My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MEMORIZING THE WORK!

ARizo1011

Premium Member
Brethren, any Tips on memorizing the work?

Having a hard time memorizing it word by word. In FLorida we have a catechism book not sure if they do that every where .. Any way I can read you the book no problem I understand the symbolism by reciting it is difficult. I have it all up until the Obligation... Then I need the book..

TIPS!! Please!

I go to several lodges in my district and attend the EA degrees to help me but still having trouble with memorization!

SMIB
Freemasonry

crono782

Premium Member
Rote learning takes time and repetition to work. We don't use a book here so ours is all mouth to ear for instruction, but I have used our monitor for learning parts for the long-form lectures. I'll try to pass along my thoughts...

When trying to learn your work, SAY IT OUT LOUD. Hearing yourself actually say the words will not only help to commit it to memory, but will also help by establishing muscle memory. It sounds silly, but I basically commit my morning commute to work (every single morning) to reciting ritual work. I really cannot stress enough how much better information is committed this way rather than just reading. For myself, as an EA I tried to learn both the questions and the answers, which helped lead me into my next answers. I used different "voices" for questions and answers. Helped to keep it all from running together.

After that, I suggest never moving on to another part until you not only have it down perfectly, but also comfortably. That is, no long pauses while you try to recall the words or stutters. When you can say it naturally, smoothly, at a normal cadence, like you're talking, then move on to the next part.

Speaking of cadence, establish one! Don't try to spit all the words out as fast as you can. The cadence, that is, timing, that you make yourself speak at will do wonders in helping your mind to establish a rhythm to your words and help it to come out smoothly and easily. Use inflection and emotion in your words. Proper emphasis on parts that are important or cause you problems will help distinguish them in your mind.

Use mnemonics! Even for simple lists or items you have trouble remembering, establish a memory device that will help you recall it later even if the actual mnemonic is silly or doesn't make sense (ex. I made up and use the phrase "weasel manufacturer" as a mnemonic for a particular part, it would make no sense to anybody else, but it helped me once upon a time and is unique to me).

Also, be visual. Try to tie what you are saying to what you are seeing, even if it is not the entire picture, maybe a detail that will trigger the right words, heck it may not even be related to what you are saying. A visual mnemonic of sorts.

As you learn a new part, start from the beginning, every time. That way you say the beginning parts SO MUCH that your brain can spit them out without even committing thought to them, it just knows them.

Good luck!

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
My mentor recited sections when he walked his dog. Another Brother I know has a small turquoise mine, and recites as he digs. "Say it out loud" is great advice, and if you can practice in the lodge room during off-hours , all the better.

nixxon2000

Premium Member
I'm in the same boat. I'm working on the mm obligating which is super long. But speaking it out loud helps a lot. My wife and I just had our first son so as I'm rocking him to sleep.... We'll as much as a 3 week old sleeps, I recite the part I can remember.

Just take time and practice.

SMIB

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

cdovalinaRR227

Get rid of the book. There is a big difference in learning your work and memorizing it. Take the time to sit with another brother from your lodge and go over it mouth to ear. After you got it down and turn in use the book to brush up some loose ends and to stay proficient so you can then help a Newley initiated brother. Good luck brother.

Round Rock Lodge #227
Round Rock, TX
Instagram- cdovalina

jvarnell

Premium Member
I had problems untill I started getting on my bike right after I worked with my mintor and and saying it out load in my helmet to my self.

JasonAttas

Past Master & Private Investigator
Premium Member
I wholeheartedly agree with Brother CdovalinaRR227 above. Get rid of the book. Get a mentor.
The ONLY way to learn the work proficiently is to have that B2B (Brother to Brother) interaction. Since you will be turning in your proficiency in a B2B setting, practicing the work that way will make it significantly easier.
I cringe when I hear that other Grand jurisdictions allow the use of a cipher book for newly initiated EAs, especially when they dress up what they call the book with flowery language like "catechism." It's a code book, or a cipher book. Scrap it. Scrap it today. Learn your work "the old fashioned way," but not because the old fashioned way is old fashioned, but it really is the BEST way to actually learn the material.

Good luck, Brother!

crono782

Premium Member
To be fair,"catechism" is a term meaning teaching via a system of questions and answers. I guess it's still a catechism, but not in the teaching sense.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

BroBook

Premium Member
Do it like your favorite movie , do it until you know what is coming next , then forever do it again, you want to get to a point that you notice/ not respond to every thing that could be considered masonic!!!!

Bro Book
M.W.U.G.L. Of Fl: P.H.A.
Excelsior # 43
At pensacola

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
Time, patience, and perseverance... Find a good, preferably certified, lecturer, and work with him. Learn the words right the first time; it's much easier to put the good words in in the first place, and much harder to get the bad words out. Learn the questions and answers both, so you can lecture yourself when needed. Start with a single question or answer; or a phrase if you're studying open/close or conferral. Once you have that part own consistently, add the next question or phrase, and start stringing them together.

For the obligation, especially the master's, where it's easy to get the ties out of order or to even skip one, a simple memnomic will help you keep them in order and all accounted for. Works for the FC lecture as well.

Repetition and practice is the key!! Saying it out loud... While studying for my instructor certification, I turned off the radio in the truck (and still do) and worked on reciting the work. During a recent road trip, I started to recite the entire exam start to finish, started off with the EA lecture in Lonoke, AR, opened the lodge, conferred all three degrees, went through the second sections and supplemental lectures, then closed 'er down some where south of Clarksdale, MS. (At this level, it takes a while ;-) Took 3 hours of solid work for the exam.) Worked it to the point that my mentor could throw out a random phrase from anywhere in the work, and I could pick up and recite from there.

ARizo1011

Premium Member
Brethren... I honestly didn't think I would get the responses I did... I decided to wing it and thought "hey maybe some brothers on here have tips... And you all did. Thank you all so much. All your advise will be put to use. I thank you all. I will keep you updated upon passing my proficiency! Have a great day/night brothers!! Thank you all again!

SMIB
Freemasonry

Bro.Goatman

You need a Brother to work with you. While working,NO BOOK. Use book to recall only. Move along one sentence at a time.

Willys

Premium Member
Bro. ARizo1011, come back to let us know how it's going.

A couple of additional points plus some of the above.

Yeah, abandon the crutch, trust yourself.

You mention visiting several Lodges. That's good but try to use only one instructor. Multiple instructors can result in confusion as each will have his own quirks, stopping or correcting in different places. That can throw off your rhythm, or cadence as indicated by Brother crono782, above.

Something I learned from teaching the work is that I learned from the teaching experience. The more I 'taught' the more I knew. So, turn it around... you might recognize this, and teach it back to your instructor. Rather than dragging out a rote memory challenge, explain to your inquirer what you do know.

We all talk about testing, and exam, and trial, and on and on. But it's really more about learning and recognizing what you've learned and how to apply that knowledge. An electrician knows that a switch turns on/off an electrical device but even more, he recognizes the electrical function. You're not trying to prove you can pass a test, you're learning how to apply the lessons of the craft.

Good luck...

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
Like Texas, Arkansas is one of those jurisdictions where cipher or code books are strictly prohibited. Mouth-to-ear is the only way to pass it on, with the exception of some very small parts that are printed in the state Monitor.

Work one-on-one with a certified instructor or lecturer... That's what the certification is for, the standardization and preservation of the Ritual, and that fellow has to be word-perfect in order to be certified in the first place.

Harry S Truman lectured and conferred the degrees on his mules, while walking or riding behind them on a gang plow. He became a district lecturer that way. My bird dog, Sam, is something like a 99th degree Mason by now for all the degrees and lectures I've practiced on him. Even studying for my instructor's card, I spent about 15 months being lectured just like an EA by my mentors... some 30,000 words or so in that part of the Work. I would be lectured at least once or twice per week, then on my own time, turn off the radio and recite the parts I was working on. Also helping to lecture some of the newer candidates in the lodge, as well as traveling and actually working parts in the degrees, and listening closely to what was going on when I wasn't actually working. I'm now working to earn the red card, which is simply the second section of the Masters degree and only about 6000 words or so in comparison. Repetition, repetition, repetition, until you've got it running in your mind like a tape track (or ear worm).

Once you have the words pretty well down, you will soon note that the part has a cadence, or rhythm, which will help you remember (or at least recognize when you've strayed off the path). Use that.

Traveling helps in the repetition part, but in many/most little lodges, you will hear a wide variety of the same section of the work ;-) That's why it's best to work with a certified lecturer, so as to resolve just what the good words are so's you can keep the bad words out.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Im from florida also. Spend alot of time with your mentor. I used the same book until i knew how to read it, then never opened it again.

Out loud, in the car, at work in my head. Youll get it. Dont rush.

Last edited:

streeter

over 30 years membership i have learned the work in three jurisdictions - something that i have discovered that works for me - is to read just once - before going to bed and sleeping - that part of the work you are attempting to memorize - and then immediately upon waking to read it again - slowly and deliberately both times - this works for me - it may not work for you - also - i make a serious effort not to 'force' myself - i have some other ideas as well - good luck brother ...robert streeter.