My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish rite craft degrees

widows son

Premium Member
I've heard that in some states the AASR performs the craft degree as well as 4 -32. My question is, what is the difference?

chrmc

I think there was a discussion on it recently, but as I understand some states use the first three degrees from the Scottish Rite as their Craft degrees, where most of us essentially use the York Rite ones. Not completely sure about the historical background, but believe they essentially are made by two different people and have some variances in the degrees.

chrmc

I may be wrong, but believe Louisiana my work the Scottish Rite degrees. Don't take my word on it though, just thought I heard it once.
Believe they are sometimes also refered to as the Red degrees, as opposed to the Blue Degrees.
(Someone please correct me if I'm totally wrong)

Traveling Man

Premium Member
Last edited:

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I haven't been yet, but I fully intend on visiting a "red" lodge next year when I am in New Orleans. I have heard that there are a number of differences to the Degrees, especially the 3rd.
If you know anyone in SR up north, there was a 3rd performed recently at the Valley of Chicago. (If my fading memory serves.)

Trip

Premium Member
Two questions. 1 Would you have to be a member of the Scottish Rite to visit a "Red" lodge? 2 Is the jurisdiction closest to Texas in Louisiana? This would be great to experience.

chrmc

Two questions. 1 Would you have to be a member of the Scottish Rite to visit a "Red" lodge? 2 Is the jurisdiction closest to Texas in Louisiana? This would be great to experience.

1) I don't believe so. The first three degrees are just from a different background and ritual, but they are still "blue lodge".
2) Believe so.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Ya they are craft lodge degrees, so it would be a problem to visit.
Actually, there is no problem with visitation. There are Lodges that work the SR 1-3 Degrees are members of the Grand Lodge of Louisiana. Etoile Polaire #1 comes to mind as a good one to visit if you're in New Orleans.