My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I do have a touching story:

MaineMason

I was raised in June of 2013. By my father. I put off joining for decades, though for generations men in my family were Masons. My father had taken a demit from his Lodge a couple of decades ago, as well as from the Consistory. He paid his back dues in both so that he could come and participate in my raising and show me the F.P.O.F and give me the Word.

Last April I did my Scottish Rite degrees, where my father had done his.

My decision to become a Mason has gotten my father back to being actively involved and it cemented our relationship in a way that has been truly transformational. Our relationship is now brother-to-brother as well as father-to-son and it brings a tear to my eye that he would be re-invigorated in his Masonry by my decision to join and that he personally raised me--which I did not expect--nearly moved me to tears. His father raised him, too.

Such is the dedication to the Craft that even Masons who are not active and sometimes, they "reactivate".

I would say that I made my father proud, but I think it was more of a mutual pride but with a lot of humility. Some of my brethren told me afterwards that they wished their father had raised them. It was the absolute best for me, part family tradition, and Masonic tradition.

rpbrown

Premium Member
Great story. I am glad that he has decided to become involved again and that you share the times together. My dad was not a Mason but my grand dad was, however he passed away when I was 12. I would have loved to have had either one raise me but alas it was not to be. Enjoy your times together as years are fleeting.

MaineMason

Great story. I am glad that he has decided to become involved again and that you share the times together. My dad was not a Mason but my grand dad was, however he passed away when I was 12. I would have loved to have had either one raise me but alas it was not to be. Enjoy your times together as years are fleeting.

Dad is 70 but we do a lot of stuff together and with his wife we go to open Scottish Rite events together (the Valley of Boston is really on top of family events). He'll come up for officer installation next month, I suspect. Yes, all the time we spend together--Masonic or family time--is special and he and I do all sorts of other things together and more so now. Time does fly. We're making the best of it, and I learn a lot from him. He may have not been an active lodge member for a long time, but he knows quite a bit and is a great mentor. I now realize that I was brought up with Masonic values and didn't even know it until recently!