PHO vs PHA

Discussion in 'Prince Hall Freemasonry' started by TravelLight91, Jun 21, 2013.

1. freemasonpha

freemasonpha Registered User

I help out with the our Lodge facebook page and was instructed not to use PHA just PH.

Is PHA an American thing?

Thanks

2. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

First, you were misdirected. PHA is considered regular. PHO is not.
    PHA GLs do have lodges in some areas outside the US where US troops have had a presence.

May I ask your Grand Lodge?

3. freemasonpha

Thank you Brother for responding but I don't believe I was misdirected.

In Canada the A was dropped long ago. I understand PHO is clandestine and PHA in the US is regular, however, in Canada PH is used by the regular Prince Hall Lodge. The Lodge I'm a member of is the only Lodge in Canada to have worked continuously since 1866 and are the last of the Prince Hall Masons in Canada to own our building. More on the subject can we found here: http://tsmr.org/2006-jenkyns-phm.pdf

The post made here ( http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.ca/2008/07/grand-lodge-of-ontario-recognizes-mw.html ) mentions the GL linked below.

We are regular and use PH.

https://www.princehallonj.org/

I was just asking if this was a regular thing in the US and after posting I see it is.

Thank you again.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Bloke likes this.
  4. Glen Cook

I apologise if I in anyway indicated your GL was irregular. That was not my intent.

If your GL gave you the direction not indicate the A, who am I to correct them?

5. freemasonpha

In my zeal to talk about my Lodge I may have given the wrong idea, I was not offended, just zealous.

Thank you

Bro. Stewart P.M., tldubb and goomba like this.
  6. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

PHA- Prince Hall Affiliated....

7. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

Simply your affiliation, in this case you are affiliated with Prince Lodges...

8. Bro. David F. Hill

Bro. David F. Hill David F. Hill Premium Member

A quick lesson, both PHA and PHO are regular because they can trace their lineage back to African Lodge 459. The difference is that PHA is recognized while PHO is not. At one point all Grand Lodges were under the National Compact but then the Grand Lodges split from the Compact because of dissatisfaction with the leadership and a wish to be sovereign (State's Rights). Anything other than these two are clandestine. I find that many people don't know the story about the split nor do they know what groups are clandestine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke likes this.
  9. tldubb

tldubb Premium Member

PHO is not regular.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

10. tldubb

tldubb Premium Member

Here we go again.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

11. Glen Cook

I have am somewhat conversant with the National Compact history. PHO is not considered regular by CGMNA and this is the first time I’ve heard a PHA Grand Lodge indicate otherwise.

I don’t wish to disturb the harmony of the list, and so will invite you to discuss the issue at the rather harshly named FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/267483426933994/

12. aceumus

aceumus Registered User

This is totally incorrect information. PHO is NOT regular because they do not have the same origins as PHA. PHO began through a a convention and the NGL has never had any legal Masonic authority. It's clandestine which is why they were never provided recognition although they have requested recognition several times throughout it's history. Please afford me more time to go into depth of he NGL history as it relates to Masonic jurisprudence.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

13. the_widows_son

the_widows_son Site Benefactor

Definitely Irregular not Spurious like JGJ AF&AM however still not recognized by Regular Brothers of the Craft.

Sent from my SM-G930P using My Freemasonry mobile app

Ripcord22A likes this.
  14. Bro. David F. Hill

Bro. David F. Hill David F. Hill Premium Member

You are correct in calling them irregular. I erred in using the wrong term but the rest of the story is correct.

Sent from my SM-G955U using My Freemasonry mobile app

15. the_widows_son

the_widows_son Site Benefactor

16. freemasonpha

"I am a Prince Hall Mason not affiliated with them" was the response I got.

:)

Share My Freemasonry