College Students

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Sirius, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Sirius

Sirius Registered User

Yesterday I gave a speech in my public speaking class at Southeastern Louisiana University. I put up the S&C as a visual aid and most of the room responded before I said a word. To my amazement, when I asked the question 'who has heard of the Freemasons?', 3/4 of the class raised their hands. More than that, there was a Brother Mason *cough*p h*cough* in the room. It was a really positive experience. I believe I held their attention better than the guys at Lodge, they were fascinated. Now, I'm going to have to rethink my opinion on how we approach membership issues.

2. scottmh59

scottmh59 Registered User

very nice:beer:

so what was the speach about

3. ljlinson1206

ljlinson1206 Premium Member Premium Member

I'm interested in the subject matter as well.

4. scottmh59

there you have it sirius.two members want to know.....SPILL IT...

5. Sirius

Sirius Registered User

It was an introductory speech. I thought it would be more interesting than "i like the color blue, star wars books, and I have a catahoula named Thibadeaux. "

6. scottmh59

oh..i see...did you get an A?..or just a check

7. HKTidwell

HKTidwell Premium Member

Does LA have a prohibition about advertising or is it pretty relaxed on that? I think alot of people have heard of the Freemasons but I suspect few know the actual thoughts of Masons or how to become a Mason. I could be wrong about this just my assumptions. Most people I've known know of the Freemason but some have a warped opinion of them because little Jane who was related to my second cousins mother in law, said this or that. Most if not all people have been associated with somebody that is a mason in some shape or form.

Did you do a slide show presentation?

8. Sirius

Sirius Registered User

No, I'm saving the slide show for the 'informative' speech. We can advertise all we want. Just no direct solicitation.

9. HKTidwell

HKTidwell Premium Member

How many had a positive outlook on the Masons or did you have a chance to find out?

10. Sirius

Sirius Registered User

Based on the reaction when I put the S&C up, they have a positive impression.

11. TCShelton

TCShelton Founding Member Premium Member

Plain and simply, be vocally and visually proud of the organization we are part of, and others will want a piece.:beer:

12. Nate C.

Nate C. Registered User

I have seen a lot of conversations sparked with complete strangers, all because I was wearing a S&C ring, keychain, tieclip or lapel pin. Lots of people are interested, but just never really knew who to ask.

My Catahoula ain't named Thibadeaux, but he's a heck of a dog.

13. Sirius

Sirius Registered User

Re: College Students UPDATE

It's amazing how the S&C can start a conversation. Aren't Catahoulas awesome!

UPDATE: So I took a GM coin to school to give to Bro Conrad ,the brother I met in class, and to my surprise he had planned on giving me a coin also. He gave me his York Rite Mark Mason coin with his mark carved into it that he has carried since being made a Mark Mason. It is something special to him. He honored me with it. It was one of those moments I'll never forget. This Brother is one of those guys, hes a goodfella, a Traveling Man. And we would have probably remained at a perpetual distance if Masonry hadn't brought us together. :)

Share My Freemasonry