My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prayers sent to those affected in Connecticut.

CajunTinMan

I am heartbroken at what happened. But we're turning out nothing but maladjusted kids. We can't teach them anything about discipline, they've almost outlaw that. Any discussions about morality in schools is a no-no. We teach them that everybody wins there are no losers so they don't know how to adapt to problems. It's societies rules that are the problem and no one wants to address that. That's why our jails are so full of people. All of a sudden kids become adults and find out they're responsible for their own actions. They don't know how to handle that.

School attacks in China (2010–2011)
A series of uncoordinated mass stabbings, hammer attacks, and cleaver attacks in the People's Republic of China began in March 2010. The spate of attacks left at least 21 dead and some 90 injured. Analysts have blamed mental health problems caused by rapid social change for the rise in these kind of mass murder and murder-suicide incidents.

Trying to stop violence through gun control is like trying to stop crack addiction by taking away lighters.

Last edited:

ThanatosTA

Premium Member
Tighter gun control won't stop someone with a mental illness from doing something like this. It may make it take longer for the person to do what they intend, but I had a room mate who had a brother that suffered from schitzophrenia, and when he had his mind made up to do something he though he needed to do, there was nothing at all that would stand in his way, no matter how long it took him to do it.

In contrast, read about Dr. Suzanna Hupp's experience with gun control. Or better yet, watch her testomony before Congress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvTO-y-B2YM.

Now think if just one teacher at that school was trained and licensed to carry a concealed firearm. It still would have been tragic, but would it have been as bad as it was?

sands67

Premium Member
We can argue about maybe all day. People can always assume what they would have done after the fact. In Suzanna Hupps case it may have made her a target to be shot first by the nut case in that tragedy. In Connecticut the guns were purchased legally by Lanzas mother. I feel however that these discussions should be held later and the focus should be on the victims and their families of this horrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to them all.

Colby K

Premium Member
My prayers go out to the victims. However, the crazy will do this if they have guns or not. Take away guns, they'll use bombs. Look at Europe.

THurse

Premium Member
The families, friends, community. I can not express how they would be feeling. Their are people here in Australia, that is in shock of what happened, almost everyone I talk to has mentioned this tragic incident.

apache2ford2000

this is a sad moment in the US, i send my prayers out to all the families.. As far as gun control go that is absurd America needs guns in this day and age and if guns were banned just like drugs are illegal the Criminal side of the U.S will find a way to get them. And all law abiding citizens will be sitting ducks. when you are thinking about gun control and how many deaths were caused by them just think how many more there could have been had all upright people been disarmed. As the old saying goes GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE

widows son

Premium Member
The problem lies with ease of availability. Even if this guy had a knife, this wouldn't of been as bad. There aren't strict enough regulations on the proper storage of firearms in America. If there were this douchebag probably would been deterred.

widows son

Premium Member
How easy is it to conceal a fertilizer bomb? He would of been taken out before anything could of played out. The reason why these people use guns in these mass murders is because their easily accessible.

CajunTinMan

WS is right about being responsible in the storage of firearms. I do agree that that would cut down on accidental shootings of small children. But more than likely an adult child like this one would have had access to a combination for whatever to get to the weapon.

widows son

Premium Member
Thats right. But another thing is if he couldn't get a gun, maybe he would of not went through with it, and a key lock is more defensive than a combination.

THurse

Premium Member
I think that the gun control method, may be a good idea, but violence will keep going in different ways and this is sad.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
Let us not forget that it was a fertilizer bomb (AMFO) that killed 66 children at a daycare in Oklahoma City. Not a single gun was used on that day and until Sept. 11, 2001 it was the worst terrorist attack on US soil. There are currently approx. 22,000 gun laws on the books in the US. Gun control is not the solution. There are more violent crimes committed every year in the US with baseball bats than guns. Tighter control only affects those that are law-abiding citizens. The evidence I see is that banning guns will be about as effective as our ban on drugs or even the ban on the sale of alcohol during the prohibition days. Those that want them will get them regardless of what the law says. I have guns in my house. I have a handgun that is loaded and unlocked in my bedroom it hasn't made me do anything like this kid did nor has it done anything on its own. The problem we have is that the people that do this type of thing get all the publicity and not the victims. Look back at some of the other incidents like this and tell me one name of one of the victims. I bet you can't, but you can probably recall the shooter's name.

This is a tragedy and my prayers go out to all the people affected by this senseless act. We should remember the victims and the heroes that saved lives that day, including the family of the shooter. We should not remember him.

widows son

Premium Member
I'm sorry but having a loaded unlocked gun laying around is irresponsible, do you have kids? What if they find it? What if someone breaks into your house and finds it? I know you would never do what that poor excuse for a human did, but easy access to guns is part of the problem. If you can leave a loaded gun next your front door or in a spot where it can easily be accessed, I think is just asking for it.

crono782

Premium Member
if its loaded, it should have a trigger lock. otherwise, keep the ammo separately from the gun. that's my philosophy.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I do not feel it is irresponsible. Other than you Brothers no one knows except me and my wife. I have 2 boys and only one lives with me. He is 4 years old and is already learning gun safety. I make him treat his toy guns like they are real. I grew up with a gun in the house just like I have now. If you are properly educated with guns then there is no reason to keep them locked up and unloaded. Besides if some person were to break in my house at 3 am I really don't have much time to go get the gun, grab some ammo, unlock it, and load it in time. The purpose of the gun is self-defense and an unloaded gun is about as effective for that purpose as a rock. Also, if some one breaks in he is going to have to deal with the dog first and if he isn't prepared for him then the gun is going to be the least of his worries. Besides guys it isn't like it is just laying out in the open. I am not stupid and I am a very responsible gun owner. I keep the gun stashed away in a position of concealment. If you don't know it is there you will not find it. It is fine by me that you don't agree with what I do, but calling me irresponsible is a bit over the top when you don't know my background with guns.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
Oh and by the way on your question what if someone breaks into my home and finds it? If I am home he will find out about it fairly quickly and not in the manner which he will like. If I am not home what difference would it make if it was locked up and unloaded?

widows son

Premium Member
All the education on guns wont stop the type of
Tragedy that happened. I think it's great though that your teaching your child to be responsible with firearms, but here's something that still is nagging at me. One day he will be ten. He will be curious. What's happens when you come home one day and see he and his friends playing with it? I'm not saying that he will turn the gun on someone, but the fact that the possibility is there. Don't get me wrong, I understand why Americans have guns, I just don't understand why one needs to walk in a mall with one, just to do some shopping. And if someone breaks into your house and finds a loaded gun, they can easily go and do what Lanza did, if it's locked away with the ammo separate and you got the keys, he might just give up.

crono782

Premium Member
The thought would be that instilling a healthy respect for guns at a young age would prevent said youngster from handling it improperly. A person intent on finding a weapon and using it for harm will do so regardless if gun control is in effect. You try the best you can to be responsible with your weapons. My primary reasons for owning a firearm is range shooting w/ a handgun (so I'd keep that one unloaded and locked in its case and home safety (to which I'd keep a loaded and ready 12 gauge near at hand, but out of sight and likely trigger locked; the whole purpose being quick access to fend off an attacker). I'm personally not a fan of publicly carrying, but that's just me.

Cgrobin

Additional laws restricting firearms won't stop this from happening either. While I'm of the opinion that a locked and unloaded firearm for self defense is useless, many states already have laws in place regarding just that. Connecticut is one state that has some of the most restrictive laws in the country, and already has a list of laws restricting firearm access.

Carrying a firearm while out shopping is exactly what concealed carry is for. One thing you won't hear about on national media is that a person with a concealed carry license could be responsible for the Oregon mall shooting not being even worse. The media is about as likely to admit their anti-gun bias as they are to admit that their coverage is likely a contributor in these events. While I should be used to it by now, their ignorance about guns and gun laws still blows my mind!