My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

another Fundraiser thread (complaint)

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Disclaimer: Our dues are structured in such a manner that the dues alone keeps the lights turned on. Anything above and beyond that number has to be generated. We have 200 +/- members to float the cost of the building and that is it.

We have a core group of Brothers who always participate in fundraisers. They are like the who's who of events.

These men will be there if there is an event. Myself included.

The more I participate, the more jaded I become. I see the SW stand up towards the end of a business meeting to announce the next event and I let out an audible 'sigh.'

It is the equivalent of a smokers tax on certain brethren in the lodge.

My dues this year are 110ish a year.
I pay another 200 ~ 250 a year attending various events.

Now factor in the 20 brothers and that is a gross of 4000 a year. Figure roughly 1000 goes out the window for costs of supplies etc.

Now spread that out over 200 brethren and it works out to be 15 dollars more in dues per year per member.

Would you pay that increase to get out from under the constant mill of fundraising?

I want to talk to the next WM to suggest Dues = operating cost + 15 dollars that has to be allocated into various funds as prescribed by a new lodge by-law.

Edited: I just remembered the raffle that goes on during the events.

I think I payed the equivalent of my dues at one of the events this year.

Last edited:

jjjjjggggg

Premium Member
I gotta admit I'm not a big fan of fundraisers simply because I don't like being constantly barraged by anyone to donate money, masonic or not.

I'm also big on fiscal responsibility... I don't mind paying more in dues as long as I know the money is being used for good purposes.

I love that there are lodges everywhere in my state, and I love to travel, but i wonder what the future holds as less men are petitioning especially in small rural communities. I'd hate to see masonry confined to urban areas only. It makes me wonder if the TOL model will eventually become the standard, at least in the US.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I gotta admit I'm not a big fan of fundraisers simply because I don't like being constantly barraged by anyone to donate money, masonic or not.

I'm also big on fiscal responsibility... I don't mind paying more in dues as long as I know the money is being used for good purposes.

I love that there are lodges everywhere in my state, and I love to travel, but i wonder what the future holds as less men are petitioning especially in small rural communities. I'd hate to see masonry confined to urban areas only. It makes me wonder if the TOL model will eventually become the standard, at least in the US.
The petition issue is not a problem for us per say and I realize any comparison against the grain is anecdotal. Our lodge in New Jersey has about 20 men that are spread between balloting, initiation, passing and raising. We are lucky in that regard.

Don't get me wrong. Hanging out with other Brothers on a nice summer night enjoying refreshments in the alley (we are in a downtown setting) is fun. Getting to that point though is full of moans and groans.

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
Some fundraising has a purpose, some does not. In my (minority) opinion, fundraising should be reserved for outside causes. As in, "The Masons are here at (insert function) to help raise money for (insert worthy cause)".

I do not think Masons should be soliciting outside money to repair our buildings or pay our utilities. Likewise, I do not think dues should be used to support outside causes.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I'm not trying to steer the topic as I see fit, but our lodge was in disrepair so anything and everything we did was for our building. I think we had some left over money for some scholarships and the like but everything has been going towards our building fund.

such a pita when our dues are supposed to be based on that cost.

Last edited:

Morris

Premium Member
Currently your dues are $9.17 a month and raising it would equal $10.42 a month. Without a doubt I would pay that to ensure the building and fellowship continues.

If my lodge set up a pay system to where I could put in my credit card info (kind of like a subscription) I would go up even higher.

Years go by and costs go up. My time is worth a lot more to me.

Bro. Staton

Sad to say but many lodges across the board faces two problem 1st many don't want to take part in fundraiser due to many reason (lack of support, lack of good results from the fundraiser etc) and 2nd many see the fundraiser going totally towards getting the lodge back up to standards. Often times they look at raising dues to offset this problem however if not watched it can actually create another problem loss of members and create more negative vibes. However, everyone must do their part in whatever is the best for the lodge and the growth of Masonry as a whole.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Make it twenty bucks and let's replace that ratty carpet. :)
We spent 15k more or less repairing the lodge room last year.

Paint, Carpet, Fire Rated Doors, Electrical, etc.

Our building is old and needs even more work. I would almost consider it to be better to have sold and moved to a better building than repair the one we're in now. The only upside to staying is that the building was purpose built to be a masonic temple.

The brickwork outside has two pillars 'on' the porch as you walk in.

dmurawsky

Premium Member
I can relate a bit to the OP. I'm very new to my lodge (FC, 3 months) but have already been bombarded with several fundraising requests. I've committed to two, one with physical labor, and one monetarily, and have been happy to do so. However, we were scheduled to have a Masquerade Ball for halloween, and there wasn't enough interest to get it off the ground. Afterwards, the WM sent out what I can only describe as a guilt-gram. In it, he made it sound as if it was our duty to go to this event, regardless of desire, because it was designed to support the lodge. Now, please correct me if I am wrong, but aren't events supposed to make people want to go to them? And then to try and guilt-trip the brothers about it afterwards? This is not conducive to making people want to attend anything.
I do plan on speaking with the WM about this, but thought it was relevant to the discussion at hand.

dmurawsky

Premium Member
We spent 15k more or less repairing the lodge room last year.

Paint, Carpet, Fire Rated Doors, Electrical, etc.

Our building is old and needs even more work. I would almost consider it to be better to have sold and moved to a better building than repair the one we're in now. The only upside to staying is that the building was purpose built to be a masonic temple.

The brickwork outside has two pillars 'on' the porch as you walk in.
I can definitely understand the desire to retain the history of the place and repair it. "They don't make them like they used to" is as true in building construction as anything else. Was a formal work plan developed to prioritize and sequence the repair work? For example, if an inspection is done, and the foundation is cracked, all the rest is irrelevant.

cemab4y

Premium Member
When in comes to fund-raisers, I have seen it all before. Sometimes in masonic groups, and sometimes in other non-profit organizations. Some people squawk at dues increases, but will not participate in fund-raisers. They expect their lodge to provide a "free ride".

I admit that it is easy to write a check. It is not easy to donate "sweat equity".

We should also keep in mind, that there are "non-cash" benefits to fund raisers. They get Masonry out into the "public eye", and sometimes they generate interest in the fraternity, and the result is new petitioners.