My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Avoiding faux pas

Canadian Paul

At a recent degree in my (Scottish) lodge a senior brother present noted that the only advice his father (also a Freemason) had given him before his Initiation was 'Make sure you've washed your feet!"

Also a rule to live by!

John Musselwhite

Premium Member
I haven’t known underwear to ever be relevant to any ritual.. well Masonic ritual anyway.

I wondered myself when told I should wear clean underwear and not anything with hearts, happy faces or other comical things on them. At my raising, when I passed the West, the tie on my pants came loose and I found myself with my pants around my ankles! The occasion may have been solemn, but it got a good laugh from the brethren!

Number4

When I was raised my dues card arrived from GL and they had my name bass ackwards! As they were also preparing a proficiency certificate for my MM catechism I picked up the phone and call GL to advise them of the mistake....

Big Mistake. Grand Lodge of VA is like the Kremlin and the least contact you have with them the safer you be: at the next stated I was summoned the the east, presented with my new, amended dues card "and in the most friendly manner, admonished of my error"...............

TheThumbPuppy

Oh my! But what should you have done to get the error corrected? I take for granted that you were polite when you called them. Did they tell you what the right protocol should have been? Should you have gone through the Secretary of your Lodge?

Keith C

Oh my! But what should you have done to get the error corrected? I take for granted that you were polite when you called them. Did they tell you what the right protocol should have been? Should you have gone through the Secretary of your Lodge?

You should DEFINITELY go through the Secretary of your Lodge!

Keith C

In PA the Candidates change from the clothing they are wearing into specific clothing used for the ritual. This takes place in a room within the outer door but with its own door to the Lodge Room called, of all things, "The preparing room!" This takes place in the presence of a guide appointed by the WM. If more than one Degree is taking place in an evening the candidate done with the first part of the ritual will be changing back into his clothes while the 2nd candidate is getting ready. So, yeah, wear clean underwear, avoid a "man thong" and don't go commando!