My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decorated Aprons

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Speaking of "bespangled" aprons (the correct term for them), Frontier Lodge has a special dispensation to wear them. I'm currently working on mine right now, based partly off an apron that Forrest Lodge has hanging on the wall.

Which Frontier lodge is it? The GL has two listed.

nick1368

The Article is way to long but I will hit the points we need here. It details the decoration of an apron and leaves nothing to question.

Art 273 Officers: Regalia: Apron shall be 16 inches square with a drop in the bib of 6 inches to the triangular point. Only the bib shall have the jewel of the appropriate officer embroidered on it and the body below the bib may have the S&C circumcribing the letter G . The outside edge may have a 1 inch blue strip around the outside. The bib can have the same blue strip just 1/2 inch wide. Past Masters may wear the same apron as the WM but with the addition of the arch (or quadrant) under the points of the compasses would be optional.

Art 274 Members: Apron Shall be the same size as officers and shall be white with no decorations

I think our lodge is in violation of this rule...I will have to look and see but I am pretty sure we are. And we ordered them JPLuther under the Texas Regulation Aprons.

C

C. B. Barbee

Bespangled aprons look really neat, but there is a definite lack of uniformity in them. An apron could pretty much be any size or material, with whatever decoration the maker saw fit.

Personally, I really like them, but they have their place-- in history.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
As far as I know, the only exceptions are for the TLR, past masters, & past & present GL officers, including PDDGM's.

Bro. Nick, we just got a new Marshal's apron from Luther- "eye" on the bib instead of the crossed batons. :-(

jwardl

The Article is way to long but I will hit the points we need here. It details the decoration of an apron and leaves nothing to question.

Art 273 Officers: Regalia: Apron shall be 16 inches square with a drop in the bib of 6 inches to the triangular point. Only the bib shall have the jewel of the appropriate officer embroidered on it and the body below the bib may have the S&C circumcribing the letter G . The outside edge may have a 1 inch blue strip around the outside. The bib can have the same blue strip just 1/2 inch wide. Past Masters may wear the same apron as the WM but with the addition of the arch (or quadrant) under the points of the compasses would be optional.

Art 274 Members: Apron Shall be the same size as officers and shall be white with no decorations

My lodge is considering replacing our aprons. I'm researching and would like to know what the requirements are.

Anyone know if what's mentioned here is STILL correct? Don't have a law book handy.
Interesting; if so, our existing aprons aren't legal! :laugh:

cog41

Premium Member
Thought this thread was interesting.

I like the decorated aprons within reason of course. I can see where it could get out of hand.

Maybe if the decorations were limited to masonic symbols and regulated in size it might make a comeback.

When was the last time this rule was visited by Grand Lodge?

cog41

Premium Member
Nice site.
The ones I like the most were 14 x 16 instead of Grand Lodge required 16 x 16.
So the the decorations wouldn't be the only thing to be changed.
Wish they'd rethink that one. Oh well, nothing we can't live without.

Txmason32

I acctually have a decorated apron from a PHA friend of mine . its sweet i will post pic later when i get home . I went to work on his AC and he asked how much and i said we were fine since it was minor repair . a week later this apron arrived in the mail . It is on display in my house now in a case with some old 1800s masonic books and my 32*hat . I have never worn it due to i have no idea if i can lol

Benton

Premium Member
That was a very insightful video,and I probably know more about the GL aprons than I ever would have known otherwise. And that's an awesome story, Txmason. Wonderful to know that brothers still take care of each other.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Thank you. Im just glad that it was so interesting to you and the others.

ESS

What I don't get...why the heck isn't this on the GL website? I wonder what other videos they have locked away. I don't often give free premium memberships away, but that was definitely a nice find!

ess1113

Premium Member
I had seen a book on the topic of grand lodge regalia so as I was googling it I stumbled on that video. I thought it was amazing at the symbolism and thought process that goes it to the aprons.

I was also inspired by going to grand lodge and seeing the various grand lodge aprons and I wanted to know what they meant. Thats pretty metaphorical of Freemasonry, you are curious and you seek answers. Thats just my inspiration so may not apply to others.

ESS

Txmason32

here is a pic of a section of our display case at the farm where i put a few masonic things . The Apron is the one my friend and PHA brother gave me after i worked on his AC . not sure if i can wear it in Texas but OH how i want to :)

mason.jpg

Mac

Premium Member
Does Tranquility Lodge 2000, which I hope to eventually join, have an exemption?

I thought there was a Lodge in Austin that had similar Lodge-specific aprons. If I remember correctly, it's a lodge that holds events in the Capitol building.