My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cam Newton Wins Heisman

Bro.BruceBenjamin

Premium Member
attachment.php

When he heard his name called, it took Cam Newton only three enormous strides to make up the distance between he and Alan Casey, the 13-year-old with Burkitt’s lymphoma who was announcing Newton at the post-Heisman press conference as part of the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

“You remember?†Newton asked, smiling, before he and Casey launched into an ornate, multi-part fist pound behind the podium.

Same as he ever was. But now he’s got a bulky trophy to lug back to Auburn.

Newton became the third Auburn player to win the Heisman Trophy on Saturday night at the Best Buy Theater just off Times Square, following in the footsteps of Pat Sullivan (1971) and Bo Jackson (1985), who was at the Heisman ceremony for the first time since he won the award.

“This whole thing right now is just beyond me,†Newton said. “I feel like I’m in a dream, and I haven’t just woke up yet. It hasn’t even came onto me just what I have accomplished.â€

Newton received 729 first-place votes and 2,263 points, the fifth-highest number of first-place votes and sixth-highest point total in 76 years of the Heisman, counting USC running back Reggie Bush’s vacated totals from 2005.

That sort of thing happens when you set nine single-season records at your school and account for 49 touchdowns and 4,040 yards from scrimmage on the No. 1 team in the nation.

“There is no question that Cameron is highly deserving of the most prestigious honor in college football, and I am so proud of him,†coach Gene Chizik said. “Not only has Cam been the best player in college football this year, he has also been an incredible leader for our football team. Winning the Heisman Trophy is also a tremendous honor for our entire football team, our coaches and our support staff.

“This is a special day for Cam and for Auburn University, and I feel blessed to be a small part of it.â€

Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck finished second (1,079 points) in the voting, Oregon running back LaMichael James finished third (916 points) and Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore finished fourth (635 points).

Newton’s 1,184-point margin over Luck is the 11th-highest in Heisman history.

He received a first-place vote on 78.7 percent of possible ballots, the third-best ratio all-time.

If the 105 voters who left Newton off their ballots are discounted, Newton took the top spot on 93 percent of the tabulated ballots.

“I know the entire Auburn family joins me in congratulating Cam for winning the most prestigious award in college football,†Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs said. †We could not be more proud of Cam and the way that he has represented Auburn University. This award is also a tremendous tribute.

“This is a great day in the history of Auburn football that we will all cherish for years to come.â€

It’s a day that Newton’s father, Cecil, couldn’t cherish in person.

Newton, who had his access to the program “limited†by an NCAA ruling after it was found he took part in pay-for-play discussions during his son’s recruitment last year, decided not to attend the ceremony “as it will perhaps rob Cam and the event of a sacred moment.â€

“It hurts a lot, because I know this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience,†Cam said of his father’s absence. “I know he’s with me in spirit, though.â€

Newton refused comment on a question about an ESPN.com report alleging he called a Mississippi State “recruiter†to tell him he attended Auburn because “the money was too much,†other than to say the quote is “very inaccurate.â€

He also said he didn’t have any plans on giving the trophy back when asked if he was worried about the possibility of vacating it like Bush.

“Two letters for you, my friend,†Newton addressed the questioner. “No.â€

Even with his father absent, Newton got to share the evening with his mother, Jackie, and brothers, Cecil Jr. and Caylin.

And, Newton felt, it brought a little bit of closure to a tumultuous five-week chapter of his life.

“When I embraced my mother, I really didn’t want to let go,†Newton said. “It’s been hard for me, but it’s been extremely hard for her just to see what her son has been through.

“I just wanted to hug her the whole night, just to make her feel at ease. Letting her know that it’s over for this particular moment of our lives.â€

Source: http://www2.oanow.com/sports/2010/dec/11/12/newton-wins-heisman-ar-1211726/

owls84

Premium Member
With all of the side line BS going on I just want to say he is the most deserving player this year. It is supposed to be given to the best college football player that year and I think it was. Now having said all of that the NCAA needs to address the issue of paying players or being recruited to the NFL illegally. I think they are taking a very reactive approach instead of a proactive approach. With the money the colleges are making on the marketing of these players there should be some sort of pay scale. Not based on talent but on position. There is an answer and this may not be it but the fact that players get awards then go off to the NFL then the schools suffer later (ie USC/Reggie Bush) is obsurd. The only people punished is the kids that are at that school during the time of the punishment. I know many people think the price of the education is enough but many times the schools are limited on the amount of scholarships and many players end up with little to no scholarships.

Personally it seems with the BCS crap and the status of the scandals in the NCAA I am personally getting tired of watching and I LOVE college football.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I'm glad he won. But I'd be happier if he ran right out of Auburn and into the NFL. Damn, we beat Alabama and Flordia in the same year and finish third in the division. Damn!

Geaux Tigers ... jwhoff

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
With all of the side line BS going on I just want to say he is the most deserving player this year. It is supposed to be given to the best college football player that year and I think it was. Now having said all of that the NCAA needs to address the issue of paying players or being recruited to the NFL illegally. I think they are taking a very reactive approach instead of a proactive approach. With the money the colleges are making on the marketing of these players there should be some sort of pay scale. Not based on talent but on position. There is an answer and this may not be it but the fact that players get awards then go off to the NFL then the schools suffer later (ie USC/Reggie Bush) is obsurd. The only people punished is the kids that are at that school during the time of the punishment. I know many people think the price of the education is enough but many times the schools are limited on the amount of scholarships and many players end up with little to no scholarships.

Personally it seems with the BCS crap and the status of the scandals in the NCAA I am personally getting tired of watching and I LOVE college football.

I agree NCAA needs to do more to go after players after they are gone. The NCAA needs to get with the NFL and make it where results from a NCAA investigation follow a player up into the NFL. USC/Bush is a prime example. USC is left to suffer, meanwhile Bush and Carroll have escaped to the NFL. Maybe have something like a player or coach found guilty of a NCAA investigation after they move on to the NFL must sacrifice a percentage of their salary from the NFL back to the NCAA. A percentage of a player or coach's salary in the NFL in addition to sanctions on the school is the only way to stop this without directly hurting the pro team not involved. Plus any agent caught doing this should be banned from representing any NFL players for a minimum of 2 years also voiding all current player contracts they currently.

owls84

Premium Member
The biggest problem you face with the NFL is the Players Union. Being in a union, I can tell you there is no way that they will allow this to pass under a collective bargaining agreement. One it would penalize the represented employee whom they get their wages from and two it would penalize the prospects which they don't want to do either. The union works by employees making the most money possible. The NFL makes money on sales and they are not about to penalize Bush or Carroll since they sell tickets, not to mention how much merchandise they have sold. I don't see the NFL making any changes to what they do just because they are in the business to make money not control the integrity of the game. That is apparent with some of the rule changes we are seeing.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
True, the union would block that. Then I guess the only recourse would be for the NCAA to allow lawsuits from the universities against players and/or coaches who have caused their program to come under NCAA sanctions since technically those people's actions did harm the university harm and also caused the university to lose out on money. Then the NFL Players Union is removed from the situation.

But for the NCAA isn't going to punish a moneymaker either until they are gone. Example, Bush's thing took how many years? And they waited until USC program was on a downslide to do anything. But as long as players, coaches, and agents get away with it, they will keep doing it.