My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English Masons Who Are City Councilors Must Declare Membership

From the Fenland Citizen today. I thought this madness was outlawed by the European Union Court on Civil Rights, but apparently England has found a loophole. Apparently it's no longer cops and judges who have to register their Masonic memberships, it's city council members. So it continues…

Read the link:

Cambridgeshire county councillors and officers could soon be expected to declare their membership of the Freemasons.

Leader of the council and March ward member Steve Count has submitted the motion.

The Standards Board for England has ruled that membership of the Freemasons must be declared under the councillors’ Code of Conduct.
Mr Count said the council does not currently have a written requirement for Freemason membership to be declared and is not expecting any opposition to the motion.
He said: “Quite a few people have said over the years that they are Freemasons. They are not fazed by that fact being revealed.
“I think that the public would like to know that we operate in a transparent way.”
Mr Count’s motion, which will go before the next full council meeting on Tuesday, July 21, calls for all councillors and senior officers to include their membership on the register of interest.
It also calls for councillors and officers to declare if their spouse is a member of the organisation.

Continue reading...