Someone who is Mason from Malaysia, I really need help.

Discussion in 'Becoming a Freemason' started by Firdaus Bakhtiar, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Firdaus Bakhtiar

Firdaus Bakhtiar Registered User

Hi, hello. My name Firdaus from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I am 34 years old Muslim.

Here is my problem,
    I really want to become a mason. I found that in my state (Kuala Lumpur) had 2 lodges, which it is 10-15 minutes from my house. Since i don't have any family members/relatives/friends a Mason and i don't even have any contact with any Mason, so i was decided to get to know about the lodges which it is just not far from house.
    I was thinking, even its only take 15 minute to get there, its better to call and make an appointment with somebody that can guide me or at least explain on what i have to do. Plus, i don't think i have chance to enter the building if i go there. So i try to call the lodge (DGLEA). The only information i got just an email address. And the most important i have to find 2 person (Mason) to get their recommendation.

Nothing helps me. My intention, make an appointment or get someone can arrange for meet or welcome me with info.

My expectation getting through by call, I thought, i can get somebody to talk with or set an appointment. I don't know how to express myself. A lot of things that really reflected my expectation. And its not my attention here to complaint or spread that matter. I just put that matter as my problem to get to know someone who is a mason to guide me or help me.

I felt frustrated. They don't know how serious i am and how deep my interest to become a mason.

I really need to find someone who is a Mason from my country in this forum. I really hope someone can help me. Do private message me.

Truthfully,
    Ahmad Firdaus

2. David612

David612 Registered User

I assume there’s a grand lodge-
    Email them.

3. Thomas Stright

Thomas Stright Premium Member

Find out when they have their stated meetings and show up 1.5-2hrs before. Here we socialize before our meeting and this is where we get to meet and know those who are interested in joining but do not know any members.

4. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Its not universal though. Not all GLs allow non-masons to just show up. If you did here in Sweden you would be asked to leave. But we hold all meetings on a specified degree. We have special dates where non-masons can come.

5. Thomas Stright

Not talking about attending the meeting.... Why would any GL prohibit potential members from attending any non-tiled event?

6. David612

David612 Registered User

If you turned up to my lodge 2 hours before the meeting you would be waiting an hour and a half till anyone else got there...
    I’d recommend reaching out to get an invite rather than just rocking up.

7. Mike Martin

Mike Martin Eternal Apprentice Premium Member

Hi there,

Your best bet is to write a letter (postal NOT email) to the District Grand Secretary and in that letter you should introduce yourself telling him who you are and what your job is and tell him why you wish to join a Lodge.

He will then decide from there what action to take.

8. Thomas Stright

Our Stewards are there sometimes hours before lodge preparing dinner, Since he's only 15mins away, Why not just show up and get info first hand on how they handle this situation?

9. Winter

Winter Premium Member

Bloke likes this.
  10. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

One reason is honestly security, lets face it. Freemasonry is not liked by everyone and in some places there are risks of attack by anti-masons.
    Another reason could be that almost all meetings are tyled and based on degree.

Bloke likes this.
  11. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Personal Safety - there have been issues in Malaysia.
    Not sure it is "prohibited" but they are definitely not going to take you in off the Street as might happen here (Australia) or in the States..

http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2016/02/malaysian-anti-mason-group-shuts-down.html

Thanks Brother Winter.

Malaysian Freemasons are going to be cautious because of issues in recent years in the Country.

Winter likes this.
  12. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

The title of your post implies you are a mason. Then the content says you're not a mason. You seem to be off to a bad start in the process, Ahmad.

13. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

I don't think English is the OP's first language. I read the title as him addressing it to "someone who is a Mason in Malaysia", then requesting help, rather than trying to imply he is a Mason.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

David612 likes this.
  14. Winter

Winter Premium Member

That's how I read it as well.

15. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

I see yalls point.

Bloke likes this.

Share My Freemasonry