My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Master Craftsman Program grading

crono782

Premium Member
This will sound silly, but I couldn't find the answer elsewhere so thought I'd ask here...

I just sent back the first quiz for my Master Craftsman and was curious, what (if any) is the grading scheme for it? If I miss a single question are they going to fail me or is it more of a A, B, C, F grading system? Not that I think I'm gonna fail. I did the reading assignment, took the test, wrote the essay, and feel confident. Just one question keeps nagging at my mind that I thought was a bit vague and is bothering me, lol.

Newwardorder

There's no grading, really. They wouldn't fail anyone who put honest effort into the quiz and essay. The graders may make corrections or comments, but it's not like they'll give you a letter or number grade.

Freemason Connect Mobile

widows son

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure we don't do that in my jurisdiction, as far as I know. We do have proficiency before getting a new degree. What type of questions are you asked?

Newwardorder

WS, the Master Craftsman program is something offered by the Scottish Rite, SJ. It's a series of quizzes and essays based on the rituals of the Scottish Rite. While it does touch on the Blue Lodge degrees, it's not part of proving proficiency in them.

Freemason Connect Mobile

jwhoff

Premium Member
The brethren who grade your answers will only point you toward further knowledge, either in the book or elsewhere, that will round out your understanding of the topic question. There's no pass or fail. That would be irrelevant to the agenda. The purpose is to jump-start your progression into the order ... sort of fast-pace "learning the ropes."

Sweat not dear brother! Jump in and get your feet wet. Use your reference materials. Whatever you have already learned or can find elsewhere is just going to increase your understanding.

Remember, the whole purpose of the course is to help you with understanding the materials.

God bless and keep you.

Keep following the light!

Newwardorder

WS, it's done by the SJ, but anyone can take the quizzes and participate, even non-Masons. The cost of the class is minimal ($35), but the books needed would run about $100 retail. I received the books and enrollment in the MC program as part of my Reunion fee, but I don't know if that was a Valley program, Orient program or SJ program.

Freemason Connect Mobile

crono782

Premium Member
The SMJ website (scottishrite.org) has an online store. You can purchase the MCP/monitor bundle for $35 and Bridge to Light for $25. Not a bad deal for what you get. If you buy the monitor by itself, it runs $75!

Freemason Connect Mobile

Morris

Premium Member
The brethren who grade your answers will only point you toward further knowledge, either in the book or elsewhere, that will round out your understanding of the topic question. There's no pass or fail. That would be irrelevant to the agenda. The purpose is to jump-start your progression into the order ... sort of fast-pace "learning the ropes."

Sweat not dear brother! Jump in and get your feet wet. Use your reference materials. Whatever you have already learned or can find elsewhere is just going to increase your understanding.

Remember, the whole purpose of the course is to help you with understanding the materials.

God bless and keep you.

Keep following the light!

I just ordered mine last night, I'm looking forward to it! Anyone else just starting out on this?

Zaden

I ordered the program after going through the degrees this past May. Sent in the first quiz a week or two ago. The depth of history covered has been quite interesting and I'm looking forward to digging further into the degrees.