My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Masonic events or lodges?

B

bobozxsdoz

Cá d? online M88 Mansion88 Betno1.info ·· Ch? 200k ^^

jwhoff

Premium Member
I didn't see where anyone mentioned the MM degree performed annually on the Battleship Texas moored adjacent to the San Jacinto Monument and battleground just southeast of Houston. Big pageant day including Grand Master of all Texas Masons appearing at the battleground and ship celebrating the victory and capture of Generalissimo de Santa Ana by brother Sam Houston.

There is some disagreement as to Santa Ana's membership in masonry. And, as is always the case, there's much money to be made in never solving the issue.

One thing I can tell you is that the legend of Sam Houston lives on through his great grandson, Sam Houston. I talked with the latest holder of the crown a few years back at a function celebrating Scottish heritage at the monument. You know, nothing to serious ... as neither he, nor I appear to be so inclined. Just such questions as: "Say, when's the last time you picked up the bill for a cup of coffee or a few beers?" and the like.

So says Sam, it's not an easy job. You have to wait around until your turn, you know. Before that, it was a catch as catch can livelihood.

Anyway, the latest rendition of Sam Houston cuts his hair the same way, has the same body build, and looks all the world like his forefathers. Although there weren't any hangers-on positions available I mentioned to him that all I really needed was a good friend in his position. It's always worth the effort, you know. And no, he hasn't run across a good likeness of the ole Generalissimo to date.

Last edited:

jwhoff

Premium Member
MM degree at Texas State Capital

picture snapped following the degree.

mm at Texas Capitol 9-19-09.JPG

relapse98

I don't know if it meets your criteria, but Districts 35A&B do an outdoor degree each year, Lem Maddox, held sometime in May I believe. The Scottish Rite Republic of Texas degree team puts on a pretty memorable degree as it would have been done in 1836.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Brother jwhoff, I have updated the thread with the information regarding the Battleship Texas. Thank you for that.

Brother relapse, I'm not in the Scottish Rite, so I don't have a lot of working knowledge regarding what you're talking about. Are you referring to Symbolic Lodge degree work, or is it specific to the Scottish Rite? I was thinking of having these pertain to the Blue Lodge only, but then again, I don't see any reason as to why I couldn't add everything.

Does anyone care to weigh in on that?

Trufflehound

Sure. I'll add it in. Thank you.

Edit: Updated

Edit2: Also added information regarding Georgia's "Sand Pit" and Louisiana's "The Day the War Stopped" (this event is particularly interesting).

Last edited:

jwhoff

Premium Member
And please add dates for both. I've long wanted to mount a posse for the ride over to Louisiana for that event.

Trufflehound

Added the Cove Waterfall outdoor degree to the list. I'm looking for more information on it, and will be contacting some of the lodges involved in the morning. It looks like it happens in May.

edit: If anyone else has come across any other interesting lodge events, feel free to share so that I can update this thread.

Macbooktony

My lodge (Alamo #44) opens a MM lodge inside the Alamo every December to receive the new Grand Master and GL officers. PM me for details.

Alamo Lodge #44

Macbooktony

Date is not set yet but it's always between grand lodge and Christmas on a Saturday. That only leaves Dec 14th and 21st so I'm betting it'll be the 14th. Will start a new thread about it once the details are firm.

Trufflehound

Added information regarding Moosup Lodge #113 and their Mountain Lodge meeting.

Also, last weekend, I was able to attend Georgia's 60th annual Rock Quarry meeting, where two MM degrees were conferred. The degree was acted out in full (meaning the lecture, too) -- something I've never seen before. It was really impressive (songs were included as well). I would very strongly encourage others to attend in the future.

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Granbury has a mountain top master masons degree. It is on Sept 28th this year. Meal at 6pm and degree to follow at 7pm. It is held in hood county, tx on top of comanche peak. Very good food and awesome ambiance.

Trufflehound

Granbury has a mountain top master masons degree. It is on Sept 28th this year. Meal at 6pm and degree to follow at 7pm. It is held in hood county, tx on top of comanche peak. Very good food and awesome ambiance.
Pardon the lateness of my reply. The information has been added to the OP. Thank you, Brother Baxter.

Trufflehound

Added the information for Eblen's Cave Degree in Tennessee as provided by Worshipful Brother jeffself.

The formatting is getting really messed up where line breaks are concerned. I'll try and clean the OP up at some point soon.

Trufflehound

The following information has been provided by W:. Richard Corcoran. If you visit the link, it looks like it would be very interesting to attend. The degree is put on at Fort Clinch near Fernandina Beach, Florida.

From Wikipedia:
Fort Clinch is a 19th-century Third System masonry coastal fortification located on a peninsula near the northernmost point of Amelia Island in Nassau County, Florida. The fort lies to the northeast of Fernandina Beach at the entrance to the Cumberland Sound and lies within Fort Clinch State Park.
Since 1736 the site where Fort Clinch now stands has been occupied off and on by troops because it sits at the entrance to the St. Marys River and the Cumberland Sound.

Construction of a fort, later named Fort Clinch, was begun in 1847 after the end of the Second Seminole War. The actual compound is pentagonal in shape, with both inner and outer walls, and consists of almost five million bricks. There are corner bastions and embrasures in the outer walls and several structures in the interior courtyards, including a 2-story barracks. The fort was named in honor of General Duncan Lamont Clinch after his death in 1849. General Clinch fought in the War of 1812 and was an important figure in the First and Second Seminole Wars.

Confederate forces seized the fort in early 1861. It then provided a safe haven for Confederate blockade runners during the first year of the Civil War. However, rifled cannon had rendered its brick walls obsolete and in March 1862 General Robert E. Lee ordered its abandonment, preferring not to tie up scarce troops in its defense. Federal troops re-occupied it in early 1862. This gave the Union control of the adjacent Georgia and Florida coasts and the fort then served as the base of Union operations in the area throughout the Civil War.

The fort was placed on caretaker status in 1869 and remained so until 1898 when the Army again garrisoned it during the Spanish-American War. However, the Army abandoned it again in September of the same year.[SUP][2][/SUP]

ftclinch.jpg 250px-FortClinchAir.jpg
Brother,

I have attached browser information you can use to look up details of annual outdoor degree held at Ft. Clinch in Fernandina Beach, Florida. The host Lodge is Amelia # 47 and they do an amazing degree. Not to mention its' Masonic Civil War History.
I have attended this Degree and must admit it was very well done.

Below is an excerpt of there web information provided in the web address included in this message.

Every October, the members of Amelia Lodge No. 47, perform a Master Mason Outdoor degree at Fort Clinch State Park, in honor of George W. Call, First Worshipful Master of Amelia Lodge No. 47, F & AM 1859,1860, 1861, 1862 Ft. Clinch OutDoor Degree
October 19, 2013
The degree is performed at Ft Clinch , Fernandina Beach, Florida with a 'Civil War' atmosphere. All Master Masons are welcome to attend this degree.

There will be a dinner prior to the degree at Amelia Lodge, 1101 South 14th Street, Fernandina Beach. The dinner will start at 3:30 pm featuring our famous "Country Style" dinner. This dinner is Fried Chicken, BBQ Brisket and all the fixen's. All for a "donation" of $10.00. Guaranteed you will not go away hungry.

For details please e-mail zebch@bellsouth.net by the 15th of October with a head count of Brothers attending for meal planning and preparations.

Don't forget to bring a lawn chair, Bug repellant,and a wind breaker or foul weather gear.

Web address:
http://www.mastermason.com/amelia/October%20Degree.htm

Yours, in His service.

W:. Richard Corcoran
inglis Lodge-324
Florida

P.S.
Several of our Brothers attend a cave degree in Alabama every year too, but I don't have any specific information for you. I will try and get it for you, and post in PM.
Enjoy the Traveling Brother.

EDIT: We have information regarding only 7 of 50 states so far. If you have any information regarding interesting degree locations or other things that happen (like the funeral procession in Lousiana), let me know so I can share it. They could be from the United States or overseas -- it doesn't matter.

EDIT2: Work has finally slowed down, so I'll be writing up a somewhat generic email to be sent out to the various Grand Lodges over here in the US to see if they have any input. Don't let that stop you all, though, from giving feedback.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Updated the OP and added the following information for Alabama:

Fort Gaines Degree Conferral - Mobile Masonic Lodge #40 will be conferring a MM degree at Fort Gaines (located at Dauphin Island) on April 26, 2014. (Information provided by the Grand Lodge F&AM of Alabama)

This ended up being a timely addition, because April is fast-approaching. Thank you, PGM Underwood for providing the information.

Fort Gaines is an historic fort on Dauphin Island, Alabama, United States. It was named for Edmund Pendleton Gaines. Established in 1821, it is best known for its role in the Battle of Mobile Bay during the American Civil War.

Exhibits include the huge anchor from the USS Hartford, Admiral David Farragut's flagship on which he gave his world famous command, "Damn the torpedoes – full speed ahead!" The fort also has the original cannons used in the battle, five pre-Civil War brick buildings in the interior courtyard, operational blacksmith shop and kitchens, tunnel systems to the fortified corner bastions, and similar features. A museum details the history of this period, as well as the French colonial presence beginning in the late 17th century. The fort was partially modernized for the Spanish-American War. It is a tourist destination with tours and historical reenactment events. The site is considered to be one of the nation's best-preserved Civil War era masonry forts and has been nominated for listing as a National Historic Landmark.

Significant masonry damages have been sustained during hurricanes and tropical storms in the past decade. Though these damages have been largely repaired, the fort continues to be under threat from erosion. The fort sits on east end of Dauphin Island, only meters from the Gulf of Mexico. Ongoing erosional losses of sand dunes and beach total up to 10 feet per year. For these reasons, the Civil War Preservation Trust placed Fort Gaines on its History Under Siege listing on March 18, 2009. The listing identifies the ten most endangered Civil War battlefields in the United States.[SUP][2][/SUP] Additionally it was placed on the list of America's 11 Most Endangered Historic Places by the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 2011.[SUP][3][/SUP]
800px-FortGaines.jpg800px-USS_Hartford_Anchor.jpg399px-Fortgaines2.jpg

Last edited: