My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonry's Offering

peace out

Premium Member
If you will indulge me, let's have a little mini session regarding Masonry.

In one word, what would you say the Craft is truly here to offer us? Just simply reply with your single word answer.

I may ask a few to expand upon their word but for now let's answer with one word. I posted in another thread that Masonry was so gloriously simple in meaning and I mean to prove it here.

peace out

Premium Member
dhouseholder, In the form of one word, what would you say is illuminated?

Jamesb, I agree, sort of. Masonry is a fraternity so fellowship is assumed. Can you provide a word which may entail the why or benefit of the fellowship?

Casey, I assume you mean enrichment of ourselves. However, there are many facets to our beings. Which part is being enriched, or what one word that might be most descriptive of what you're trying to say?

Jamesb

Friendship on a deeper level. These guys are my best friends. I have to believe that for a majority of masons ( at least the ones on this forum) feel something akin to that also.

RichardRLJ

Premium Member
Fulfillment - (includes fellowship, light, improvement, deep friendship, charity, enrichment is good, etc. etc.) - see, I couldn't do it in one word. Sorry about that!

peace out

Premium Member
And, JamesB, what does that friendship do for you?

Richard, it's tough isn't it? I'm the same way. You've given a recipe and called it your pie "filling" (fulfillment.) Complete this sentence
"Fulfillment of my....."

peace out

Premium Member
JamesB, I'm looking for why that Masonic friendship is important to you. You said it was on a deeper level. Certainly, the fraternity (as most do) offers that. But is there something more to it for you? You could fight in a war with Marines and have just as deep of a friendship as a result. Why is that? What is it that you are sharing in Masonry that allows for the same experience?

peace out

Premium Member
And just for the record, this is an exercise in critical thinking. I'm not meaning to portray that I have answers. In fact, I'm hoping that everyone's contribution here will benefit all.

Nonetheless, I want to get out of the broad generalized terms and try to really focus in on what Freemasonry offers. I have ideas, a hypothesis if you will, and want to test it.

Let's keep it up and I bet we won't be disappointed in what we find out about ourselves and the Craft.

Jamesb

JamesB, I'm looking for why that Masonic friendship is important to you. You said it was on a deeper level. Certainly, the fraternity (as most do) offers that. But is there something more to it for you? You could fight in a war with Marines and have just as deep of a friendship as a result. Why is that? What is it that you are sharing in Masonry that allows for the same experience?

Many years ago I watched my Grandfather purchase a car. (Ford LTD) He didn't spend a bunch of time looking and pouring over prices and styles. Instead he talked with his "Friend" (this is how he introduced him to me (I was 6yrs old)) and gave him a "funny hand-shake" My Grandfather walked this earth with a invisable safety net. As I grew up I wanted that also, as I found his masonic things (after his death) I did the research on this and found that this must have been the "net" he lived with, and I joined a lodge near my home. I doesn't look like much from the outside, it might even look abandoned, but you will never find a better group of guys, "living" on the inside. I now find myself with the added confidence the only "family" can bring. If I have to fight I have a group of guys ready to assist or talk me down.
The rest of the world lives and breaths with the lack of community. This is what is being cultivated, but I become more secure in my life because I add that security to my brothers; my family. We are a community.

peace out

Premium Member
"Safety net" is a very interesting choice of description. James, What about this net's material, if you will, makes it so safe?

Jamesb

makes it so safe?
Have you ever seen the gymnast who goes for the world record? Have you ever noticed those people in white, whose job it is to keep them from falling on their...? What would you do if you knew that someone had your back? What you do if you knew someone was looking over your shoulder? What if that person would not judge you but would "whisper good council"

peace out

Premium Member
Certainly you have described why you can describe it as a safety net.

Think of it this way. Men don't usually gather fraternally just to "have each others back." There is almost always a "work" that is performed to make it happen, like the catcher for the gymnast. Take for instance a gang. They have each others back to death. They also have job functions, be it drugs dealings or whatever.

So what I am asking you is, what is it about Masonry in particular that causes you to flee to their aide and them to yours? I think there is a deeper reasoning or causality behind what you are describing. I am wanting to trace roots with you.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
coachn, opportunity for what?
  1. Candidate Level:
    • Touring a place I had only read or heard about.
    • Getting/Asking people to vouch for me.
    • Meeting good men who are better for working toward a position to judge my suitability to join them.
    • Interviewing to join something special.
    • Proofing up that I am as stated.
  2. EA Level:
    • Obligating myself toward something very special.
    • Committing myself to better myself.
    • Preparing to learn.
    • Learning some basics of Symbolism.
    • Unburdening myself by Divesting myself of Vice and Superfluity.
    • Strengthening myself by Investing myself with at least 7 different types of Virtue.
    • Learning better as to what is truly important and what is unimportant.
  3. FC Level:
    • Obligating myself toward something very special again.
    • Committing myself to better myself again.
    • Learning how to learn.
    • Order my chaotic mind by studying 7 specific areas that are all Ordering specific areas of my brain and integrating these areas together into one unified mass (a House not made by hands.)
    • Raising my ability to comprehend things, issues, topics and patterns that used to baffle me.
    • Developing the ability to understand these seven specific areas of study.
    • Learning some truly deep meanings of Symbols.
    • Learning even better as to what is truly important and what is unimportant.
  4. MM Level:
    • Obligating myself toward something very special once again.
    • Committing myself to better myself once again.
    • Engaging in a Legend designed to see if I had indeed Mastered what I claimed I have.
    • Acknowledging through a morality play that I earned the title of "Widow's Son.
    • Learning yet better as to what is truly important and what is unimportant.
    • Delving even deeper into Symbols and their meanings.
    • Committing myself to teach and guide those worthy Brothers who want the same opportunities.
    • Teaching and guiding worthy Brothers.
    • Committing to continue to Learn.
    • Learning what I can, when I can, while I can.
To name just a few...

Bro. Coach N

Last edited: