My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origins of Masonry?

HKTidwell

Premium Member
I was sitting in a restruant the other night and a two couples behind me were talking about how "progressed" we are in thinking versus the past. My thoughts immediately reflected upon history. All great societies have had a power graph. Typically you see a spike in growth based around a military, then you start seeing the demise in a county with social programs. Romans, Spanish, etc.. You also need a tyrant for growth. It can be said that Hitler, created more world growth in technologies then any other. I will site America for this, look at our road system, jet engines, motors, sciences, it is countless how many things took off due to WW II. Even though I say this Hitler was psychotic and caused so much damage.

I happen to agree with a comment that was said earlier in this thread, the lessons of Freemasonry have been here since time immemorial. I think the concepts, ideas, and basis for us have grown and expanded with time. We have had members who were great thinkers, innovators, and orators. These individuals have caused certain points in times to stand out more then others. Albert Pike, The founders who put together the first over site, Templers, Temple Builders, and World Travelers.

I don't have a clue when the first time a lesson was put together but I would be willing to bet it was before A.D., and before the first stone of the temple was cut.

Does anyone ever wonder, if the dark ages never happened, how much more advanced we will be. Also, why throughout time does it seem technology seem to take a huge step back? It has several times throughout the history of man and will it happen again? I think about this a lot, especially when I watch a show about the Romans.

Note: As I type this I think of the progression and degression of lodges, one could say that throughout time Lodges will flourish then almost fall. Almost like mini-civilazations. Man, I am really thinking now. Thanks for the posts.

LRG

Premium Member
Knight Templars were the beginning of our craft.
They took advantage of the stone guild masons to hide and travel.

They adopted templar from King Solomons Temple.

B/Wing please go on

Nate Riley

Premium Member
I believe it started with operative stone masons in guilds and grew into a speculative craft as non-operative individuals were allowed to join. As others have indicated, those operative masons guilds could go way back even before King Solomon's Temple. It is also reasonable to believe that the Knights Templar took solice or became involved in the masons guilds (or masonic lodges) and influenced the spread of speculative freemasonry.

Last edited: