My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lodge Meals II

JBD

Premium Member
The other thread got me to thinking - what dishes do Lodges prepare/provide, when do they prepare/provide them and what is the normal expected/anticipated/directed "donation" for dinner.

Here is where I want to go with this discussion:

Recipes, dishes or other things that can help us all plan a years worth of meals for stated meetings

Comments about meals for any or all of these - a) floor schools, b) instructional nights, c) degrees, d) other times.

My two Blue Lodges are a) no; b) no, c) no, d) Stated meetings only

Payment - is a payment a) requested b) required c) lodge provides
d) how much e) does it vary by entre
(Example our normal suggested is $5.00, when we have Filet Mignon (we have a restaurant ower in our Lodge) it is suggested @ $10.00

Our lodges tend to have non-fried, big salads, few sandwiches. Stew, Spaghetti, Lasagna or common. We get fried chicken and bring it in.

One lodge I am familiar with has food at each degree presentation and the food is the same for each type of degree but gets appreciably better with the higher degrees. For example - Hot Dogs for EA; Chili for FC and Steak for MM.

Alright jump on in here.

Last edited:

HKTidwell

Premium Member
On Stated meeting night the OES may prepare chicken fried steaks to spaghetti to who knows this month. Always good and well thought out. Sides will changed depending on the main course. The Desserts wow out of this world! It is a requested $5.00 donation however I think most of us chip in more to help them out.

Called meetings we meet up at the local Sirloin Stockade.

When our WM was installed he fixed up Gumbo for the lodge.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
We try to have a decent meal for our stated meetings. Nothing fancy, but definitely a decent meal, like lasagna, chilli with fixins', fried chicken (probably not again for a while), etc. We like when folks pay, but we don't make them.

We don't do anything for degrees, floor school, or instruction nights, since by the time we are done, we are getting run out of the building. Sometimes we'll go downtown for a burger and a beer, but we haven't done that in a while.

We usually save our eating/drinking for our frequent backyard sessions. We go to lodge for business, and business only. Works better for us that way.

MGM357

Every time the doors are open there's some kind of meal. Study night usually sandwiches. Stated, degree, and C&C some kind of hot meal. Somebody always brings a dessert. Every now again the ladies will have a "feed the Masons night". The past couple of times, I 'm showing up late.No requirement of a minimum payment, I try to give at least 5 dollars.

Commandery meetings the SOOB's bring covered dishes. I always leave there about 10lbs. heavier.

Wingnut

Premium Member
Im the JR Steward Pro Tem at Allen 1435. We have a kitty kan at the start of the line, brothers put in what they will, usual is $5, some none, some more. Most of the time we break even on each meal, and sometimes even a little extra to help restock the plates, cups etc.

We have a meal for every event other than study night. Every stated and called meeting we cook. We have had pizza a couple of times, chicken once, this past Tues I created a taco bar. We have also done a stuffed baked potato bar, shepards pie (homemade), homemade baked ziti, grilled pork chops and many other things. We also have a list of ideas to keep things fresh that we work from.

We pay for everything and the kitty kan pays us back (mostly). We did take a bath on a recent district event. Planned for 40 but weather went bad on us and only 11 showed up. Im sure we will make up for it eventually.

Hippie19950

Premium Member
Since I've been in, the WM will usually call me the day before, or the day of, and ask if I have thought of something for a meal. I've learned about this if nothing else :) I am usually thinking ahead for something a little different, as I had heard some mention how many times we had been served fried chicken, or pizza in the past. The WM will tell me to get with the Secretary, and the Treasurer, and make sure I have the funds to get it done, or see if they have any ideas if I don't. We will usually have something bearing on the weather outside, and the time of year. Don't want a good hot meal with the A/C running full blast, and the Brethren sleeping (or sick), and don't want them eating something cold, heat on full blast, and shivering so bad they can't remember anything!! We have an OLD cigar box that is put at the head at the table. I always put at least $5.00 in, and if someone is a bit short for whatever reason (Thursday night, and just before payday), I'll add more if I have it. My concern is that we have a good meal that stirs good conversation, and makes the Brethren want to spend that night with us, instead of at home...
We don't have anything for the nights we practice or study, as we meet much later. On nights of a degree, we do feed. I have not seen any particular menu, but I do like the idea of a "stair stepped" menu for them.