My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue Lodge Dues

JJones

I think the point is that fundraisers generally consist of a small amount of brethren doing a lot of work just to turn around and donate the money back to the community or give to charity.

I also agree that the state of our building shouldn't be a financial burden on the community. If something needs fixed, the lodge should pay for it (or brethren should make appropriate donations). If the lodge can't afford it then it's the responsibility of the lodge members to donate what they can or be willing to pay higher dues.

Our lodge raises money by selling barbecue twice a year. We usually have about twenty briskets that are donated by a minority of lodge members and it's usually the same members each year who are cooking, chopping, and selling it when the time comes. Why should ten out of eighty members shoulder all the burden? By the time brethren donate the brisket and take time off from work to cook, chop, and sell we could have just raised dues.

Last edited:

Ashlar

Exactly , on all counts .

My apologies if I offended anyone , but I did not become a Mason to work fundraisers to pay for the running and making repairs to the lodge . This is why we pay dues .

jwhoff

Premium Member
I took brother Martin's post is a somewhat different light.

Though it is a shame that fundraisers, for a lack of a better term, have to be done to pay such costs as new AC units, carpet, et al, it should be noted that the same few members of the lodge always end up carrying the burden. Whether that number be 15 or 80 of 200 plus members. Higher dues would go more toward such projects.

I am going into the East at one of my lodges in July. I fully expect that I will, at some point, be required to ask the brethren for extra monies to cover out of the ordinary expenses. It is a sign of the times.

anthonywilson

Exactly , on all counts .

My apologies if I offended anyone , but I did not become a Mason to work fundraisers to pay for the running and making repairs to the lodge . This is why we pay dues .

Say it brother!!!!!! Our dues might being going up $50 ($100 to $150) this coming year and my view is "ok, don't know why because our outgoing WM came in under budget." However, if they do, then the fundraisers need to stop. There are brothers who can't pay their dues and are only $1-$2 in the kitty at dinner time; but we're passing the hat for donations so an event can be funded. -_-