My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GL of Kansas Adopts Background Checks

Michael Halleran, the new Grand Master of Kansas, reports that Kansas adopted a new resolution calling for mandatory background checks of new members at its annual meeting on March 21st. This is after two years of the program being done by edict. The previous two years showed that the program did not scare off potential members or affect membership in any way. This is a welcome change and one that should be adopted nationwide.

More...

jjjjjggggg

Premium Member
I was the first in my lodge to do this... wasn't a big deal, and I definitely welcome it.

It seems the biggest complaint is there is a small fee and some guys didn't like the idea of others getting into their business (right to privacy)... But I'm glad to see we are wanting to protect the integrity of our fraternity over trying to make numbers.

I'm very much against hard-core felons or child molesters/sex offenders allowed in our ranks.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

JJones

Background checks are really just a smart practice, especially if you want to insure the men joining your lodge are quality people. We charge a fee at our lodge whenever someone turns in a petition. It's non-refundable and goes towards a background check, regardless of who the person is. It's one of those practices I'd rather have and never need instead of regretting it later on.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I don't get why background checks have not been in place for years. In 1993 my California petition included several tear-off sections where I gave permission to do background checks. Later when I went through the line and had access to lodge records I looked myself up. I was disappointed to see they had not been used. I had agreed to then but they were not used.