My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Journey...(so far)

Mark Stockdale

Premium Member
As a kid I was made to attend the Orange Lodge, which held it's meetings in the Masonic Hall, I left when as a teenager they tried to tell me I couldn't be friends with Catholics. For many years after that, I believed the 2 organisations were one and the same, so did not have any interest.

I had an uncle that was RWM of Lodge Union 250 in Dunfermline, a man that I loved and respected and owe a lot of my taste in music to, sadly he passed away 2 years ago and at his funeral there were all these men that clearly knew him so well, I asked my aunt about them and she told me they were brothers from his lodge.

I was feeling down and was chatting to a good friend about this and he asked me why I had never joined the masons, as he thought it would have been a good fit for me and the masons. Turns out he had been a member for longer than I had known him. He asked if I knew anyone at my local lodge and I said I didn't, but as he reeled off a few names, I realized I did indeed know a few of them. He told me to get in touch with them, which I did and after chatting a few times in the pub, I asked for a form. I attended my Inquiry meeting, and after that, the ballot was clear. The week before I was due to be initiated I got word that I had been accepted for a Living History display team abroad and would need to pay for my own flights and visa, I had no choice, but to cancel my initiation, as I couldn't afford both. I thought that was the end of my journey, so imagine my surprise a few months later to find that I had a year from the ballot to actually join. I set about contacting the lodge secretary, confirming I still wanted to join and a few months after that I was initiated in to my Mother Lodge.

I've been a Master Mason for just over a year, in that time I've seen 4 other brethren come through our Mother Lodge, 4 of us became MMM's at the end of last year, and the latest brother will take that step next week. In January, I was elected as our JD of our Mother Lodge, a position I will hold for 3 years if the brethren are happy with me, before I progress to SD and subsequent positions every 2 years after that. If all the progressions go to plan that means in 9 years time I will be the Master of my Mother Lodge, (yes I know, it surprised me as well).

I didn't get an invite to the last New Intrants event, and just about didn't receive one to the next, until I asked why I had been missed again, the answer was of course 'You've been in longer than that', but no, I haven't. The RWM said the other day that he thinks folk forget I've only been a mason for a short time, because I feel right with them. Funnily enough, it feels right with me too, and I hope that feeling grows stronger as I continue my journey.

Last edited: