My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lodge Officer Duties - Junior Steward

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
His Jewel is the Cornucopia, which is an exact duplicate to the Senior Steward's Cornucopia. The Cornucopia signifies the "Horn of Plenty".

It is a goat horn filled with the "fruits of your labors" and represents a job well done.

The Junior Steward of a Masonic Lodge is an appointed officer of the Lodge.

The Junior Steward is tasked to understudy the Senior Steward position and fill in for the Senior Steward in his absence. The Junior Steward's principle role is to assist the Senior Steward and the Senior Deacon in the preparation of the Candidates.

Both the Senior and Junior Stewards carry rods, atop which are the jewels of their offices. The rods represent England's Lord High Steward's rod in the House of Lords.

The Junior Steward position is similar to that of a Supervisor.

Justin D.

Much appreciated for this post, I have just stepped in for a Junior Warden who has been installed for this year, but is not showing up for the meetings. The WM has asked me to be proxy for the position. I was looking everywhere for what this position en tales, but could not find anything.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Both the Senior and Junior Stewards carry rods, atop which are the jewels of their offices. The rods represent England's Lord High Steward's rod in the House of Lords.

Interestingly, Stewards in English lodges wear a dove, not a cornucopia.

Scoops

Interestingly, Stewards in English lodges wear a dove, not a cornucopia.

I'm afraid that's incorrect. In English lodges, the Deacons' jewel is the Dove with Olive Branch and the Stewards' jewel is the cornucopia between the legs of a pair of compasses.

See the attached Plates from the UGLE Book of Constitutions.

Attachments

• Book of Constitutions - Craft Plates Jan 2017.pdf
    943.1 KB · Views: 837

Keith C

Much appreciated for this post, I have just stepped in for a Junior Warden who has been installed for this year, but is not showing up for the meetings. The WM has asked me to be proxy for the position. I was looking everywhere for what this position en tales, but could not find anything.

Did you mean to write Junior Steward? Surely no one can just "Step in" to the Junior Warden's Station? Here in PA if the JW is absent we need to find a Past Master to fill the chair.

Justin D.

Did you mean to write Junior Steward? Surely no one can just "Step in" to the Junior Warden's Station? Here in PA if the JW is absent we need to find a Past Master to fill the chair.
Yes, thank you. That's what i meant. In our lodge if the JW is out we ask the Sr. Steward to step in, as each of our officers study their chair plus the next up in case someone is out

Keith C

Yes, thank you. That's what i meant. In our lodge if the JW is out we ask the Sr. Steward to step in, as each of our officers study their chair plus the next up in case someone is out

Interesting. We can not have someone who has not been signed off on Business of the Lodge and the first degree in the JW chair for a Sated Meeting, hence it is usually a PM. For Extra Meetings we are permitted to have someone else who has yet to be signed off in the JW chair, but this is typically just the current Senior Deacon who is essentially in training to be next year's Junior Warden.

Also in your jurisdiction the Senior Steward is next in line to the Junior Warden? Where do the Deacons fit in the Line of progression?

Justin D.

@Keith C my apologies, my mind must have been elsewhere lately. Let me rephrase and rewrite. I am proxy for when the Junior Steward is out, I sat in the JW seat only during rehearsal to have someone in the seat for practicing purposes.

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
Interesting. We can not have someone who has not been signed off on Business of the Lodge and the first degree in the JW chair for a Sated Meeting, hence it is usually a PM.

Glad it's not that way here in Texas... I;ve enjoyed being in the JW position, It's intimidating but you do learn alot.