My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regarding PHA members

tldubb

Premium Member
There's some interesting history about your jurisdiction. You're proud to be a member of what was known back in the early days as First Independent African Grand Lodge of PA. As you should be.

Absalom Jones is right in the history book with Prince Hall. Though they probably never met.

Events happened in your jurisdiction that spawned the formation of an organization that's still controversial in 2017. The National Grand Lodge, or Compact of Colored York Masons.

Are you familiar with this aspect of history in black Pennsylvanian Masonry?

Yes, and I'm not sure where you came with the notion they never met maybe not in person or face to face and still can't be certain of that. There were communications between them and thus Prince Hall along with the other African Lodges 459 that he started. Do you know what the other lodges were?

I'm quite aware of history of black masonry in my jurisdiction. But if you need more information go to www.princehall-pa.org look under history also read about Rev. Absalom Jones and Rev. Richard Allen.

bc220a9fa2320f1c17153b33859b9cf2.jpg
fd9809831efba3da4b73e8e1f40dc618.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

BullDozer Harrell

Isn't healing generally a PHGL thing? At least it has been in the past. The often overzealous challenging that happens to other masons is generally a PH mason thing. Unfortunately, there are some other 'things' that definitely would fall under being associated with PHA Masons. Being around Bro. Bill over the years, I knew exactly what he meant.

Yes, the intake process of healing a clandestine Mason takes place in some Prince Hall jurisdictions. My particular jurisdiction allows it.

It would probably be a great point of research for myself or any other interested person to nail it down for publication which PH jurisdictions allow it and which ones do not allow healing.

As for the 'overzealous challenging' or 'trying' of Masons outside of lodges, i don't deny it happening with many Prince Hall Masons conducting the improper examination.

But if i might say, it's more than likely not supported by customs, practices or usages within any PH jurisdiction. In cases where it does happen, it's more than likely done and people have taken the easy option to just file it under ' the PH thing ' category. And so it becomes known as just another peculiar something generally done by PH Masons.

Just another fly in the Prince Hall Masonry ointment.

Maybe these quirky behaviorial acts are done because they haven't been brought to the attention of people who have the power to address it so that it's either discouraged or discontinued as a practice? Just maybe.

BullDozer Harrell

You can add going in as a line although I am not sure every PHA jurisdiction does it. Most PHA jurisdictions also do not allow plural affiliations.
Absolutely. It's agreed that these are very true observations. There's only 2 Prince Hall jurisdictions that currently allow dual & plural memberships, Minnesota & Connecticut. Appreciate your use of the qualifying word, most. It makes the truth more accurate. And does help to take the sting out words. Can't stand when people say all or every.

There is no National Prince Hall Grand Lodge of America. They tried it and scrapped it long time ago.

Don't get me wrong. I see what people mean by saying, 'it's a PH thing'. Honestly i do.

BullDozer Harrell

Yes, and I'm not sure where you came with the notion they never met maybe not in person or face to face and still can't be certain of that. There were communications between them and thus Prince Hall along with the other African Lodges 459 that he started. Do you know what the other lodges were?

I'm quite aware of history of black masonry in my jurisdiction. But if you need more information go to www.princehall-pa.org look under history also read about Rev. Absalom Jones and Rev. Richard Allen.

bc220a9fa2320f1c17153b33859b9cf2.jpg
fd9809831efba3da4b73e8e1f40dc618.jpg

Fyi, the definition of 'met' carries with it a signification that a face to face meeting took place at some point.

Oh and yes, i'm very familiar with the other Lodges that made up the First Independent African Lodge. Prince Hall history is one of my study areas.

Did I upset you with my question? If so then i apologize. Honestly i love to discuss history. It's very interesting how Prince Hall Grand Lodges formed and expanded from a single original Mother Lodge.

Today we have multiple Independent jurisdictions that originated from African Lodge #459 (Mass). To follow their start, growth and development are like the best detective pursuit for me.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Appreciate your use of the qualifying word, most. It makes the truth more accurate. And does help to take the sting out words. Can't stand when people say all or every.

Just messing with you, Brother. But there was a method to my madness. Still waiting to see if that term is actually in any PHA ritual or was someone kinda exaggerating or alluding to something else. I'm curious now.

BullDozer Harrell

Hey i never got an answer about the part of Pennsylania's history concerning the events leading to the formation of the National Grand Lodge from that guy? Lol

Django357

I find this post hard to believe because I know what I had to learn and go through to achieve my light. Are you sure that you did not meet someone that was not actually a MM regardless of affiliation ?

Sent from my iPad using My Freemasonry mobile app

BullDozer Harrell

Well my Brother in PA, i'm sorry that my approach to this discussion was seen as ego driven. Honestly I'm puzzled by that. I actually talk about Prince Hall Masonry quite alot and usually enjoy it. My ego doesn't enter into most discussions. Why would it?

But in any event, I was thinking to talk about a subject which maybe you have very little care or interest about discussing. I was simply warming up to talking about mid 19th century events which happened with the only 3 African Grand Lodges in existence at that time.

A historical event called the formation of the National Grand Lodge took place in 1847. Incidentally the First Independent African Grand Lodge of PA, as it was known at the time ,was in the thick of it.

I've seen it documented in the history part 2 section of the www.princehall-pa.org website so it's not a new revelation of info coming from my lips.

Simply was trying to spark a conversation.

tldubb

Premium Member
Well my Brother in PA, i'm sorry that my approach to this discussion was seen as ego driven. Honestly I'm puzzled by that. I actually talk about Prince Hall Masonry quite alot and usually enjoy it. My ego doesn't enter into most discussions. Why would it?

But in any event, I was thinking to talk about a subject which maybe you have very little care or interest about discussing. I was simply warming up to talking about mid 19th century events which happened with the only 3 African Grand Lodges in existence at that time.

A historical event called the formation of the National Grand Lodge took place in 1847. Incidentally the First Independent African Grand Lodge of PA, as it was known at the time ,was in the thick of it.

I've seen it documented in the history part 2 section of the www.princehall-pa.org website so it's not a new revelation of info coming from my lips.

Simply was trying to spark a conversation.

The conversation/thread was on the practice of "walking the Tyler's Sword". I'm very familiar with the history of my jurisdiction.
No, hard feeling if you are ever in Philly, we meet every 3rd Sunday 1pm, 4301 North Broad street. Also check out GL of PA, 1 Broad street www.pamasons.org.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There's only 2 Prince Hall jurisdictions that currently allow dual & plural memberships, Minnesota & Connecticut.
Since that subject has been brought up, I've always been curious as to why dual & plural memberships are generally disallowed in PH. Many of our smaller GLoTX Lodges are surviving mainly due to plural members.