My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a little guidance

ricodidit

so a little backstory about me so it’s a little more helpful. I was born in portugal 1999, i moved to england with my parents around 2004/05. i lived there legally (never applied for citizenship) until 2020. i have family in america and decided to come and live here, i came on a tourist visa and loved it so much here i decided to stay. I am currently living and working here, have every intention of becoming legal and a citizen wether that’s through marriage or a work visa/permit. I was reading some forums about illegals joining the masons and found out that it’s a sticky situation (some agree some don’t, depends on the background) i have a portuguese passport and a uk driving license. so i just wanna know, would it be best waiting till i’m legal to join or could i join now?
thank you

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
It, IMHO, would be best to wait until you are legal. Most, if not all, Grand Lodges have residency requirements, so you would have to fulfill them regardless.

Number4

Citizenship is not a requirement as we are an international fraternity - the question of just does not arise. I know a Brother from Waynesboro who is Irish, moved here almost 40 years ago and married an American girl; he chose not to become a US citizen but retains his EU citizenship for pension and tax purposes. I am a British national, initiated passed and raised here in the USA and now Junior Warden of my Lodge. I had to prove six months residence in the State of Virginia and pass the usual criminal and financial background checks, but that is all.

We accept worthy men of all nations! For example, nearby Charlottesville has a large number of foreign members who either study or teach at the University of Virginia: these men take their first steps in Masonry here, then move on to hopefully spread Masonic light wherever they reside after their academic career.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
i have family in america and decided to come and live here, i came on a tourist visa and loved it so much here i decided to stay. I am currently living and working here, have every intention of becoming legal and a citizen wether that’s through marriage or a work visa/permit.
Sorry but isn't this illegal?? If, as I suspect, it is illegal this means that you are breaking the Law which would tend to be an automatic no from Freemasons.

Number4

Not necessarily: the immigration process takes several years and the OP says he has every intention of becoming a LPR or USC, so we can assume he has at least begun that process. Immigration is a matter of Federal regulation and does not come under the criminal code

US law is different from the UK: while a felony conviction would certainly trigger an automatic ban, a minor infraction say, an old speeding ticket - so long as that was fully declared on the petition.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Not necessarily: the immigration process takes several years and the OP says he has every intention of becoming a LPR or USC, so we can assume he has at least begun that process. Immigration is a matter of Federal regulation and does not come under the criminal code
I read the original post as stating that he is in the US illegally. I know of no US Grand Lodge that would accept him under those circumstances.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor

US law is different from the UK: while a felony conviction would certainly trigger an automatic ban, a minor infraction say, an old speeding ticket - so long as that was fully declared on the petition.
If you are speaking of a petition for the degrees, not all Masonic jurisdictions automatically disqualify felons.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
so a little backstory about me so it’s a little more helpful. I was born in portugal 1999, i moved to england with my parents around 2004/05. i lived there legally (never applied for citizenship) until 2020. i have family in america and decided to come and live here, i came on a tourist visa and loved it so much here i decided to stay. I am currently living and working here, have every intention of becoming legal (POINT 1) and a citizen wether that’s through marriage (POINT 2) or a work visa/permit. I was reading some forums about illegals joining the masons and found out that it’s a sticky situation (some agree some don’t, depends on the background) i have a portuguese passport and a uk driving license. so i just wanna know, would it be best waiting till i’m legal (POINT 3) to join or could i join now?
thank you

To you, the wannabee,

Point 1 & 3: You admit to breaking the law
Point 2: You admit to being unethical
Point 4: As a member, you would be CHARGED with and OBLIGATED to being moral and respectful of the law

Sorry, I would black cube you if you made it through the petition and investigation committee and were put on the ballot.