My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refreshment Recipe

widows son

Premium Member
Cheese is big thing for me. The many varieties makes it as easy pick for any social gathering. Being Italian, naturally I go for Italian cheeses; Asiago, Grana Padano, Ricotta, buffalo Mozzarella. All these cheeses are distinct from their region they are produced. A cheese board with a few varieties, some cured meats, bread, pickled condiments such as Gardiniera, olives, roasted peppers, and even jams and preserves. All tof these items are fairly priced, the cheese and meat being the most expensive, but usually most lodges have enough people to make it worth the price, or some lodges have a small number so the cost is low. Here is a recipe for Ricotta cheese that can be made at home with ease.

Ricotta cheese, yields 4 cups ( 1 liter)

2 quarts (1.89 liters) whole milk
1 cup 35% cream
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Cheese cloth 3 pieces

Line a Thick bottom pot with the cheese cloth leaving some to hang over so I can be picked up, make sure they don't catch fire! Place milk and cream in a pot and bring up to a simmer. Place a thermometer in once simmering, the temp must be at 180 degrees F. Remove the pot from heat once the temp has been reached, and add the lemon juice, ad stir for 30 seconds, the mixture should curdle instantly. Add the salt and stir for another 30 seconds. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let stand at room temp for 2 hrs. Grab the excess cheese cloth and pull out of the pot with the ricotta mixture in it. Tie the top of the cheese cloth and place in a bowl to drain off the water. Squeeze the whey out periodically, within an hour. If you can hang it to drain that would work too as gravity will do all the work. Ricotta should be dry but moist and will keep in the fridge for about a week. After you've made the ricotta you can add and flavor to it, such as honey herbs or nut, it's really what you like. Salute!

CajunTinMan

Hey Widows Son speaking of Cheese, I am a cheese freak. But with renal failure that is one of my big no noos. Being a culinary man do you know of any decent vegi Substitutes?

crono782

Premium Member
From HER: Galaxy Nutritional has a big selection of veggie cheese products. Her favorite is "Veggie Shreds". Also Amy's has a good dairy free "margherita" pizza. You find both easily at any grocer instead of having to hunt for a hippie food store. ;) Tofutti Cheese Slices actually melt good for stuff like grilled cheese and patty melts, etc.
From ME (and by that, I mean I've gone on scavenger hunts to find this stuff for her since I'm NOT vegan): Tofutti Ricotta Cheese (and also their Sour Cream). So yeah, you can actually make dairy free lasagna! I've seen Dr. Cow (nut cheeses... i think) cheese wheels in stores before in a lot of different styles/flavors, but I've not tried any.

Oh she also recommended Wayfare Foods. They have a cheese sauce that's good for nachos and dipping. And also Galaxy and a brand called Parma have vegan parmesean cheese. She said you can get this stuff online super easy or places like Central Market.
Best of luck in your cheesy endeavors!

Last edited:

martin

In our lodge we r mostly Italian so is always prosciutto ,capicollo, mortadella ,cheese , wine, pizza ,pane,a nice frittata and always pasta

widows son

Premium Member
Haha Mangia cake. But as crono782 said, most cheese substitutes are soy based. Even medium tofu can be good sub, as it is high in protein. You can even find soy egg subs aswell. I have a cook book given to me by a friend who battled cancer, and it is full useful information. Even the steps in which you eat your food. I've personally tried most of the techniques and the health benefits were amazing, I lost 30lbs in 3 weeks, which sounds unhealthy but, when you see the techniques you'll see how it isn't. When I find it I'll msg you with the title etc so you can check it out. I know the health center it was made in was called sanoniv or something.

widows son

Premium Member
Anytime brother don't be shy to MSG me for info, even if I don't know directly, I usually can at least point in the right direction