progress." Bear Grylls

12. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Go to arrl.org and look for classes in your area. There are lots of people out there ready to indoctrinate a newbie.

13. Sammcd

Sammcd Premium Member

W5IAM

Got my Extra in July 2012. Spend most my time on 20 meter, and 10 meter when propagation gods are cooperating.

When traveling I use a Icom 2 meter HT and a 2 meter mobile. My base is a Yaesu 950 FT hooked to G5RVjr.

Photo of shack

ImageUploadedByMy Freemasonry1384917972.833834.jpg

My Freemasonry

RayverInColorado likes this.
  14. cemab4y

cemab4y Premium Member

Good advice. Check out our national organization www.arrl.org also contact your local radio club. The club can advise you about how to study for the license exam, and how to get equipment.

It was one of my ham radio friends the late Don Tuggle N4AOC, who first introduced me to Freemasonry.

15. Jonesy

Jonesy Registered User

G1YWY, First licenced in 1987, Favourite mode CW, been QRT for a number of years and looking to get back into the hobby.

16. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

So, I know nothing about Am Radio. I've always been curious. it's sort of like falconry, sounds really, really cool but don't know how to go about it or even what it is....

17. RayverInColorado

RayverInColorado Registered User

KA0RAY
    General
    All bands/modes but mainly on 2m/70cm

Sent from my iPad using My Freemasonry

Bloke likes this.
  18. Odur

Odur Registered User

SM6ZCU
    Mostly on 2m. I would like to have space for HF antennas, but that will have to wait.

19. Carl_in_NH

Carl_in_NH Site Benefactor

W A 1 R A J
    Extra. Licensed since 1972 - same call, but started out life as a WN1 at age 11.
    10 GHz and down, with a (sometimes) focus on weak signal VHF and up.
    Prefer building gear to operating.
    Not very active at the moment - currently too much work and lodge activities to spend much radio time.

Share My Freemasonry