My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My story - and I am STILL stickin' to it!

Bro Mike

My Dad has been a Mason since I was a little kid. He drug me around to Masonic events all over North Texas until I was in High School and I decided that I could find something more fun to do.

About a dozen years or so ago I asked Dad for a petition. I got all of the paperwork completed, then it just sat on my desk for a while. I kept telling Dad I would get it turned in when I had time to mess with it.

Of course, a decade ago I had a new wife, no house payments, worked a 9-6 job and had no kids. I just THOUGHT I was busy. That petition fell to the bottom of my To-Do pile for a long time after a move, buying a house, having kids and changing careers a few times. All the stuff that REALLY makes us busy.

I finally realized that I was never going to finish being busy. And the older I get, the more I realize my Dad is the type of guy I want to be.

So this Spring I got a new petition from my dad. Three of his life-long friends signed it for me. Because they, too, are the types of guys I want to be.

During my initiation in April, Dad sat in as Junior Warden. The first thing I saw during my initiation was my Dad assisting one of his long time friends who was sitting as WM and conferred my EA degree. To say it was a memorable night is surely an understatement.

In a couple of weeks Dad will be back down here for my MM Degree. I look forward to that next step and my Masonic journey. Especially with guys like Brother Dad by my side.