My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Concerns regarding Masonry

cemab4y

Premium Member
I have to say that I do believe Christ's suffering and Resurrection is the only way to salvation

since He said. I am the way the truth and the light and NO man comes to The Father

but by me. This does not mean I run around telling people they are going to hell or disrespect other people in their religion.

I want to join your fraternity badly. I have done countless hours of

research and soul searching. OF COURSE I have come across some very weird

info on masonry most of which is probably false. I have a friend who is a 32°

mason who signed my petition. I am not going to run around and ask everyone in a

lodge what their beliefs are but I just want assurance that Masonry can co-exist

with Christ. I am a Christian first and then a mason should I be raised one.

I also believe salvation is by grace through faith alone. I do however think that

faith produces works and that evidence of faith is found in works. The epistle of

James clearly states faith without works is dead. I have one final concern which I

hope you can answer... In my degrees will I have to take vows to other gods that

I do not believe in? I have read that to be a shiner you must take a vow to Allah etc...

Thank You So Much,

Eric

Masonry is NOT a religion. Of this you can be certain! I have been a Mason for nearly 30 years, and I study comparative religions. There is absolutely no conflict between Christianity, and Freemasonry. This being said, Masonry is composed of men from many different and wildly varying religious beliefs. If associating with men from a whole "rainbow of faiths", presents a problem to you, then you should not pursue Freemasonry.

There is no salvation of any kind, in Freemasonry. Do not have any concerns in this regard.

In the degree ceremonies, you will be required to swear an oath. This oath will in no way conflict with the duties which you owe to God, your family, your neighbor, or your country. Just like when you join the Army, you swear an oath, or when you marry, you swear an "I do". You will take this oath on the Volume of Sacred Law. For a Christian, this will be the Holy Bible (Old and New testaments, most likely the King James Version).

The Shrine is not a Masonic organization. Membership in Freemasonry, is prerequisite to joining the Shrine. If you choose to join the Shrine, you will take an oath on the Volume of Sacred Law for your faith. Please see Home - Be A Shriner Now

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
I think “revere” might be too strong a word really, but perhaps some do. Admire perhaps, or be intrigued by I think may be closer.

Pike for example was a learned theologian – for the time. He was also influential in the KKK, so not exactly perfect by a good, long stretch. I think most folks who know their literature, mason or not, would admit that his contemporaries Thoreau and Emerson were really a cut above Pike in the area of world religion, if they have read all three men in detail.

But it is true Pike was very influential in Freemasonry, specifically in Scottish Rite. A lot of what goes on in those degrees would have been truly illuminating – in 1870 or so.

Today we all have access to many resources Pike did not. And for that matter, than medieval Christians did. Even men of very modest means can do a little (real) research (and I don’t mean web searches…books, and librarians – they don’t just shelve books) will show you how the modern day Bible got put together and that journey alone ought to have you asking deeper questions.
I would advise you to do what the Pikes, the Thoreaus, and what any theology student does: read primary sources. Read the Bhagavad Gita. The Koran. The Torah. Confucius. The Tao. Socrates. Plato. Aristotle. Spinoza. Aquinas. Bacon. Hobbes. Etc etc etc. Let go of this idea that the devil is behind all these other approaches and views of the world, it is the first step toward bigotry and that is direct truth.

There is a word that I think applies to many masons – seeker. Many of us are that. That means having an open mind. Noone will try to change your own path. But by learning the other paths you are bound to see that almost all the religions of the world have some universal truths that connect them all together. Love your neighbor as yourself. Be good to people. Work to be a kind, upright, and honest man. These essences are the epitome of freemasonry, not one particular creed or approach.

Good luck.

Star Mztyk

Eric...

You said ~~I think God judges only by the light we have.~~ From what I am reading you have already been brought to Light in your beliefs and opinions. If I interpret correctly, you wonder or want us to tell you if you have all the Light you need. I was taught to judge not least I be judged....so I dont know what you need. I know that any Mason enters as an apprentice...to learn things. Like subdueing his passions. If you want to improve yourself as a Mason ....Ask to be one. My hobby... makes most on here cringe....because I am an astrologer. When I was a kid I developed a strange fascination with Benjamin Franklin ....to the point that I wanted to be like him. I dont necessarily agree with Pike, Mackey, Webb or anybody.....because they sure as Hades will not agree with me. The High and Mighty that showed up for the birth of Jesus ....had been looking for several years for this King of Kings. The Magi....were not just Traveling Men .....they were astrologers.

Now I address the forum....The Magi were Three Grand Masters in every sense of the Word. Following a Light...Star....same difference.

Eric Edwards

Eric...

You said ~~I think God judges only by the light we have.~~ From what I am reading you have already been brought to Light in your beliefs and opinions. If I interpret correctly, you wonder or want us to tell you if you have all the Light you need. I was taught to judge not least I be judged....so I dont know what you need. I know that any Mason enters as an apprentice...to learn things. Like subdueing his passions. If you want to improve yourself as a Mason ....Ask to be one. My hobby... makes most on here cringe....because I am an astrologer. When I was a kid I developed a strange fascination with Benjamin Franklin ....to the point that I wanted to be like him. I dont necessarily agree with Pike, Mackey, Webb or anybody.....because they sure as Hades will not agree with me. The High and Mighty that showed up for the birth of Jesus ....had been looking for several years for this King of Kings. The Magi....were not just Traveling Men .....they were astrologers.

Now I address the forum....The Magi were Three Grand Masters in every sense of the Word. Following a Light...Star....same difference.

very enlightening reply.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Jews call Jesus Yeshua so...makes no difference in my opinion.
"invented" I agree.

But Jews aren't Christians. You have stated multiple times that Allah cannot be the God that Christianity recognizes. Thus, is it not reasonable to conclude that you believe that Arab Christians are not actually Christians?

Plustax

seems like some are trying to "split hairs" on what is a christian, what is the right name for God, Allah, Dios, Gott, ..... we can go on and on.....
i recommend not to use google because there are too many crazy interpretations of Masons out there. Best thing to do is to find one (elder or Senior) mason because he has been around awhile and has heard just about all the misconceptions of masonry. it is what I did and that was 26 years ago that I became a mason.

anthonywilson

I have to say that I do believe Christ's suffering and Resurrection is the only way to salvation

since He said. I am the way the truth and the light and NO man comes to The Father

but by me. This does not mean I run around telling people they are going to hell or disrespect other people in their religion.

I want to join your fraternity badly. I have done countless hours of

research and soul searching. OF COURSE I have come across some very weird

info on masonry most of which is probably false. I have a friend who is a 32°

mason who signed my petition. I am not going to run around and ask everyone in a

lodge what their beliefs are but I just want assurance that Masonry can co-exist

with Christ. I am a Christian first and then a mason should I be raised one.

I also believe salvation is by grace through faith alone. I do however think that

faith produces works and that evidence of faith is found in works. The epistle of

James clearly states faith without works is dead. I have one final concern which I

hope you can answer... In my degrees will I have to take vows to other gods that

I do not believe in? I have read that to be a shiner you must take a vow to Allah etc...

Thank You So Much,

Eric

Eric, I can give you the sterotypical speech and all Masons give, but I won't. Best thing to do is to vist the Lodge that you plan on joining and get to know everyone. Share your thoughts with the Master of Lodge and he can help you with your questions. One thing I will say is that Masonary is subjective and everyone has their own view of it, so be careful if you read Masonic books by Pike, Macoy, and so on. One thing that might help is this link: Membership Center | The Grand Lodge of Texas A.F. & A.M. when you click on it, scroll down till you see "Between Friends." This is a series of audio recordings that our Grand Lodge made to give to people who are thinking about joining. Hope this helps.

Eric Edwards

I was speaking messianic Jews but no I do not conclude a Arab Christian who calls God Allah is not a Christian.

I personally refuse to call God Allah but it's no so much about the name it's more about the statement

"There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet"

That and the belief that Jesus came back down from the cross because angels took him off of it.
This means I am relying on my goodness...In which case I am screwed... and so are you by the way.

anthonywilson

Is this a Masonic forum or a religious forum? Eric, your personal beliefs won't come under attack in a Masonic Lodge because Masons aren't supposed to discuss religion (or politics) at Lodge, that's one the unwritten rules, so others won't be offended.

Bro. Brad Marrs

Premium Member
Is this a Masonic forum or a religious forum? Eric, your personal beliefs won't come under attack in a Masonic Lodge because Masons aren't supposed to discuss religion (or politics) at Lodge, that's one the unwritten rules, so others won't be offended.

Brother Wilson is correct about your personal beliefs not coming under attack. In Texas however, it's actually a written rule. It's against the law to discuss partisan politics and sectarian religion in Lodge. These topics divide, and typically do not promote peace and harmony.

"Masonry goes hand in hand with religion until religion enters the field of sectarian feud, and there it stops; because Masonry seeks to unite men, not to divide them."

-Joseph Fort Newton

jwhoff

Premium Member
Belief in deity, your choice, and your immortal soul is a prerequisite to freemasonry.

A good healthy dose of "The Golden Rule" is a tenant we subscribe to. We're not in the business of telling a man what to believe in ... but we demand that he believe in the aforementioned requirements.

Be careful to remember the Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Precisely, that means neither you or I have the right to tell a man how to believe. The same goes for whom you should cast a vote.

That's sometime heavy sledding. But not everyone is cracked up to be a mason. You've got several choices to make. Choose wisely my friend.

VHN5150

I will just add, that I as well am Christian, and believe the same way that you do. I have applied what I have learned in masonry to my life, and have to day, my relationship with my Lord, Jesus Christ, has only increased. I feel wonderful about my decision, love my Lodge, my Brothers, and will continue to serve Jesus Christ with all my heart and soul.
We've all been where u are my friend, pray, and you shall receive your answer.
God Bless man.. and good luck!
Bro. Field

anthonywilson

Brother Wilson is correct about your personal beliefs not coming under attack. In Texas however, it's actually a written rule. It's against the law to discuss partisan politics and sectarian religion in Lodge. These topics divide, and typically do not promote peace and harmony.

"Masonry goes hand in hand with religion until religion enters the field of sectarian feud, and there it stops; because Masonry seeks to unite men, not to divide them."

-Joseph Fort Newton

Thank you Brother Marrs, please forgive my ignorance of the GLoT by-laws.

Eric Edwards

So question why the NE corner. I know that islam circles their black box with the door on the left counter clockwise
starting at the ne corner but I was wondering what the sybolism behind ne is. You probably can't answer me....But anyhow.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
I personally refuse to call God Allah but it's no so much about the name it's more about the statement

"There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet"

That would be reasonable if and only if the word "god" were distinct in Arabic from the same word that is used as a name ("Allah"). They're not distinct words. In Arabic, a literal meaning would be "There is no god but The God," etc. One might as well insist that we English speakers never use the word "god" to refer to the Trinity, since it was used by pagans long before it was used by Christians.

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
Eric your post seem similar to an anti-Mason I have met that post at Ephesians 5-11 and I wonder, due to the nature of your post if your goal is to find out about Freemasonry or to "witness" to what you believe are a group of men who are not living within their Christian obligations if, in fact, they are Christians who are Freemasons.

Many have written on the religion of Freemasonry. It is not uncommon for men to refer to religion as a big "R" and a little "r". Pike has referred to Masonry as the religion in which all men can agree. These references should be taken as the most generic of terms and Mackey's reference was to the fact that if Masonry had a dogma that was designed to encourage faith, it did not go beyond acknowledging the existence of Deity.

If you are here under a false pretense and you are trying to "witness" and have lied about your interest in Masonry; I don't think that is either Christian or Masonic and although your zeal and love for God might have led you to this decision, the ends do not justify the means and you will eventually be discovered.

Last edited: