My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doing business with Masons

CLewey44

Someone said they would do business with a "brother" even if he cost a bit more. Why should the mason paying for the services or product not get a good deal or special treatment? I'm going with what works out best for me and mine. If the "mason" business owner can't give his "brothers" a good deal (and even ripping them off in some cases) then he's the one being a poor example of how masons should support each other, not the masons that go elsewhere.

Nobody should feel pressure or shamed into doing business with someone that has only the intent of ripping others off. I know car salesman MM and I'm not fully confident at all he wouldn't rip me off to make an extra buck on a sale.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
If you had a choice between two or three guys who can do XYZ job for you (design a website, fix your car, whatever) and the one was a mason and the others not ,would you rather be doing it with the mason?

Freemason Connect Mobile
There is a LinkedIn - like site out there already.

As to doing business with masons , for the most part: yes.

It must be their business and they must be proficient. I don't expect a break and I expect it to be done in a timely manner.

Same goes for friends and family. If my brother owned an auto repair shop, my car would be going there so long as he fit my conditions outlined above.

It's nice when you know people who have your interests in mind.

David612

I think the expectation is that the mason you employ will do his best work, not that they should damage their livelihood to give a Brother a discount.

Keith C

All things being equal, I would chose a Brother over another potential provider.

There are Brothers in my Lodge who I would go to for work on my home who would NOT be the lowest bidder on any job they might be in the running for, but their level of craftsmanship and the way they work and how they stand behind their work would be worth more. That being said the work I have had them do did cost more than the competitive bids, but was discounted off of their normal fees, and they were willing to have me buy the materials myself (as my Son-in-Law is in sales for a Building Supply company and gets me the materials at cost.) It is like most things, you get what you pay for. Another Brother who is a professional photographer did the photography for my Son's Wedding. Having used him in the past before I was a Mason, I know he gave a significant discount, but he was still a bit above what others in the area charge. For the quality of work, however, again, you get what you pay for.