My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Request for Database opinion.

Curtis Wilson

I have written a database program for Local Lodge databases and several Lodges use this software to maintain their membership listings, and process reports. Its in its 3rd year I believe and is free for any lodge to use. It is a simple database that has one button actions that do not require you to enter queries each time you want a report. I did this so you do not have to be computer literate to maintain a computer database for the lodge. It is also Open Source so anyone with knowledge can improve it for everyone. Soon I will have the database set up for download anytime instead of by request. The next revision should be less than a month away, depending on my work load.

I sometimes take breaks from work to look at the next revisions for the Lodge database Software.
One of the upgrades I'm stuck on is that I want to list appendant bodies. Obviously Chapter, Council, Commandry,
But what other York Rite Bodies would be common enough to include without it becoming a Chapter and Council database. Think State wide what is needed. It is easy to think I belong to this or that and want to include them also. Or we can go extreme and include everything under the sun, but many times members go through the Blue Lodge on to bigger and brighter places in the York Rite, Scottish Rite, and Shriners, leaving the Blue Lodge behind.

So I'm on the fence on how big to make this. My current thought is to include:
Chapter/Council/Commandry;
The the Scottish Rite Southern council/ 32 degree/ 33 degree
Shriners/ Shrine Clowns/ Shrine cars;
OES;
Order of Demolay;
Order of Rainbow.
Others including those that are by invite can be added to the additonal notes area that is provided.

I left places for 10 plural member lodges including the member's Mother Lodge to be listed. That should be enough to cover Shorty Johnson!
I'm also debating to include a check box for each item. That way if you know the member is also a member of the Chapter and Council, but
Don't know the Name and Number of that Chapter and Council, you could still check the box listing his affiliation.

Interested in your comments. Last minute Suggestions? Mentor Trainer is covered, as well as a check box as to what is prefered, mailing or email communications.

A7V

I think you have it right.

Are Shrine Clowns and Shrine cars really needed though?

The only other things I can think of are maybe the Lodge of Research as it is a unique Lodge.

If you added everything your database would be huge. I mean I can think of maybe 3 things off hand you have to be York Rite to join, and then there is the Grotto and the Texas College, S.R.I.C.F. which is invite only, and the High Twelve Club.... wow there are so many.

Just go with what you got!

Bigmel

Premium Member
Premium Member
Brother Wilson
I use your Program and I appreciate the time you have put into it. Since the York Rite is not computerizes like the Blue Lodge it would be nice to have a datebase for them on computer. I like the Idea of having the following included in database file. Chapter/Council/Commandry;
The the Scottish Rite Southern council/ 32 degree/ 33 degree
Shriners/ Shrine Clowns/ Shrine cars;
OES; Primarly because most of our members and myself belong to most of these
I like the check box idea. When you get it ready I hope you will send the link again. If I can assist let me know.
Melvin Megason
Sectetary,
Border 672
Texarkana, TX
melvin@melvinmegason.com
Bigmel@cableone.net

E

eagle1966

Bro Curtis, I would be very interested in getting your database software please PM me with details