My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Damn Conspiracy Theories

zakattack666

Whether these theories are true thus not be called 'conspiracy theories' or false and is just a conspiracy, i have been intrigued with the craft because of this. Therefore, i believe when a mason reaches the 33 degree, he will surely know the whole truth

Also, i agree my username is very 'conspiracy like', i do not believe 666 os the devils number but just felt like i should put it there

Sent from my HTC Desire C using My Freemasonry HD mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

JJones

The 33rd is an honorary degree in an optional side body. There us no higher degree in masonry than the 3rd degree.

zakattack666

Then can you please what you mean by optional as the lodge in washington is run by a master who is 33rd degree?

My Freemasonry

JJones

The 33rd degree is found in the Scottish rite of Freemasonry. By completely optional I mean just that: there is no need to ever join the Scottish rite if you dont wish to.
There is no requirement to be a 33rd degree mason in order to be master of a lodge, you don't even have to be a member of the Scottish rite. I'm a past master myself and I can attest to this.

crono782

Premium Member
I will attempt to clarify/simply (without getting into the intricacies of PHA, other countries, etc):
the "33rd degree is a degree given in what is known as the Scottish Rite. It is what is called an "appendant (side) body". It is meant for men who seek *more/further* Masonic knowledge, not *higher*. Scottish Rite consists of 32 degrees (I am a 32nd) and the 33rd is given for exceptional service to the Craft and SR. The Scottish Rite is overseen by one of two bodies in the USA, the Supreme Council Southern Jurisdiction and Northern Jurisdiction. The southern is the original and operates out of DC. Leadership of such a large org being necessary, there are elected 33 leaders who oversee it and its activities. They are the council and are 33rd degree masons. an "honorary" 33rd is what is bestowed for service.

So... there's no Washington lodge per se ruled by a 33rd degree. there are MANY 33rd degrees, most of them honorary for their many years of service. there is a council of 33rds who all contribute to running the jurisdiction. You get the idea, it's all a bit political at some point.

as bro JJones said, you need not ever join Scottish Rite if you do not wish, I know many who have never wanted to go beyond their lodges, but still become officers of their lodges.

Last edited:

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Then can you please what you mean by optional as the lodge in washington is run by a master who is 33rd degree?
I'm curious which lodge this is? There are many lodges in Washington (guessing you mean the District of Columbia and not the state).

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
I'm curious which lodge this is? There are many lodges in Washington (guessing you mean the District of Columbia and not the state).

He probably doesn't know the difference between a Lodge of Masons and The Supreme Council, Scottish Rite, Southern Jurisdiction. He won't want to either, I'll wager. Mundane truth is much less fun than dark conspiracy theory. :001_smile:

MarkR

Premium Member
A lot of state Grand Masters are 33° Scottish Rite Masons, but that's only because someone who contributes enough to Grand Lodge Masonry is probably also extremely active in appendant bodies and likely therefore to attain the 33°. But, the Scottish Rite honor of the 33° carries absolutely no weight in the Blue Lodge or the Grand Lodge.

He may also be talking about some of the clandestine bodies that claim to be Scottish Rite craft Lodges.