My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origins of the S&C logo

LAMason

Premium Member
I don't know if you are referring just to they symbol, but this may give some insight:

"The earliest evidence comes from the Edinburgh Register House MS., of 1696, with two later versions, almost identical, of c. 1700 and c. 1714. They contain only one passage which mentions tools. It occurs in the course of the candidate's greeting to the Brethren on his re-entering the lodge:- " ... as I am sworn by God, St. John by the Square and compass, and common judge ... "

https://www.freemasonry.bcy.ca/symbolism/working_tools.html

hanzosbm

Premium Member
I don't know if you are referring just to they symbol, but this may give some insight:

"The earliest evidence comes from the Edinburgh Register House MS., of 1696, with two later versions, almost identical, of c. 1700 and c. 1714. They contain only one passage which mentions tools. It occurs in the course of the candidate's greeting to the Brethren on his re-entering the lodge:- " ... as I am sworn by God, St. John by the Square and compass, and common judge ... "

https://www.freemasonry.bcy.ca/symbolism/working_tools.html
Good information. I'm actually referring to the pairing of the two in the orientation such as in your avatar.

crono782

Premium Member
I'm not sure as to when the pairing of the two into the familiar "square and compasses" first came into being. My input was rather to when the two symbols were first shown together in any context to represent a larger allegory.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Here is one from 1761
ancient%20grand%20lodge%20seal%20of%20london%20picture.jpg

Interestingly, it is upside down

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
That is the Seal of the Grand Lodge of England According to the Old Institutions (aka The Antients, aka The Atholl Grand Lodge) founded in 1752 and amalgamated with the Premier Grand Lodge in 1813

hanzosbm

Premium Member
That's very good to know. So it seems that the overlayed/intertwined S&C comes about in the middle of the 18th century.

Although I typically prefer not to put ALL of my researched information out there, for those that are interested, this line of questioning came about after some research into philosophical alchemy and the how it related/relates to Freemasonry. This came about after a very in depth look at the Chamber of Reflections. While I know that the COR isn't commonly used in the US, I feel that understanding its origins and meanings helps to shed light on the thinking of earlier Masons who helped to form a lot of the symbolism of our Order. Alchemy plays heavily into the COR and there is evidence (though certainly not proof) that it found its way into the rest of Freemasonry. Or maybe it was the other way around...

Reactions: GKA