My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lodge Officer Duties - Treasurer

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
His Jewel is a Pair of Crossed Keys, signifying he is the Collector and Distributor of all Lodge Monies as he holds the keys to the cashbox.

The Treasurer of a Masonic Lodge is the Chief Financial Officer of the Lodge. He sits to the right of the Master and behind the Senior Deacon. The Treasurer is responsible for all financial transactions. He receives all money, pays all debts by order of the Worshipful Master with the consent of the lodge and renders a report when requested. The Treasurer's duties can be likened to a corporate C.F.O. (Chief Financial Officer).

Brother JStoffo

As the Treasurer of my Lodge, I am interested in learning how you Brother Treasurers raise money for cash flow. One of our Lodges in the Keys owns property that they rent out. But can anyone give me some examples of how a Lodge can generate cash? We have done raffles for vacation property and have had golf tournaments and rummage sales. Looking to do more as most Lodges rely on Membership dues for income. Look forward to some ideas. And thank you.

Keith C

As the Treasurer of my Lodge, I am interested in learning how you Brother Treasurers raise money for cash flow. One of our Lodges in the Keys owns property that they rent out. But can anyone give me some examples of how a Lodge can generate cash? We have done raffles for vacation property and have had golf tournaments and rummage sales. Looking to do more as most Lodges rely on Membership dues for income. Look forward to some ideas. And thank you.
First off I am not a Treasurer, but I am a PM,, a PHP, and a Trustee of my HRA Chapter. If dues are not sufficient to support expenses of the Lodge, dues are too low and the person most responsible for taking measures to correct the issues is the WM, not the Treasurer. In my Lodge we do not count on "fundraising" to support the operation of the Lodge, but for specific charitable initiatives.

If your Lodge is in a position to require raffles, events and rummage sales to keep the doors open, I would hope the WM has elicited the assistance of ALL the PMs as well as the DDGM to figure out a path forward.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

Winter

Premium Member
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.
This is the number one reason I did not reply. :) Most Lodges have no interest in hearing this answer. If you need to have fundraisers to keep operating, you either need to raise dues appropriately or rid your Lodge of expenses. Like your building. But most Lodges just browbeat Brothers into more fundraising drives and recruitment drives to solve the issue.

Brother JStoffo

Thank you for your replies, Brothers. I will thoroughly review the books and see what if anything can be reduced or eliminated.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
It will have already been addressed in Committee. In lodge, the Treasurer rises and says, “Brethren, I propose that the subs be raised to £83 for the coming year.”.

“I second the proposal.”

vote.

”Thank you, brethren.”

Keith C

It will have already been addressed in Committee. In lodge, the Treasurer rises and says, “Brethren, I propose that the subs be raised to £83 for the coming year.”.

“I second the proposal.”

vote.

”Thank you, brethren.”
Exactly!

We have it in our by-laws that any increase in Grand Lodge dues automatically causes an increase in our Lodge Dues without a vote. We recently did a renovation of our Kitchen which followed multiple sequential renovations. the expenses for that as well as a large increase in our insurance due to having some artworks appraised made it necessary for our Hall Association to increase monthly Rent for the Lodge and all other bodies that meet at the building. Lodge, Chapter, Commandery and AMD Council all had a vote the following month raising dues accordingly. All of this was discussed by the main Officers of each body and were on the agenda. The Treasurer of each did exactly as you described and the result was the same.