My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skull and crossbones in S&C

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
In a FB forum, it was stated that only recently was the G adopted in Texas symbols. Previously, it was skull and crossbones. True?

Last edited:

Winter

Premium Member
If God is English then G is entirely appropriate. It could of course also be the Arabic Q - value 100 indicating the 100th and secret name of God - the lost word?

The skull and cross bones seems to refer to Osiris (raised by Horus/Hiram) or even to Horus the Elder.

Or the skull and crossbones in Freemasonry represents exactly what we teach that it means, a memento mori. A remembrance of death. No need to confuse such a simple and elegant symbol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Winter

Premium Member
In a FB forum, it was stated that only recently was the G adopted in Texas symbols. Previously, it was skull and crossbones. True?
I'm curious as well if this is the case. Regardless of the symbolism.

Bloke

Premium Member
I'd be interested in the answer to the question too. If we are laying bets, I'd say probably not true that the S&Q would be have the skull and crossbones in the 20th Century.... but maybe prior ?
@Bill Lins ?

Winter

Premium Member
I'd be interested in the answer to the question too. If we are laying bets, I'd say probably not true that the S&Q would be have the skull and crossbones in the 20th Century.... but maybe prior ?
@Bill Lins ?
My EC Lodge still uses the symbol. I think it means more to Lodges that use a Chamber of Reflection.

Bloke

Premium Member
My EC Lodge still uses the symbol. I think it means more to Lodges that use a Chamber of Reflection.

It's a central (and probably universal) symbol in the Craft... but was it used instead of a G ?
Then the question is, how - in seals, in the middle of the S&Q, hanging in the centre of the lodge etc etc?

It's like the G itself - hanging here (in Victoria Australia) in the middle of every lodge - but you will not see it on our official logos of S&C etc etc.. and the .. oh my.. I have never notice that before S&C (which I use and Square and Compasses, and then Skull and Crossbones.. S&C).. how interesting...

If you look, you will find the G in at least two places in our lodge rooms, if you look, you will find the Skull and Crossbones also in at least two places.. and not abstract representations, but in forms a two year old could recognise..

Winter

Premium Member
For us it is mostly found in jewelry and such. Since we meet old style without an official lodge building, rather on the upper floor of a private dinner club, we don't have any of the normal trappings you see around lodges today. For any ritual items used during meetings or degrees, we use what is termed a "Lodge in a box". Everything we need literally breaks down and fits in box the club stores for us. And the box serves as our altar.
0a8def1e0bb86f261dec0678cc68ca7d.jpg

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
For us it is mostly found in jewelry and such. Since we meet old style without an official lodge building, rather on the upper floor of a private dinner club, we don't have any of the normal trappings you see around lodges today. For any ritual items used during meetings or degrees, we use what is termed a "Lodge in a box". Everything we need literally breaks down and fits in box the club stores for us. And the box serves as our altar.
0a8def1e0bb86f261dec0678cc68ca7d.jpg

What is your obedience, my Brother?