My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Politicking?

JJones

This isn't about discussing politics, it's about discussing officers of the lodge.

I was always taught that there should be no politicking in the lodge. It's always been my opinion that this means that we aren't supposed to try to encourage other brethren to nominate or vote for us.

There are other brethren that feel this means that there shouldn't be any discussion about upcoming officer elections at all. This seems dangerous to me because it puts a lot of faith in a progressive line that doesn't always work.

Anyhow, I'm curious how everyone defines politicking and their thoughts and feelings on the subject.

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
As long as you are not encouraging others to vote "for" or "against" a particular candidate, whether one's self or another ("canvassing"), there's nothing wrong with discussing an officer's performance of his duties.

Bro. Brad Marrs

Premium Member
I agree with Bro. Bill. I think a candidate for the East should have a well thought out plan for his year, that includes the Wardens and potential appointed officers.

Some time well before elections, these Brethren should meet, along with Past Masters, and discuss the next Masonic year.

The progressive line has its benefits, but if a Brother isn't fit to lead, it should be discussed, so the problem can be resolved well in advance. This can be done without encouraging the Lodge who they should vote for.

It can be a very difficult conversation, believe me, I've been there; but it's best for the Lodge. Leadership isn't for everyone. I think the progressive line helps identify that; however, sometimes we need to apply the trowel accordingly.

I think this type of planning is responsible, and very necessary for the health of a Lodge!

jwhoff

Premium Member
I am in weekly communication with the Senior Warden at my lodge this year. As I watched members progressing through the line coming into my year, he too is watching the performance and progress of those following him. We discuss who can be counted on, who needs more work, when will we offer the extra work to bring them up to expectations, and which probably need to be replaced.

Communication with all the brethren in line is open as to what is expected of them and what limitations of time, etc., they are dealing with. Some have already responded that they were not going to be able to give the proper attention requirements to advance further. Others have eagerly asked when they would be receiving more coaching to fill next year's positions. A few will just not be asked to move forward. They were not able, for whatever reason, to perform the duties assigned to them this year. After due consideration and further observation the decision is eventually made with no other bias than failure to perform the duties of the position at this time.

Yes, leadership skills are not a birth rite. Many times they are beyond one's scope. Decisions must be made and adhered to. Still no hard or lasting feeling should be in the mix. I have heard brethren speak of their time in the East, saying this or that brother was not there when I needed him. He doesn't deserve this or that. I take the position that those brethren who have not been there this year are not there for a reason. Whatever the issue, it should not reflect upon his future consideration as a positive force among the brethren.

No, no one should take a responsibility in the lodge without the intention to perform that responsibility. But things change and the environment one finds himself in in March of one year may change drastically by September or October.

Change is constant, true leadership is prepared.

Last edited: