GOD and the Holy Bible

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality' started by Mark89, Jul 1, 2018.

1. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Thanks! Decades ago I've been to Bar Mitvah and Bat Mitvah so I've heard parts of Torah chanted. Not knowing Hebrew I had not added those aspects together. To me at the time it was childhood friends singing at a church service, sort of like a confirmation or first communion. Sort of like stuff in Latin at the church services of other childhood friends, at the time I had no idea what it was they were singing.

Thanks for this part of the discussion my Brothers. It's a non-denominational cut-out of the earlier conversation so to me it has much lower risk of pushing the boundaries on the landmarks. I'm aware that for some jurisdictions the landmark applies to all religious discussion so this cut-out is about linguistics or songs or scholarship or something that can be applied to the sacred writings of any religion.

I wonder why the New Testament isn't sung or chanted. There are probably translations where that would work. None of the 3 English versions I've read, though.

Now I want to go back and find chanted versions of all sorts of sacred writings that I've read in translation as prose. I also get why the version of the Ramayana I played on audio-book was so hard to follow - It was a chanted translation.

otherstar likes this.
  2. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

I’ve heard parts of the NT sung, but not in English...the parable of the Good Shepherd

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

dfreybur likes this.
  3. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

4. otherstar

otherstar Registered User

On really solemn occasions, Catholics and Episcopalians still sing/chant the Gospel reading and sometimes the other readings for the liturgy being celebrated (Christmas and Easter come to mind).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. hfmm97

hfmm97 Premium Member

There is an Anglican Rite Catholic Church under the authority of Pope Francis that has sung Mass every Sunday-given that at your typical Mass
    there is at least one OT reading, one Psalm, one NT reading and a Gospel reading (more NT readings during Easter and Christmas week) that’s a lot of singing!

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

otherstar likes this.

Share My Freemasonry