My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dressing Down And Blimping Up -- A Reflection of Freemasonry

S.Courtemanche

Premium Member
So I have a couple questions for the members here. Is the lack of formal wear within the fraternity a by-product of laziness within the craft or is it second order effects from a society that has taken up being "casual" as some delusional form of "Freedom of Speech"?

I certainly do not feel that it is any type of laziness in Freemasonry, but more of societal norms moving in this direction. This may be a stretch but I am sure that people in the 1950's who by today's standards were always formally and over dressed would look at the Victorian era much the same way, with the attitude of how could they wear that it looks so uncomfortable etc.

Also, I don't feel it is delusional to think your style of dress is a form of Freedom of Speech. For many dressing casual is a way of trying to break free from the stodgy constraints of corporate America or ideals of the 50's.

I think the overall reason why people don't dress up as much is because we have been told since for decades that the outside isn't what is important and recently we are seeing billionaires and major internet companies that let employees wear anything they want and are highly successful, this only hammers that in to people.

I know in my case that I have full sleeve tattoos and wear long sleeves at work, and usually when people find out I am heavily tattooed they can't believe it because "I work so hard" as if people with tattoos don't work hard. So it is all stereotypes and judgement and hopefully all of it will be broken down.

As you can tell, I don't believe in the "the clothes make the man" nonsense

Like you I am sleeved and wear long sleeves and see the same reaction as you brother.

Last edited:

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Like you I am sleeved and wear long sleeves and see the same reaction as you brother.

Bro. Courtemanche (and A7V, if you want to answer as well, I know you have been trying to exit the conversation), what kind of reaction do you get from your lodge Brothers when they saw that you have full sleeves? What is their reaction now after getting used to you with them? Or do you wear long sleeve shirts every time your at lodge, including practice nights?

I only ask because the two lodges that I have been a member of, I havne't gotten negative feelings said to me about my tatttoos. Granted, mine aren't full sleeves, but if I don't wear a long sleeve shirt, your going to notice them. I have what I guess you can call a "quarter sleeve" or a "half sleeve". I mean my whole arm is tattooed, except using my blank skin as the artwork. On my other arm, I have my crossed sabers just above my elbow. Pretty obvious stuff. But I have never once had anyone at lodge say anything to me about it or look twice at it. A Brother of mine that got initiated a couple weeks before I did back in 2006 had a full sleeve. He was worried about everyone seeing it during his initiation, but nothing has been said about anything. At least not to our faces lol. I'm just curious to know if the Brothers in ya'lls lodge were pretty relaxed about tattoos being visible at lodge during meetings and practices.

S.Courtemanche

Premium Member
Bro Mike absolutely none from the brothers from the first time that I met them and still have not had an issue.

I get more of a reaction from individuals that I work with. I work for Booz Allen Hamilton and they are a pretty top firm out there in the contracting world. For the most part my counterparts wear suits throughout the Firm. It's funny because the subject came up during a visit to McLean VA (Tyson's Corner) this past week on the second day about three hours into the day I rolled my sleeves up and glanced around as I always do and caught one female an two guys frowning at me, when they realize that they were caught (I smiled at them in a knowing way)! The female and one guy were obviously embarrassed (the female it turns out had a tat on her back) the other guy turned instantly arrogant for the remainder of the day. I have learned to deal with people such as these and I just smile at them.

As for dressing up in lodge, I do when it's warranted. I wear jeans and a button up long sleeved shirt for called and stated meetings. Practice jeans a a tasteful t-shirt or polo.

Last edited:

Ashlar

I will be honest , I was once a member here under a different name and left in a huff over this subject , I have even gotten into a huff over not long ago . But my tune has changed since then and let me tell you why .

A little background first .... I am a member of two different lodges , one country and one city . Now my country lodge is full of country boys and I know there is no way I could ever get them into a suit and tie for degree work . I am a PM and current Master and it is one battle I knew I would not win so I left it alone so I would turn the brethren against me .

In my second lodge , I will be Master next year and I told them that I will be instituting a dress code . Suit and ties during degree work for all officers , candidates deserve the best we have to offer and suit and ties look great and leave a lasting impression .

Now why I changed my mind , a couple of young Masons told me how disappointed they were when , after their MM OB , they were brought to light and there stood the Master in a t-shirt , dirty jeans and flip flops . I was always of the mind that we should , at the very least , wear slacks , dress shoes and a polo shirt but that was beyond the pale and I have heard stories that are much worse . I told myself and my lodge officers that this will not happen in our lodge . Now for stated meetings , I instituted the uniform of slacks (no jeans) , dress shoes and a very nice button down lodge shirt for all officers . We will all look uniform and be comfortable while listening to the minutes and paying the bills .

Last edited:

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
Our incoming WM addressed myself (the JW-elect) and the SW-Elect about and idea that he had for this coming Masonic year. All three principle officers will wear at least khakis with a jacket, or a suit to all the Stated Meetings and called meetings of importance. He even went and bought all three of us the same tie with the S&C on it. I'm pretty excited about us doing it.

(Just adding something that I was pretty excited about since Ashlar brought up something like it)

SeeKer.mm

Premium Member
My lodge we where jacket and tie, I like to wear a black suit. The officers a,ll wear tuxedos, The last stated meeting before summer break...we wear Hawaiian Shirts, shorts and flip flops and hold a Ham and pineapple dinner prior to opening.

Ashlar

I have read the other posts and Cigarzan , I DO see your point . It IS according to where the lodge is located .

Like I said , my mother lodge is a country lodge . It is a blue jeans and work boots lodge , we are far out in the country and do not receive visitors from other states or the GL officers . I am the only member who wears a jacket and tie to degree work , but they are just country boys ( so am I for that matter but...) and I would not want them any other way . Most all of our candidates come from the same area so they come in knowing all these brethren and do not expect suits or tuxes .

My city lodge is the jewel of the district , it is huge and beautiful , and smack dab in the middle of town . We get visitors from all over , we get many visits from Grand Lodge officers so we (will) dress to impress .

We all want different things out of Freemasonry and I hold nothing against brethren who want to show up to lodge in CLEAN jeans , a nice shirts and cowboy boots . Let's face it , I do not want to wear a tuxedo to lodge myself , but if other Masons do , then that is their prerogative .

I will go out on a limb and say that cut off blue jeans/shorts , tank tops and flip flops have no place in any lodge UNLESS there is a special occasion as stated above by SeekerMM for a special "dress down" meeting .

Last edited:

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
a couple of young Masons told me how disappointed they were when , after their MM OB , they were brought to light and there stood the Master in a t-shirt , dirty jeans and flip flops .

Yeah, didn't you tell him "This is Freemasonry! It's the inner not the outer that counts, this ain't some 'high falutin' jurisdiction'." Really I have heard it before from some brothers that have gone through, that it was lacking and was upset about the way it was executed, or the lack of protocol, the top three gripes I have heard from newly raised brothers, include:

1) Lack of formalitity during the ritual - Dress is a big issue, but also lack of respect for the event. I just witnessed an EA where one of PMs talked during the entire ritual to a visiting brother. I mean, clearly the candidate heard it during the circle of ablation, completely disrespectful. We have to understand as Master Masons or Past Masters, you may have seen the degree a million times, but the candidate is seeing it for the first, and we have a responsibility to make it special for them. Joking, screwing around or holding conversation during the event shows disrespect towards the work.

2) Forgetting the name of the candidate, this has to be one of the worse Master Mason degrees I ever witnessed. The District degree team came and did this degree on a brother, when our lodge was completely capable of doing it (his mentor wanted it this way). The acting Senior Deacon completely forgot his name, and made one up! Seriously, can you imagine going through the degree and the Senior Deacon makes up a name for you?

3) The Lecture -- Men who read the lecture as if they are reading from a book, and is so fast the candidate can't even start to get the message. Great you got your cert, but can you at least slow down and show some enthusiasm?

As much as I dislike Patton as a leader, he had a good point. When men can't dress themselves appropriately, you can't give them greater responsibility. When a man enters Freemasonry he has already given a lot more than 95% of his peers would do, we owe it to him to make it as special as possible, in dress, work, and decorum.

Individuals here have accused me of me wanting nothing more than a social club, but that is farther from the truth. Go to Goodwill or another second hand store and buy a freakin' suit when you are putting the degree on. It means a lot to the candidate and will be a good investment in the Fraternity.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

JJones

2) Forgetting the name of the candidate, this has to be one of the worse Master Mason degrees I ever witnessed. The District degree team came and did this degree on a brother, when our lodge was completely capable of doing it (his mentor wanted it this way). The acting Senior Deacon completely forgot his name, and made one up! Seriously, can you imagine going through the degree and the Senior Deacon makes up a name for you?

I recently attended an EA in a nearby lodge that I hadn't visited before. They had a dry-erase board in the east with the candidate's name on it...if you can't remember his name, look east. Problem solved. :)

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
I recently attended an EA in a nearby lodge that I hadn't visited before. They had a dry-erase board in the east with the candidate's name on it...if you can't remember his name, look east. Problem solved. :)

Lol we could have used that idea the other night. :)