My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long did it take you to get raised to MM?

Tony Uzzell

27 days.

EA-3/31/1998
FC - 4/21/1998
MM-4/27/1998

Maybe that makes it 28 days.

Prior to GL in 1997, you had to wait a minimum of 28 days between degrees (as California Master said). In 1997, the requirement for waiting period was dropped entirely. In the first few years of the 21st century (around 2004, I think), a waiting period of 14 days was instituted.

I have a friend down in San Antonio who did all 3 degrees in 18 days, if I'm remembering correctly.

Being Senior DeMolays helped, as you're already used to the work of memorization. But, it's relatively easy to learn the words. Learning what they mean takes a lifetime.

TU

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
If you have a good instructor it will take longer. I know that sounds strange but a good instructor will explain the concepts behind the lessons rather than just teaching you the correct words. Understanding those concepts is as important, if not more so, than just learning to parrot the verbiage. It ain't no race- take your time, be sure you understand what (and why) you are being taught, and, as said before, enjoy the journey. Besides learning the lessons of Masonry, you are building a life-long relationship with your instructor- one you both will always cherish.

CajunTinMan

Very true. To most of the younger candidates some of the meanings behind the words are completely foreign. Candidates must understand the work. Not just be able to repeat it. I was lucky. I grew up in Masonry and started out in DeMolay’s at 13. It took 4 months for me to learn and understand the work. I had the privilege to learn from a great man before he passed away, Bro. Shack Andrews. It was an honor to be his final student.

Last edited:

mitkin

In Australia there is a 12 month minimum between starting as an EA graduating through to MM.

From what I've read about Brethren graduating from EA to MM in less than 1 month... that is (in my opinion) beyond crazy! The understanding and respect that comes with passing through the journey to MM is being diluted by candidates rushing to become a MM in such a short amount of time.
I have been an EA for 7 months and only now do I feel that I have the necessary skills to become a FC.

Custer148

June 14, 97 EA, July 19, 97 FC, Aug 21, 97 MM. My dad was my mentor. I lived 21 miles away and spent most evenings at his house studying.

Last edited:

dreamer

I did it in South America and there take u 5 years is very very difficult to became a master mason only the best will rise to M.M
I like this idea of Masonry where you spend time in each degree before being advanced. American Masonry and their bodies are extremely fast in making MMs and SR 32 degree. Perhaps this is one our problems here in America (too easy).

widows son

Premium Member
I believe this is one of the aspects of a
TO lodge; longer waiting periods in between degrees for more contemplation, I believe they also make you write something similar to an exam as opposed to a questions which are memorized. I like the idea of writing a test to advance. It makes the candidate retain more knowledge rather than just memorizing and regurgitating. Although when you memorize it's in your head

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
5 Months from EA to MM proficiency turned in, it was a great time, and I wouldn't do it any differently.

S&F.
-Bro Vick

otherstar

Initiated Sept 1997. Passed Nov. 1997. Raised Dec. 1997. Turned in my MM proficience in Jan. 1998. It took me more time to learn the EA work than it did the FC or MM work...lol.

crono782

Premium Member
I guess I can answer this now...
Initiated Dec '12. Passed Jan '13. Raised Feb '13. About to start on my MM proficiency work.

Mac

Premium Member
Congratulations on your being Raised, brother!

I will admit, I shot through the degrees, but it was because I knew I had the free time to meet daily to discuss the work and practice during that particular period of time. If I was initiated during grad school, I'm sure it would have taken much longer.

I will say this: I don't think the length of your journey (short or long) necessarily affects your worth or foundation as a Mason. It's all what you put into it. I've met MMs (with several years under their belts) who didn't know what "the rocks at the front of the room" were, pointing to the Ashlars.