Question regarding the 32nd degree black cap

Discussion in 'The Scottish Rite' started by SivadSemaj, Nov 11, 2020.

1. SivadSemaj

SivadSemaj Registered User

Good evening Brethren and Happy Veterans day!

I recently completed my 32nd Degree in the Scottish Rite Northern Jurisdiction and would like to purchase the 32nd degree black cap I continue seeing in various places (Northern Light magazine, internet, etc). I'm not sure which cap is correct though. I wouldn't want to purchase a black cap and discover it was the Canadian variant or some other countries variant. I am of the Northern Jurisdiction and of a Pennsylvania Valley; my secretary does not know. Any help in figuring out which cap is correct would be greatly appreciated. Also as a side note, does the Northern Jurisdiction have a list of bylaws like the Pennsylvania Ahiman Rezon? Thank you in advance and have a blessed day!

2. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

NMJ does have statutes.

I would check with more senior brethren of your valley.

3. Winter

Winter Premium Member

When I was a NMJ SR member you almost never saw a black cap. Only the KCCH and 33rds I saw regularly wore caps. Are you saying you asked your Valley Secretary and he didn't know? That seems odd.

Glen Cook likes this.
  4. Tylerl90

Tylerl90 Registered User

From my understanding, the only difference is that the NMJ black caps are “Wings Up” instead of “Wings Down.” I’m a part of the SMJ though, so I’d double check.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

5. SivadSemaj

SivadSemaj Registered User

Yes I checked and he didn't know. I'll ask some of the senior brethren, but I'll be in the southern jurisdiction next month, and for the foreseeable future, and I intend on visiting Valleys once I get settled in. If there are no statutes saying no, then I fully intend on wearing one. Thank you all for replying.

Share My Freemasonry