My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Rite or York Rite

Seeves

I hope it isn’t against the rules, but I’ll be posting this in both forums because I want to hear from both parties.

I’ve been a MM out of East Liverpool Lodge #681 since 11-8-16. I am wanting to get more active masonry and have the opportunity to go York or Scottish Rite. I’ve wanted to be a Templar Knight since I started my journey. But I do like the passport and degree work in Scottish Rite. A friend of mine who is in York Rite told me that Scottish Rite is more of a fast track way of doing the degree work and York Rite is more of the old way. I feel like eventually I will join both bodies; however, at this time I only have time to contribute to one. Going York Rite will support my mother lodge as it’s in the same building, but joining Scottish Rite will allow me to be more active in Masonry because the local Valley (I believe they’re called) is much closer to my home. So to help aid me in my decision I have a few questions.

1. Are the stories and knowledge the same in both?

2. If I join Scottish Rite first will it take away from the degree work done in the York Rite or Vice Versa?

Any help is greatly appreciated brothers. Excited to continue my journey regardless of what path I take.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
This is a very personal decision. Each person has to travel the path that most reflects their beliefs and desires. I belong to both and am very "in" to both bodies. The way that I explain my feelings about them is I really, really like the Scottish Rite but I love the York Rite. I will answer your questions to the best of my ability but keep in mind that this is strictly my personal opinion.

1. No. There are some similarities but distinct differences also. To me the York Rite is closer to an on
going extension to the Blue Lodge than the Scottish
Rite.
2. Again, no. Either one you decide to join first is a system within it's self and in no way will detract from or spoil your experience in the other.

Seeves

This is a very personal decision. Each person has to travel the path that most reflects their beliefs and desires. I belong to both and am very "in" to both bodies. The way that I explain my feelings about them is I really, really like the Scottish Rite but I love the York Rite. I will answer your questions to the best of my ability but keep in mind that this is strictly my personal opinion.

1. No. There are some similarities but distinct differences also. To me the York Rite is closer to an on
going extension to the Blue Lodge than the Scottish
Rite.
2. Again, no. Either one you decide to join first is a system within it's self and in no way will detract from or spoil your experience in the other.

Thank you. I think from the two responses I’ve received I think I’m going to try and. Pledge both

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app