My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converts

J

jwardl

Never thought of this part as being embarrassing, regardless of what happens. STARTLING at times, perhaps. ;)

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Sorry, but I don't see how these incidents should tarnish Prince Hall. As far as alcohol poisoning, blame the individual and not the Fraternity.

J

jwardl

Don't personally see them as tarnishing PHA; this was one incident and may or may not be representative of the fraternity in general -- insufficient information. So far as this specific soldier was concerned, the family has my condolences, but it doesn't appear that he was FORCED to do anything, nor was his untimely death a direct result of his experience. The story does point out that the soldier had a history of alcohol abuse, and it was his choice to consume too much.

The tragic ending aside, I can find no value in using a paddle on a candidate for any part of masonry, certainly not violently enough to leave bruises, particularly in one of the areas mentioned. Was that an initiation or a Benny Hill skit?

Last edited by a moderator:

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
I know an OLD PH mason, and he started out as a regular mason, then went to PH. This was about 40 years ago, and they wanted him to go through the degrees again, and he said that he wouldn't. He suggested that they try him instead, and he passed with flying colors. I like this solution much better.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Indeed, why not offer them the chance to demonstrate their proficiency? Works for me.

TexMass

Military huh? If an guy gets out of the Army and decides he wants to go into the Navy he doesn't have to go through camp again just a 4 week course to introduce the way things are done in that branch. Are the degrees REALLY necessary in this case? Maybe, maybe not. That's a tough one. I think to go through the degrees may earn you more respect.

R

ravickery03

I agree with most of what has been written here, I do believe that he should go through again.

I would also send a private message to Bro Milken as he is a Prince Hall Mason that was a member of the GL of TX. I think he could give you some good insight.