My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Mural Defaced in Naperville, Illinois

by Christopher Hodapp

I'd far rather be writing much more uplifting stories about the fraternity these days, but there's been another case of presumably anti-Masonic vandalism reported today.

About a decade ago, the town of Naperville, Illinois began aggressively commissioning the creation of public art, sponsored by local merchants. The result, known as Century Walk, is a massive, ongoing outdoor art project through downtown, with more than 50 murals and sculptures. Naperville is about a 45 minute drive west of downtown Chicago, and the town's "Century Walk" and the Riverwalk along the DuPage River has become a popular day-tripper spot.

The local Masonic lodge, Euclid Lodge 65, got into the act by sponsoring a Masonic mural on the blank wall of a dry cleaners across the street from their meeting hall. Artist Marianne Lisson Kuhn created a painting that celebrated the heritage of Freemasonry and the lodge, featuring George Washington and town founder, Joseph Naper. It is titled, "Faith, Hope and Charity."

The completion of the mural was celebrated back in 2011 with a big ceremony. But the former dry cleaners building where the Faith Hope and Charity mural had originally been installed was torn down several years ago. The artwork was ultimately moved to a new location at 227 S. Main Street.

Now it's been deliberately vandalized and defaced. Monday night just before midnight, the mural was substantially smeared in red and black spray paint.

The Chicago Tribune reports this afternoon that a Mr. Carlos Marcos, 43, of West Chicago was arrested today and charged with criminal defacement to property. No motive was mentioned, but the Masonic artwork was the only art piece on Century Walk that was damaged — the Masons have already contacted the artist about its repair and restoration.

Post script message: In all my postings about these increasing cases of vandalism and outright attacks on Masonic halls and Masons themselves, I neglected to mention that one of our three major landmark Masonic buildings in Indianapolis had a door bashed in by rocks about a month ago.

Continue reading...