My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EA's serving on committees?

Bro.BruceBenjamin

Premium Member
I can follow the line of thinking of wanting a new initiate to be connected early with those already in the quarry. However I think we should be caring for the initiate during this stage. The new apprentice compares to a caterpillar in terms of development. If we want more perfect butterflies then we should feed them from the beginning. Our focus being on quality what kind of man are we really building?

This society has turned into a fast pased have to have it right now place. During the times of the operative masons they worked together and in most cases lived together. It was easy to see that masonry embrued their very being.To some masonry is a hobby, but for me masonry is a lifestyle that is lived daily as the brothers did who traveled this road before me.

The process of turning a rough ashlar into a finished one is long, but the rewards are great. I heard it said, "Grand Lodges make lodges and Lodges make masons."

Last edited:

Mac

Premium Member
I can understand that viewpoint, brother Benjamin, but I would not necessarily equate rote recitation of a catechism with the making of a true Mason.

How many Lodges require their EA's to prepare some kind of masonic education program or present a paper on a topic related to the EA degree and its tracing board? Honestly, I think that, paired with the catechism, would be far more worthwhile in terms of learning our Art than recitation alone.

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
I would just remind the brother that he cannot have his name published in any way associated with the Lodge, so his work will go mostly unpublished until he is an MM. He might be the cat's meow in his given field, but he can't be an official "member" or chair of the committee until he's an MM.

VERY good idea, Mac! I didn't even think of that. It allows the new member to assist where necessary, but also holds fast some of the older ideas. I hate not giving credit where it is due to someone, but I do think that this really meshes both sides of things. At least the Brothers in the lodge and also the others on the committee would know that he was a major asset when accomplishing the goal. Even if it isn't listed officially.